#MeetYouOutThere on Niantic Community Day; Together we’ll Invest In Our Planet

Agents,

On Saturday, 23 April 2022, Niantic Community Day will take place around the world across all of our Niantic games, and we invite you to attend in-person to meet fellow Agents and explore an event location near you. Don’t forget to visit unique, temporary Niantic Community Day Portals that will be activated for the event, take advantage of the events’ photo ops, and share your memories with us on social media using hashtags #IngressEarthDay and #MeetYouOutThere.

To find a list of in-person events, see the Niantic announcement.

Additionally, Jacksonville, FL USA will feature the following special activations:

• On Saturday, 23 April, NL-1331X Meetup at The Landing Park (open to all Agents, no RSVP required). Separately, Niantic CEO John Hanke will also be speaking at Sandlot JAX (a paid, ticketed event hosted by GORUCK)
  • On Sunday, 24 April, Jacksonville Mission Day (open to all Agents, no RSVP required)

We can’t wait to meet you out there!

For those who can’t make it to one of the official event locations, don’t worry — the Earth Day 2022 event enables new Kinetic Capsule Programs globally.

The Earth Day 2022 theme is “Invest In Our Planet.” This Planet in this Universe is ours, and together we should do our best to care for it. On this Niantic Community Day, move 5 KM with any Niantic game, and Niantic will plant a tree in your honor.

To support Earth Day, starting Thursday, 21 April 1600 UTC through Monday, 25 April 1600 UTC, NIA will enable the following new XM-Degradable Kinetic Capsule Programs:

• 5x L8 Resonators to 40x L1 Resonators
  • 5x L8 XMP Bursters to 40x L6 Ultra Strikes
  • 5x L8 Ultra Strikes to 5x L6 XMP Bursters
  • 1x Aegis Shield to 8x Common Portal Shields
  • 1x Very Rare Multi-Hack to 8x Common Multi-Hack
  • 1x Very Rare Heat Sink to 8x Common Heat Sink

Additionally, the following effects will be activated:

• Kinetic energy distance for all Programs reduced from 8km to 4km
  • The Optima Kinetic Capsule metric will return to your Scanner to track progress one last time

The reduced Kinetic Capsule distance only applies to newly run Programs, and does not apply to Programs already running prior to the start of this event. You must complete your existing Program, and only at running your next Program then the reduced distance will be used.

Even though Optima has been defeated and departed with the rest of Nemesis, the Optima Kinetic Capsule metric will return to your Scanner to track progress one last time. While the previous metric should go live at the beginning of the event, Agents must perform an in-game action such as a hack or recharge a Portal for their tiered medal to update should they have completed enough Programs during the initial challenge in 2021. Working on higher tiers of the Optima Kinetic Challenge medal is easier with Adventure Sync turned on.

On Adventure Sync & FITREP

• Adventure Sync connects with Google Fit or Apple HealthKit to record your walking distance even if the Ingress Scanner isn’t open. This distance is used towards the Trekker medal and also completing Kinetic Capsule Programs. Adventure Sync is optional and can be turned on or off at any time.  Note that the rolling 24-hour 40km limit on distance walked will remain regardless of Adventure Sync settings.
  • FITREP (Fitness Report) is a weekly summary of distance trekked and progress towards Kinetic Capsule Programs for your convenience.

Also available for the duration of this event in the Ingress Store:

• limited-time “Earth Day 2022” Medal (2500 CMU)

Use your creativity and insight heighted by XM in investing in our Planet. Share your Earth Day initiatives with us publicly on the Ingress Community Forum or Twitter during the event period with the hashtags #Ingress #IngressEarthDay

As always, please remember to be aware of your surroundings. We encourage players to follow local health and safety guidelines when playing Ingress (such as wearing masks and maintaining at least six feet/two meters of distance from other people). For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check COMM > NEWS.

— The Ingress Team

==========

Notes from thia

I want to be sure to re-iterate and clarify a couple of things with the Optima Kinetic Challenge being re-activated for this event.

