Random corruption of sprites/images.

A restart will this. Any element can become corrupted.

Also sometimes get blank map and redacted text!!!

Again, restarting fixes the app fixes the problem.

Sometimes the problem will go away by itself. Other times, the app will crash out and restarting is the only way back in.

Tagged:
5 votes

New Report · Last Updated

Comments

• I saw this but only on my Pixel 6, and was trying to see it might be something related to Exynos (for example Samsung Galaxy A12, F12, M12, S21 5G, S21+ 5G and M21 2021 Edition) or Tensor chip. What phone and Android version are you on?

• I was seeing this before our recent Unity 2020 upgrade, but had a hard time reliably reproducing it. As you said, it also happened randomly on my Pixel 6. If you do find a way to make this happen, that would also be helpful to know. Thanks for your report.

• RatooRatoo ✭✭

I have seen similar pixelated corruption on my Pixel 6 Pro, though less severe.

• I can trigger this bug on my Samsung s21 fe.

By for example: uploaden 10 portalscans or submitting a portal.

• CrownanCrownan ✭✭✭

With my Oneplus6 the corrupted text is usually when I scan Alot and then I mean alot.

• ArrayQueueArrayQueue ✭✭✭

I'm on a Google Pixel 6 Pro. Android 12.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been happening since at least version 2.55.1-e9974a5f, see report from September 2020 and still happens today.

Not to mention assets in general not loading being a new problem.

One thing I noticed is the corrupted image in the screen shot I showed actually had bits changing. Reminds me of old school poorly written windows code. Something isn't respecting the memory boundaries and getting hold of memory that's not appropriate. Modern libraries shouldn't be capable of this. But I suppose unless you've had experience in writing this sort of stuff, writing defensive code is a lot harder than it would seem.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

I got it on S20 after only a few portal submissions and scans.

Some more examples today.

I have to guess where the portal is!!! A new fun "feature"!

• thundercracker1thundercracker1 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Just a few I have collected since scaling up my portal scanning in the last 2 days. I think the best one I have seen so far is the scanner main map view in a resonator slot in the deploy carousel complete with shimmering mini portals.

The last one posted above seems like a good example of an in game item image being displayed in the place of a portal picture.......very odd.

There definitely seems to be a link between scanning and these odd image rendering/swapping bugs.

I'm on a Samsung S21+ 5G Android 12 dating from 1st April 2022

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Samsung Galaxy S10e on Android 12 - and yes I had scanned some portals.

• Multiple times a day for me!. Mostly happens after scanning, but it also happens with normal playing although way less.

I am on Samsung s10e. This bug also happened on my previous phone the Samsung S9.

One person in my local group also experiences these bugs and that person is on the Samsung S20FE

So. The community has many examples of the problem. So how do we enable the debug builds with a load of logging enabled and where do we send crash reports?

And it is right at this point I wish this was an open source game so we could fix it.

I thought the previous incarnation was REDACTED???

I think Niantic would make a terrible spy organisation they've redacted everything except my Agent name!!!

• Bump this since looks like this bug is still present in 2023, and yeah, mostly happen to Exynos (and Tensor by Google) chip phones.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

yes this bug comes with scanning and is as old as scans 😅