Wayfarer Forums have an AMA, when is the next Ingress one?

Comments

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you said the Roadmap was coming shortly, likely within Q1 2022 @NianticThia but wanted to ask again about the AMA.

Would this be after the Roadmap so we can ask questions about that?

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Would love to see something Q3 or Q4 next year on the level of an anomaly or box challenge that encourages play in more than one box.

To come back to this, the Wayfarer forum had another AMA (December 2021) and are organising questions for April 2022’s AMA. Any more thoughts on when we may get one here?

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree 100% ^

• In fairness, @NianticBrian is the Senior Producer, not the Community Manager.

That said, it would be nice to actually have an AMA with @NianticThia or even have @NianticVK answer some relevant questions and have more community interaction.

They don't answer any questions...

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian should of used a more anonymous Niantic IGN for most comments and only his main when he was responding to something important. I'm not sure if Vanilla forums even supports proxying into another account/alias though.

Also, there should be someone or a group of someone's who are low level moderators, that can close threads, or merge them, especially in the bugs section.

Just like the Ingress AMA, we can wish for things...

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

We have discussed basic forum mod support on here but they obviously don't want to do that.

• That appears to be NianticVK alone for now, but there are a number of Niantic accounts with the capabilities if they choose to use them.

Unsure what XM Ambassadors actually DO.

• Nothing when it comes to forum moderation. XMAs are players, not employees.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

what about a live stream? ask questions live :P

Didn’t they have a live stream for one of the anniversary events? That would be nice but maybe limit the questions otherwise they will all be;

”lag fix when”

”redacted skin when”

edited March 2022

So - we have a Q&A on Niantic Social - at 3AM my time.

1) Why use a live Q&A when this is a global game?

2) Why not use the old format where players can submit questions for a day or so then answers are provided? (This actually works and is a lot fairer on players).

3) I don't know anybody using Niantic Social. Large communication ecosystems are ALREADY long established by the community. I really cannot see Niantic Social used for anything other than niche activities, like initial contact.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

1) I play another global game, where all the live streams from the producer happen when I sleep because I'm in the United States and the company is in Japan. Watching them after the fact still feels more personal than reading a textual summary. They also run Friday night / Saturday morning (my time), so I could ruin my sleep schedule for a night and have all weekend to catch up.

Now, that doesn't make for a great comparison with this text-based live Q&A, but my point is that there should be room to make some concessions for the fact that the developer is in a particular place even if their game is global. And for Niantic in particular, this Q&A is better than their usual silence.

3) Niantic Social is something all Agents have access to without needing another app or account. That's good enough for this Q&A. 🤷‍♂️

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

Also to tag on to 3): It's "advertisement" for a new feature that was released and which Niantic wants people to use. It makes sense to hold the Q&A on Niantic Social.

• Ingress Prime had a zoom session for Beta players with the product manager before it was even released.

Oh? That sounds cool. When can we have one those again Thia & Brian? 😂

For anyone who cares, I copied the AMA as it won’t be posted on the forums etc. Just to see what kind of questions were asked and answered for it.

🦔 PERIDOT AMA 🐉 

Q: Will Peridot be introducing other features to the game to increase interactions with adult dots? Such as mini-games, races, beauty contests, etc?

A: Lots of players have brought this up. A challenge with play dates is figuring out how the two Dots interact with each other, taking into account all the scenarios in which players could be co-located or remote from each other, and designing the AR experience with these cases in mind.

Q: Will there be a family tree function, so we can track our Dots family line? 

A: For family tree, that’s another one we’ve discussed and heard people say they want. I do like that that a user pointed out it’s be easier to track breeding. We’ve considered showing the entire family tree, or just showing the two immediate parents and immediate children. Just because it will get crazy technically showing the entire history.

Q: what is your favorite breakfast? 

A: Oh ummmm. I went to this flour mill the other day that has a restaurant and they have the best biscuits because you know, they make the flour. So I got biscuits and sausage gravy and it was soooo good. I get down on some biscuits and gravy.

Q: When will we see Peridot available globally?

A: We are so happy to see folks around the world eager to player Peridot! We don’t have any details to share at this moment, but will share updates to this platform and our social channels when we can. This soft launch is super valuable as it is an opportunity for us to test a variety of game features, understand performance, and collect feedback from an early group of players. So wanted to share a big thank you to you folks who are participating and sharing your early reactions and feedback. 