1) If you are nervous about starting a Kinetic Capsule and it still being 8km instead of 4km (NOTE: 4KM NOT 2KM LIKE THE ORIGINAL CHALLENGES), you can verify before starting a Program by looking at the Kinetic Capsule before you go into MANAGE interface. 

2) Distance walked limit: The 40km limit is per-24 hour period and starts after you complete a Program, as a rolling 24 hour period.

If I redeem an 8km Program at 1100 (because I started it before the Challenge), I have 32km remaining. If I go out and finish a 4km Program at 1400 when the event is live, I will have 28km remaining. If I do no more walking, the next day at 1100 the 8km falls off and I have 36km remaining and at 1400, I am back to having the full 40km available. (I really hope that is not more confusing.)

You can do 40KM a day; FOR THIS EVENT it will take 4KM per Kinetic Capsule. During this event, you can complete 10 Kinetic Capsules MAXIMUM per 24 hour period if everything syncs like it should. The #IngressEarthDay event is 4 days long (if I used my fingers correctly.. Thurs-Mon). That means at 10 kcaps a day max and 4 days of event, at maximum perfection, you can complete 40 Kinetic Capsules in a perfect metaverse. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET THE GOLD OPTIMA MEDAL IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY MADE PROGRESS ON THIS MEDAL. See the original event and medal tier info here: https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/16676/coming-soon-optima-kinetic-challenge-ll

For those asking about NL1331X and Mission Day - a separate announcement (or announcements) will be made when finalized.

Post edited by NianticThia on

Comments

• Very nice 🤩

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

wow nice badge.

• 5x L8 Ultra Strikes to 5x L6 XMP Bursters

Is it really 5x L6 XMP or 40x?

• ZeIiaZeIia ✭✭

👍

• Ahora sí. Óptima te conseguiré. Solo me faltaban 3

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot to digest here.

Of note, interesting to see the ability to finish the optima challenge if you hadn't before...

• ikaros02ikaros02 ✭✭✭✭

Okay some of these programs are pretty nice, like the L1 resonator one.

But who wants to convert 5 U8 to 5 X6???

• I'm rural, and I have zero problems getting L1 res.

These programs are all backwards, spend something great to get something meh, at best... And walk distance to do it!

• PixelbytesPixelbytes ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

To quote the blog post:

We’ll continue to host Niantic Community Days through this summer, featuring all of our games, in locations around the world. This month, we’ve added 42 locations, totaling 65 locations globally – to continue our mission of inspiring people to explore the world together.

In addition, Pokémon GO Trainers can look forward to receiving more items every time they spin a PokéStop in more than 100+ places, also listed below.

Lastly, for any Explorers in the Jacksonville, Florida area – be sure to catch John Hanke and other Niantic Explorers at the Sandlot JAX Fitness Festival on April 23 (9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m) and April 24 (9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.) at The Landing Park, for a day full of adventure.

Orange: Meet up with other Explorers and Niantic brand ambassadors between 2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. local time.

Blue: Pokémon GO Trainers will find extra in-game items by spinning PokeStops.

Meanwhile does ingress agents get any bonuses for visiting those locations? (Unique portal? Battle beacon? Shards? Restock portal? Mission day?)

Post edited by Pixelbytes on
  • The NL-1331X meetup requires no RSVP. Will we receive upticks for the NL-1331 Meetup badge? If so, how will it be verified?

• Either way it's a bad deal. Not spending US8 for any number of bursters of any level, and getting to walk kms for the privilege of downgrading my inventory is just icing on the cake. 😂😂😂

• Are the kinetic recipes backwards for anyone else, or is it just me?...

:x

• Podrían aumentar los lvl de la medalla Óptima estaría de fábula...de todos modos buen evento :)

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

Last time I saw the van was Sacramento in 2019. We got credit for the badge by hacking the van portal. I'm hoping for those of us arriving in Jacksonville late on Saturday will still have a chance to hack the van on Sunday.

