April - June 2022 Events Schedule: Kythera

Comments

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people think the pandemic is over. C'est la vie.

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

One Mission Day in Jacksonville? I'm glad to see MD coming back, but was kinda hoping for more locations.

The Optima Kinetic Capsule Challenge medal says "Completed kinetic capsule programs during the 2021 Optima Kinetic Capsule Challenge" in the description. If this challenge is being continued in 2022, seems like an edit to "2021-22" would make the description more accurate.

• Lol for those who whines about 65ap down to 10ap, get real. You have drones now so thats something to do from home if stuck.

Keen for more events yay

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Because it is. What terrible disease is still spreading killing thousands? Omicron is a mild flu.

And I get that we need to be cautious, but come on, saying we’re in still in a full blown pandemic just isn’t true. The virus is endemic and is here to stay.

Adapt, improve, overcome.

• MrNateJoMrNateJo ✭✭✭

I originally missed the recharge announcement. On the downside I will miss an easy 160k AP a day on the plus side I gain about 2 hours back.

24th March event "horizontal partitioning and interconnection" sounds like the Dark XM link event maybe links over score boundaries?

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Depends on box. Mine has portal density that I don't have to worry about. There are boxes in Western North America that would be sad if it went back to 300 sec. for the next hack.

• "The People" ask for a lot of things that niantic ignores - including not breaking the core of the game - but apparently Ingress isn't ingress any more because every single bit of this series is allowing linking under fields.

Don't know if Niantic has decided to just destroy ingress or not but it feels like it's moving that way - let's toss out the rules, break the game, and then wonder why people give up and stop playing.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

You have 600mill ap and still care about a time smidgen of ap - bye felicia

edited March 2022

It seems like overkill with the anomalies every month. I can't help myself and want to be on-site every time, but at this rate, I'm gonna eventually run out of VR and aegis shields unless they increase the drop rate for those items. I suspect many others will as well. Eventually we'll be defending portals at anomalies with rare and common shields. I think once a quarter would be just right.

edited March 2022

Where can we get more details about the Jacksonville, FL Mission Day on 4/24? I don't see it mentioned anywhere among all the events listed on the Sandlot JAX website.

Will it be an event that runs from 00:00 to 23:59 on the 24th, or will it be run during a specific time window that day? Will check-out be automated or in-person? Are there POCs for the event? Will Niantic give us these details so we can plan, or are they gonna tell us three days in advance?

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

No it quite clearly states a 10km across circle,

That's an insanely large playbox.....

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

indeed.. why so huge ? even past anomalies were alot smaller then that.. i dont understand?

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Niantic is trying to discourage large crowds (still) by spreading out the playbox?

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

On the one hand, it's nice that Niantic is soliciting feedback from Agents for potential anomaly sites.

On the other hand, the "optimal" 10km diameter for the playbox is so drastically different from previous anomaly playboxes that it behoves Niantic to provide some context and background. Otherwise, Agents cannot make informed decisions, which defeats the point of asking for their feedback.

I live in a city that's hosted an anomaly before, twice. I even helped put together the playbox submission for the second of those anomalies. A 10km diameter is, quite frankly, absurd on the face of it. It goes above and beyond the, and I quote, "d.eath march" that was our first anomaly.

For reference: 10km ~= 6mi ~= 2 hours of continuous walking, roughly speaking.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Loving that the event calendar is carrying on. Some agents are saying about burnout and it being like HPWU was. I don’t think it’s as bad as that, and I think it’s the right balance right now. I grabbed two months of HPWU via Plotter101 on Twitter as examples.

The longest break between events was 2 days in September 2021 and 3 days in August 2021.

Some months may have had longer breaks, I didn’t go through all of them, these two are just the ones I grabbed.

Towards the end, yes, HPWU had too much going on. Pokémon GO often has too much going on. So far, I think Ingress is about right?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

yes possible but dont u think its a bit overkill so huge playbox ?

It's pretty much going to be more GORUCK but as for the Mission Day itself, nothing has been stated yet

edited March 2022

I also was hoping different implementations of Second Sunday were going to be done here. We're really going to have Second Sunday be mission specific for 5 months?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Variation in second sunday would be nice not just missions

Indeed. As someone with Mission Day badge abandonment issues, I actually find that along with only one MD on the schedule kinda worrying.

• Could someone show us an example of a Playbox Area Map link? Maybe teach (tutorial) how to do it? Thank you!

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic has a Google Doc exactly for this purpose (it's what they shared with Anomaly POCs back before the COVID pandemic). They might be able to update it and share it with everyone. 🤞

In the meantime, I've copied and pasted the relevant bits from the Myriad version of the instructions into a Google Doc (it is, unfortunately, screenshots of text because I can't actually copy the text from the original Doc):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IeagkS95T2iq3LVsZjf80eaQtnbcerQ_wUmu-KzM5ns/edit?usp=sharing

Some of the directions might not apply to Kythera (e.g., the very last step of posting a link to a Slack), but they should at least give you an idea of how Google's "My Maps" tool works.

• edited March 2022

I thought Kureze was fun after a long break although I would prefer if future anomalies were more than just Battle Beacons.

I noticed May and June Kythera had application forms, any reason there's no signup for April?

Things I like about this post:

1. Re-evaluating pandemic gameplay changes and communicating in advance

2. Mission day with Hanke (probably won't be able to make it, still sounds v cool)

3. The mystery behind what is going to happen between March 24 and April 4. Those kinds of teasers in general

Things I am not a fan of:

1. Linking under fields (I'd be more ok if it were even more restricted like 1km or sub-level 8 only)

2. Xfac applications for Kythera anomalies (I do think it's good to do some vetting to make sure anyone in the are is actually willing to do the work to support an anomaly, not sure xfac application is the best way)