MYRIAD Ingress Anomaly Rules - Background Information

Agents,

Today we released the rules for the MYRIAD Ingress Anomaly. In order to arrive at these rules, for the first time ever, we invited the July Anomaly Points of Contacts (POCs) to actively collaborate with Niantic in determining the Anomaly game types and customizations. Thanks to this partnership between Niantic and the Ingress community, we believe we’ve come up with some exciting Anomalies that you can look forward to!

The POCs were provided with six main game types to choose from. These included Artifact Collection, Longest Link, Periphery Fielding Operation, Portal Capture Battle, Shard Battle, and Unique Portal Hacks. Enlightened and Resistance POCs provided Niantic with each Faction’s top three ranked game types that they wanted to be played across all of the July Anomaly cities. Niantic selected each Faction’s top choice for two of the game types. If the two Factions selected the same game type as each of their top choices, the Faction that submitted theirs to Niantic first would have had their second choice selected instead. The Enlightened selected the Shard Battle and Resistance chose Unique Portal Hacks as their top picks. 

Niantic wanted the third type of game type to be something both Factions wanted. If there was no common game type identified, Niantic was prepared to select one from the remaining formats. However, this proved not to be the case as both Factions submitted the Longest Link as the third preferred style of play. 

For the next step in Anomaly planning, the game types had to be customized and their variables set. The customizable aspects were known to the POCs and published at the beginning of the entire process. 

The Shard Battle consisted of the following six customizations:

• Is this winner-take all or proportional scoring?
  • What are the points per shard?
  • What is the maximum amount of Target Portals a Shard can touch to get the most points?
  • Can a Shard randomly jump if there is no link?
  • What is the level of the Portal required to make a Shard jump via a link?
  • How often does a Shard jump?

The Longest Link competition consisted of the following four customizations:

• Is this winner-take all or proportional?
  • What is the maximum amount of links to get the most points? 
  • Should there be a score multiplier for links?
  • Should starting Portals be Faction-specific agnostic?

The Unique Portal Hack consisted of:

• Is this winner-take all or proportional?

The variables were selected via a majority voting system. All but two of the aspects received nearly unanimous votes. “Can a shard randomly jump if there is no link?” and “Should there be a score multiplier for links?” ended up being about an 80/20 split. 

We are continually looking for ways to improve Anomalies and appreciate the ability and willingness of POCs to experiment with us. We have yet to determine at this time if this is a process we will continue in the future. But we wanted to let Agents know about the role and involvement their POCs had in shaping the upcoming events of the MYRIAD Anomaly and to thank them for their involvement and feedback.

You can find the rules at https://ingress.com/events/anomaly-rules

Tagged:

Comments

• fl00dfl00d ✭✭✭

Does this mean you are officially declining my request for a cheese-eating contest game type? 😁

• ThaldeonThaldeon ✭✭✭

Can shards go to Portals outside the anomaly zone?

Will links from/to Portals on the anomaly zone to portals outside the anomaly zone be destroyed as in previous events?

• RedSoloCupRedSoloCup ✭✭✭✭✭

No. The problem is no single cheese can be chosen as the representative of all cheese to be eaten. We are looking at doing a variety but the status of swiss a d muster are unknown at the time causing a bit of an issue.

• RedSoloCupRedSoloCup ✭✭✭✭✭
  • unagiramenunagiramen ✭✭✭

You're saying anomaly rule should be independent of the number of participants or "the less the better" ? I do not agree with the idea. I hope Ingress should encourage people to join and encourage people to invite friends.

• cb23kgcb23kg ✭✭

Hi Niantic, Why Bandung's time table still be in TBD?

• Is this the FAQ's FAQ?

• GargishGargish ✭✭✭

I'm a bit surprised that Unique Portal Hacks returns unchanged - it gives less points, but since there are only 3 game types instead of 4, this winner takes all score is only a slight reduction from 17.8% to 16.6% of total anomaly points. My impression was that it got exploited enough so that it could be considered tainted. Is the tour bus tactics returning in Myriad anomaly cities, especially Madison and Montreal?