• OthinnMxOOthinnMxO ✭✭✭

I'm a bit low on regular Multi Hacks, so this event will be a big help in that regard.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

You can do 40KM a day; FOR THIS EVENT it will take 4KM per Kinetic Capsule. During this event, you can complete 10 Kinetic Capsules MAXIMUM per 24 hour period if everything syncs like it should. The #IngressEarthDay event is 4 days long (if I used my fingers correctly.. Thurs-Mon). That means at 10 kcaps a day max and 4 days of event, at maximum perfection, you can complete 40 Kinetic Capsules in a perfect metaverse. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET THE GOLD OPTIMA MEDAL IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY MADE PROGRESS ON THIS MEDAL. See the original event and medal tier info here: https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/16676/coming-soon-optima-kinetic-challenge-ll

@NianticThia I understand the program increase to 4 km but it looks like no one would be able to get gold unless they did 10 capsules from last year. This just seems like a further issue with the badge that never provided the tiers until its second appearance.

It just seems like the 10/limit is arbitrary. Why not just have it so if someone makes a program after hitting the 40 km max, the program is crafted but due to XM, the XM items become unstable? Or something like that.

• Please, @NianticThia get someone with firm German language skills to check the German language version of the linked "Niantic Announcements" (https://nianticlabs.com/blog/niantic-communityday-apr2022/).

It seems to be geolocated, so I can't access the original English language post on mobile.

The German language post is a mess. 3 languages mixed up (some English words are mixed in, the 3rd paragraph is completely written in Dutch), and also switching from informal to formal language and back (colloquial informal "du" is used before the map, while the text after the map suddenly is very formal and uses "Sie").

• nineteen8t4nineteen8t4 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Such an impressive looking Earth Day medal! I wish it could be earned for doing something for Earth Day instead of being just another purchased vanity medal. While vanity medals help fund the game and keep it alive, I feel that they also cheapen the Ingress experience.

Post edited by nineteen8t4 on
  • Like300WombatsLike300Wombats ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Umm...how about people who realize Aegis shields are just prettier junk mods (really...have you ever been stopped from destroying a portal you really wanted to destroy just because it had Aegis shields on it? 🤔) and really want to work in their Engineer medal?

• @NianticThia Please finalize any NL-1331 plans sooner rather than later...booking flights into Jax becomes problematic when trying to do it 2 weeks in advance, let alone a couple of days in advance. 😁

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

A physical Mission Day for Jax has been announced as early as February.

• Yay an event that i can skip.

Having some rest is great

• TEK4TEK4 ✭✭

@NianticThia Will Earth Day 2022 banner art be available? (As in Thia's researcher archives)

• WanderDragonWanderDragon ✭✭
    edited April 2022

Very pretty medal. Programs of capsules are some freaky.

With program 1x VRMH to 8 x CMH I will definitely use it., because i have too much of it.

I will definitely not gain a gold medal of Optima Kinetic Capsule, because i have 16 finished. And I may walk a lot ,but not enough to finish a medal. I walk to 16 km every day. It is a pity that it's not 2 km, maybe I would have gain this gold. Year ago i couldn't gain gold medal, because i did cold.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree actually. Especially with the fact that Niantic will be planting one tree for every agent or trainer who walks 5km on Earth Day. That would have been an easy one, walk 5km on Earth Day to earn this medal. But it's obvious, for the time being, there is no interest in mini-event based medals or anything like we're seeing PoGo, which I think is only doing them a dis-service in my opinion. Especially ones you can buy and then do at your leisure. I still have some events that are over a year old (where are you Landerous?)

Which, also, now that I'm thinking about it, kinda weak to charge for a medal based on Earth Day and not donate at least some of those funds, lol. And before you say, well, they're donating some trees. It's not explicably stated the funds from the medal will be used for those trees. So yeah, gonna think about that one before I buy into it.

• I have actually defended a portal for 40 minutes, that had 3 or 4 aegis. When the last shield were about to go off, a friend of mine was there to remodd, he found a very dissapointed blue agent. But this was a few years ago, and I think we were more the one to recharge. Possible many more. dont even know.

we actually held another portal with only 2 vr shields for a very long time, even thou it was 2 opposing agent firing bursters.

the shields, the number of links, the matter of us, and the opposing agents lazyness is the key.