EOS Imprint Medal

MorganzaMorganza ✭✭✭✭✭

Putting up an event that will require travel for most people who don't do portal scans on a major US holiday weekend with three days notice is just rude.

I understand that getting Ingress players to do free labor for Niantic is a big part of what keeps the game financially viable, but portal scans are boring, tedious, flaky, and contribute nothing to the game except the possibility of another way for your overeager graphic designers to trash it.

8000 points for gold is

8000 glyph patterns (is that complete glyphs or would someone get 4 points for getting 4 of 5 correct on a level 8?)

2000 Liberator

889 links over 1 km long (and thus not under a perma field)

320 fields over 50 KMU

500 portal scans

(Or of course mix and match the above.)

Tagged:

Comments

• MxxMxx ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Badge requirements look brutal for a 10-day long event, especially with 3-day notice. It's not even enough time to let any existing fields to decay to prepare the area! Obviously the other side won't be killing existing links so not to help.

Portal scans are just bleh! Tedious, boring, crashy, disconnected from core Ingress gameplay.

Plus the losing side is punished even more by not getting that bonus...so even less desire to participate, and only feels like a chore and a grind.

Post edited by Mxx on
  • BeVewyVewyQwietBeVewyVewyQwiet ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Disappointed that the hour investment to even get bronze looks out of reach. 50k fields are not available in my normal play area. I have been getting errors saying my scans are invalid despite walking around large sculptures and memorials outdoors with good lighting. I would be willing to put in time for such nice medals but this doesn't seem possible for so many players that are more rural than my suburban play area.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

feel points for portal caps is way too low since u need go out to do that... i agree even bronze do glyph hacking and caps is tough in that time frame

• katzenverwalterkatzenverwalter ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

https://www.ingress.com/news/eos-imprint-2022/ says "Links shorter than 8km in length can be created under Fields (all other preconditions still apply)", so permafields are not a real problem.

• @NianticBrian @NianticCasey

" 1 point for each Glyph pattern correctly drawn."

Please Clarify this. If the portal is a L3 to L6 and has 3 Glyphs, will I get 1 point or 3 points for getting all glyph patterns correct?

Also, Could you put a "2x Bonus" if you glyph Complex AND get all them correct (i.e. 3 above wound be 6 Points)

• LilmavericLilmaveric ✭✭✭

I understand that portal scanning is awkward and a lot of people don't enjoy it.

I don't mind scanning. If I didn't live hours away from any city of real size I would try chasing Scout Controller but that's a whole other thing.

It doesn't seem like a difficult event to me. I just pre scanned 350 scans this evening. Can upload them when the event starts.

• MxxMxx ✭✭✭✭

Good luck getting 50k+ MU fields with links shorter than 8km🙄 That's only highly populated cities and even then not that easy.

• boredcacherboredcacher ✭✭
    edited May 2022

On top of that, it would be GREAT to get 5 tiers for event medals as well.. (8000 should be Onyx for this event) That'd make this event 500/1000/2000/4000/8000 for the levels

• nidyaanidyaa ✭✭

During OSIRIS Sequence, we only have to win to get a winning faction medal recognition.

Now winning only adds to 25% points where metric is only temporary....

• edited May 2022

It's also a horribly "terror inducing" method.

"You only have to get 6000 points, but the extra 2000 won't be applied until after the event when you can't get more points". There's a high expectation of it working just fine... but the same could be said of things like Kinetic Capsules etc.

I predict many people will go for the 8000 points before stopping, just to ensure that they know they're going to get the badge and no mistakes in the application of the 25% will cause them to miss out.

Post edited by Perringaiden on
  • Years ago, they explained that they don't give out Platinum or Onyx badges for events, because those badges are expected to take more than a year to complete under normal play, so giving them out in a single weekend or 10 days would devalue them.

looks at Illuminator and Recharger. *sighs*

• I only commented on OPs "can't link under permafield" assertion.

• Watch how they "increase" the scan limits just for this event

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

if u dont scan even getting bronze glyph hack and cap feels underwhelming....

• GyroninmotionGyroninmotion ✭✭
    edited May 2022

Why do I have to search the internet to find the announcement? Can't find on these community forums. Got a telegram message link to https://www.ingress.com/news/eos-imprint-2022/

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Which is about normal for these medal events. I don't know why you're pretending otherwise.

The real skill required for these events is "making big plans on short notice," which is a skill more Ingress agents could use, honestly.

Post edited by XK150 on
  • rz231rz231 ✭✭✭

One more useless badge.

• Wait, what? 50K MU, not 50 MU?

(Checks Agent-Stats)

I've throw exactly one field greater than 50K MU in my entire ~9 year Ingress career and I've completed ~125,000 fields.

• AnderorAnderor ✭✭

The requirements are demanding and not adapted to smaller cities. Even if I connect 3 cities around, I will reach the limit of 20k. Occupying so many portals and creating links is also unrealistic ...

And how many people will begin to scan the sidewalk? Need to have thousands of useless scans? Especially when it works the way it works. When I try to scan e.g. building, part of the building, fresco, statue - 50-75% of scans end up with "failed". Of course, people look at what I'm doing, I'm filming them without letting me. And the flashlight in the mobile it discharges extra fast, and sending scans takes hours ... The sidewalk scan is mostly 20MB. The new event will be what then? Who has a nicer sidewalk?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

u can scan few portals multiple times, niantic needs data even surroundings so u can submit valuable data even on few portals and still get the badge, its just very tedious and not very fun, i got today a few times black screen for some reason after a few scans, had to restart a few times during the 2 hour walk i did.

also yeah many portals are hard to scan due to size, people in way etc.. dont scan those i skip alot portals too for those reasons no point try scan something if its too much hazzle.