[Feature Request] Scanning Result Status

One of the things shown on the Niantic Support page for scanning is this '3D map of a portal'.

Looking at the GIF there's clearly more points of reference needed to complete the model, but it also shows how far it's gotten.

It's probably not an Ingress feature and more of a Niantic Lightship feature across all products, but it would be really motivating when it comes to Portal Scans, if we could actually see the 'status' of a given portal.

Current Point Map

Like the above 3D rendering, being able to see a given portal's current model, and how complete or incomplete it is. Obviously this would only be for portals past a certain point where an initial model can be begun.

Total Scans

Another state might be simply listing the number of completed scans of a portal. That way someone can add more quality scans to the ones they want to see turn into models, and see some sort of ongoing counter of their work, until a point where a point map can be generated.

Actual Rendered Model

The final range of states would then be a rendered model that can be viewed, though for IP control reasons, maybe only a video of the rendered portal's current state.

Goal

It's clear that it's Niantic's goal to scan many portals and generate a database of 3D models globally. The biggest problem for Ingress Agents, is that there's no motivation to do so. It's like throwing time and energy into a black hole. No matter how much you do, there's no (or very little) visible output. You only need 1 scan to be Scan Controller, and after a certain point, once you've scanned and scanned and scanned a given portal, you kinda want to know if your work was worthwhile.

Having some sort of status update on a given portal's scanning work, or as a POI on a Niantic Lightship website you can link to from the game or Intel, would definitely help motivate people to contribute.

Ingress is filled with people who "go the extra mile for a cool outcome". Having some sort of status on a portal's scanning would be a great motivation for people who take pride in their local portals.

Tagged:

Comments

• This will hopefully put more interest into defining & using good quality Points of Interests.

For example: Redefining "Footbridges" to REAL, unique and outstanding "pedestrian BRIDGES"...not boardwalks, drain over-paths or wooden pallet looking things 🤦‍♂️🤦🏽‍♀️

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

What you explained makes the word "real" subjective. A footbridge doesn't need to be decorated to still have the function as a footbridge. Any development can come in and pretty up a footbridge and make it look "real" when it reality all they did was spend more money on it with no history to it. Amusement parks are no different because they most likely have to build them as a requirement.

• As far as everything I've seen and heard, scanning does not get portals removed or change the criteria. Not every portal is a scan-worthy subject.

The goal of the request is to make scanning worthwhile and motivated. Not add to a bunch of years old arguments about criteria. 😉

• The 2 biggest problems with wayfarer is the biased people voting and the rubbish the biased people let threw

• This discussion has so many GREAT suggestions for making scanning more interesting, and fun!

I got both badges to silver, and will probably get Scout Controller to gold. I (and others) would be motivated by geeky stuff.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Communication is also motivating, but that seems VERY lost on Niantic unfortunately…

• By "real" I mean, a real point of "interest & unique." And an ACTUAL footbridge NOT boardplanks/paths/whatever the heck anyone can put their foot on just to get across a drain/tiny ditch lol.

Wayfarer has been slowly and gradualy redefining it's descriptions, which is good.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

I feel like being able to view the "completed" scan could also open up new gameplay with AR models. A new way to acquire items, 3D combat, new leaderboard options etc

There's lots of possibilities here that Niantic aren't properly exploring.

• MargariteDVilleMargariteDVille ✭✭✭✭

I can guarantee you that Niantic IS exploring gameplay with 3D models!

Niantic owns Ingress outright, so are likely to try 3D with us first, rather than pay royalties to Nintendo for putting it into PoGo or Pikmin.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

I see zero incentive to do scanning.

Last thing I want, with poor data and current lag, is for the client to have to download a 3D model, no matter how pretty.

I want slick fast interface with minimal data usage.