• ViolaRoseViolaRose ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

I think this isn't fair, Look at it from this point of view: In a quiz that is graded on a "pass/fail" scheme, and you score, say, 66.6% (Excel in two of the three possible subjects, but, ultimately "failed" the third subject,) you should pass the quiz. You score above the threshhold.

IMHO, what made last anomaly such trash was because RES overwhelming lost in scoring of the two anomaly events, but because the third they were able to pull out a win. Yes I read the analysis when they came out, and I think all they did was muddle the truth in the scores.

Assuming an even split: Purple Team score 60 points in shard battle and Longest link. But score 0 points in unique hacks because winner takes all, they will tie the city even split 120/120.

Red team scores 40 points for shard, and 40 points for longest link... they are awarded 40 points automatically because they "won" unique hacks. Even if the delta is 1 hack... they will win.

Unique hacks SHOULD be proportional and scored the same as all the other competitions. No team should potentially win a site by such a small delta.

• falcobirdfalcobird ✭✭✭

They didn't muddle the truth. They saw the scoring mechanics and played to their strengths. I was in Chicago. Enl had an amazing ground game, and captured a ton of portals and shards. Resistance, from what I've seen, struggles a little with the ground game, so they didn't try to compete in an area that they knew they were weak at. They competed at the things that they were strong at, and having control of Hank paired very well with having the UPC as part of the scoring.

And you can see that both sides agreed that they wanted to keep the UPC winner take all in this anomaly as well. That means that the POC's didn't find it unfair. I expect that ENL will put up a hell of a show in the shard battle as they always do. Chicago was always the "mega anomaly" and was always scored higher than the other sites. I know you're disappointed, but look at it from the other side. We didn't cheat, we didn't bend the rules or break the TOS. ENL had every chance to do what resistance did. They used a different strategy, and it nearly worked (less than 4 points separating the two).

Let's trust that the POC's know what us players want to see in order to have a fun, fair game. Nobody wants a total blowout on either side - I've been on both sides of a blowout. Twice in Milwaukee, and once in Orlando. It's not fun. Fun is when the game is competitive and close.

• @Gargish Let me rephrase: It is fine to play unique hack challenge as ENL normally wins this challenge. If RES find a proper strategy a challenge is called tainted. Well....

@ViolaRose The following sites have been won because of unique hack challenge winner-takes-all approach: Chicago (RES) , Auckland (ENL), Nueremberg (ENL), Genoa (ENL), Ho Chi Minh City (RES), Bristol (ENL). That makes it 2 RES and 4 ENL wins. Yes, you have been in Chicago, I have been in Nuremberg :-)

• @Gargish Let me rephrase: It is fine to play unique hack challenge as ENL normally wins this challenge. If RES find a proper strategy a challenge is called tainted. Well....

@ViolaRose The following sites have been won because of unique hack challenge winner-takes-all approach: Chicago (RES) , Auckland (ENL), Nueremberg (ENL), Genoa (ENL), Ho Chi Minh City (RES), Bristol (ENL). That makes it 2 RES and 4 ENL wins. Yes, you have been in Chicago, I have been in Nuremberg :-)

• Please check the detailed results of past Anomalies. Portal Capture Battle could be 60-40, but link-related battles (Shard Battle and Longest Link) tended to be resulted in 70-30, 80-20 or even 90-10.

I don't think 40 points for the winner of UPH is big enough to have good game-balance.

• KatthKatth ✭✭✭

So the point reduction is put in place so it has almost the same impact as it would have with 4 game types. I think that's perfectly fine. You calling the hackchallenge tainted makes me smile.

I don't know if the bus tactic will return in those cities. What I do know is that in Helsinki we will use dogsleds and mooses to get around the playbox.