Comic Sans event: 500m under-field links

KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we keep it?

I'd much rather the link suppression be based on density of XX closest portals, but 500m works great for microfielding without breaking the game in the interim. If you want to stop agents from building under your field, it's time to move and actually attack agents' portals as they build, not lob a field over their head from miles and miles away and walk away.

Tagged:

Comments

• ArkFangArkFang ✭✭✭✭✭

The event details do claim that Comic Sans “may introduce a lasting change to the Scanner app’s functionality.”

So I guess, wait and see what happens after Horizontal Partitioning met “Wry Alm0nds. Sk1nny Lam.” during this whole event.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in two minds as to whether it should be kept. Fielding over the top of an error is very useful for clearing ops/anomaly play.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd a fully like it to be slightly longer, 1km rather than 500m, so just a but further than the scanner can see ..... mostly cause my home portal was about 800 meters from a line of portals and it would have been fun to link them all under the fields I'd put up lol

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

But i thougt huge fields that block is a problem? Cant expect newer agents be motivated take those out if its far off

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Why not make this an additional feature of linkamp/vrla/sbul? Underfield linking was tested two times(Matryoshka and this event) so seems this was kinda test.

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

Because from an inventory management perspective, it would be a super high cost to perform normal leveling.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

All about portal density. 500m is plenty in a densely portaled area.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

500 meters is only good in densely populated areas (or parks). Only reason I see it being good, is I can fix my issues when micro fielding to close up some holes or whatnot when I scr3w up. But doesn't that kinda take the fun of out of it, when you don't have to do it the right way?

Post edited by EvilSuperHeros on
  • RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, how about a compromise; allow links to the nearest 3 portals, plus any other portals within 500m.

This would mean 500m in built up areas, but would be generous enough to allow a bit of play in less dense areas.

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭

My compromise would be a limit of 4, instead of 8, links outbound from a portal under a field, with a link distance limit of a few km.

Add a link amp amp and you get the standard link amp free distance limit

Add a SBUL, get 8 more outbound links (or maybe 4 or 6) and the link amp distance limit

Something like that anyway

• Our mistakes in microfielding and the lengths people go to, to correct them, are definitely half the fun.

• LynoocsLynoocs ✭✭✭

Looks like it's staying!

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

Can we get an item that isn't 1/1000 hacks to remove team blockers? Or should I have a close friend go res and destroy links for me because this is untenable.

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

It seemed like it was inevitable and this was a sensible compromise. I'm glad that the link distance is limited.

• MonkeyPeltMonkeyPelt ✭✭✭✭

Lots of areas are dominated by one faction, so that faction is constantly getting in each other's way. This just makes that problem worse. I'm fine with this staying as long as they increase flip card drop rates 5x minimum permanently. And they need to push community more in the tutorial. This is going to **** team strategy by allowing solo agents to yolo like crazy without an easier way to undo same team yolos.

• Something like this would've been interesting. New items to enable linking under fields or having link amps have these kind of features. But of course Niantic is incapable of doing anything even remotely complex so they just break the game completely instead.

• i dont like the change, maybe for new accounts or until Level 8.

But for everyone is not a good change 👎

They did it! Big hand claps for Niantic! Thank you Comic Sans!

• its nise to have that possibility during linking events like Comic Sans, but I think it should be more restrictions to link under fields. Some of them: Maybe applyed all together:

linking only under big fields (for example if one/two of the links created field longer than 10/20/50 km so link under that big field is allowed. If links are shorter so not)

linking only under fields stayed longer than 5/10/24/48h more than 2/3/5/10 cycles

linking only if installed linkamp

only 1/2/3/4 links from portal allowed to establish under field

only if portal farrer than 5/10/20 km to field holding portal

maybe something more

So it will save possibility to create fieldarts. to plan mega fields etc. but also allow people to play if they live under field and can't remove it for long time for different reasons

I think there are absolutely ways to work on it. I'm appreciative what they have done in the short term without having to do a major re-code.