Q: What can you share about the drop rate of Psychedelic nests?

A: On Psychadelic Nests: the rarity of each Archetype is tied to the drop rate of the Wild Dots at Habitats. For the Nests, whenever you actually have that Archetype as your active Dot, there’s a possibility that the Dot will go on a Journey and bring back a Psychadelic Nest. Right now it’s only possible to get Archetype Nests through Journeys, all at the same “drop rate”. All the attribute Nests are able to be foraged.

Q: Will Peridot be introducing other features to the game to increase interactions with adult dots? Such as mini-games, races, beauty contests, etc? and hat functions do personality traits currently serve within the game?

A: On increasing interactions: we’ve discussed a lot of different interactions for Dots. We’ve heard feedback on things like fetch and mini-games so we’ve been tinkering with some different options. It’s definitely a priority for us. Beauty contests is an interesting one. I’ve been looking at games like Love Nikki for inspo on this lately. 

Q: will there be a reset when the game goes global/official? 

A: This is not the intention, we plan to maintain all accounts - I know I am already attached to my collection of Peridots :) If this changes, we will be sure to alert players asap!

Q: Would you also consider allowing friends to breed their Peridots directly/remotely without having to drop them off at Habitats?

A: On interacting remotely: yep definitely something we’re thinking about. I too have a bunch of remote friends, and I know during the pandemic a lot of people shuffled around and may not be co-located anymore. It’s really important to us that you can play with your BFFs remotely, whether that’s breeding or other interactions, like with play dates. I know my friends and I played Neko Atsume during the pandemic and just used a chat thread to share rare cats, we hope to have interactions in-game, or even in this social platform we’re chatting in now. 

Q: Will there be seasonal or holiday Dots appearing in the near future?

A: On seasonal Dots: I myself would love a Halloween Dot! We’re totally talking about this, and I’m really excited for what’s to come here. We have a few Archetypes in the backlog but we would love your help coming up with more, especially if they are seasonal!

Q: It seems we have a lot of HPWU alumni on this game. What lessons were learned by Niantic from that games highs and lows, that can be used for Peridot and future titles?

A: Would love to chime in on this question regarding learnings from past games. I can speak to my experience as community manager - HPWU had such an amazing and delightful community 💜 I was so inspired by how our players created experiences, like Wizarding Wednesdays, and formed everlasting friendships over playing our game! Today’s AMA has me smiling as I am so excited to see our Peridot community grows 😊 

Q: I want to wrap things up with a question I have for Alexia - what are you most looking forward to? (from NianticLola)

A: I’m so looking forward to getting you all and other players feedback implemented in the game, for one. But I’m also looking forward to all the memes and fan art and jokes that come out of Peridot. We’re already seeing people make art of Peridots and people on the team have made memes themselves so really excited to just see all the delight and fun come from this experience

Q: Any tips for people who want to get into game development? (From NianticLola)

A: oh I can answer the question about game dev! So for people looking to get into game design or dev, I’d highly recommend going to game jams, or just trying to make a game on your own. It can be on paper or a card game even. But just trying to make the systems and loops will help you practice. I’d also say keeping it simple is the best way to make a game. Something as simple as a personality trait system is actually a lot. It’s all the content and titles for it, the math for matching, and making sure it all works in the other systems. for game jams, the one I’d recommend is Global Game Jam. It’s annual and all over the world!

Any news on the next AMA? Nope? Okay, just checking.

Yeah, I’m bumping a few things to see if Niantic are listening.

Any AMA for 2022?

With all of the changes that are coming/have happened this year;

• Removal of QCaps
    • Task based system
    • Whatever happens when the cube is opened
    • Machina attacks
    • Anomalies no longer achievable globally (starting Q2)
    • Probably something else I have missed?

I think an AMA would be useful to host shortly @NianticBrian / @NianticThia so that players can ask questions about what’s coming up. It seems like you could have some spare “community management” time as the team are finalising Q2 events.

Please see here for how the Wayfarer team did theirs, on the same forum software you use.

dude, you're going to get the same replies

AMAs really aren't needed

edited January 2023

I mean, @NianticThia did say "when I feel like it".

Just waiting for the mood to strike and reminding them about the AMA possibilities, but appreciate your insight that you don't think we need one. I don't agree, but good to hear other views.

Then it will be whenever Thia feels like it, you don't need to bump this every time Niantic makes a change to something

That’s fair. I’ll remember to bump it when things don’t change too.