Purchased Items take inventory space

Comments

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

Do battle beacons award AP when they are activated? I honestly haven't noticed when I've used them.

• iFrankmansiFrankmans ✭✭✭✭

I completely agree on the fact that boost items should not take inventory up to a certain number (obviously).

And that you should be able to recycle them if you want to (taking extra clear warning messages into account).

However, ever since C.O.R.E. was introduced we have had this annoying lag every now and then, so it makes you think if more inventory is causing this issue. If that's the downside then please just allow for deletion of such items.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

lets say boost items up to 50-100 or so would be ok i agree that it shouldnt count in to your inventory. if someone wants buy lots of beacons why should they be punished? not like beacons break the game or anything...

• phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

Apex taking space is still an issue. I dont want Apex, but they come with CORE.

I'd prefer CORE not come with Apex.

If it must, I'd prefer Apex and other Boosts, don't take space.

If they must take space, I'd like an option to recycle them.

• GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭

for apex, just start them then turn the game off for half an hour. item gone.

• And re-asserting mine: Boosts shouldn't take inventory space, but be limited to 100 boosts. And either items past that consume space, or you can't hold more than 100 boosts at a time.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I just don't get the point of deleting them (but read on). Every item under the Boosts category grants you 500 AP - frackers, apex, battle beacons, beacons, and fireworks. The AP is a drop in the bucket compared to anything post-level 8 gameplay.

I do see one related argument here - fireworks are in this weird constraint as you can't delete them unless you have a portal nearby to use them. Apex don't have this restriction but I imagine the same effort can be applied here on allowing agents to delete premium items. Maybe place some form of temporary restriction on disabling deletion from new CORE loadouts to prevent any form of abuse?

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@MoogModular What potential mechanism for abuse are you seeing?

IIRC we used to be able to recycle purchased items, and the mechanism had an additional "Are you sure?" guardrail built in. We can still do it in Pokemon Go, and I haven't tried it in any of the other games. I just don't see the downside of letting people control their own inventory.

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason, we never had that mechanic. Even in PoGo it took like three or four years before it was finally implemented. The only way to delete premium items in Ingress is/was through bugs.

The potential abuse I'm seeing is someone saying they didn't get their loadout after deleting the items. I want to think the items are trackable but I don't think purchases show clearly on Niantic's end.

• I think Apexes are fun. They're a valid design feature of this game I play.

However, I forget to use them, so I've saved up 43. I do wish they didn't count on my inventory. (Plus my 4 frackers and 5 beacons.)

Or I wish I could drop them to someone who would get good use out of them. It's stuff I bought - why can't I drop one to a friend? Niantic was still paid for it, no matter who plays it.

There was a code recently that came with Apex. If I had known it contained Apex I would not have used it.

Please fix.

• edited March 2022

Honestly, at this point is just a silly complaint, easily fixed, attempting to deny nice rewards to everyone.

If you don't want passcodes with Apex, always check what's in the passcodes first.

edited March 2022

How do you check what a code will give you before using it?

INCOMING SUPPLY DROP FOR YOUWe know coming back to battle the opposing Faction is tough. To help support your battle, ITO EN has shared a unique Supply Drop passcode with you. Redeem it now to see what's inside.

Here's your passcode: ...

How to redeem passcode:

• Simple. Ask your friends. Your argument is that the things everyone else want, are somehow a punishment for you. If you don't know what's in the code and you don't like getting free items that everyone wants.... don't claim the code.

You're attempting to force everyone else to conform to your personal 'moral code' for Ingress. If you don't want Apex and you don't know what's in the code, you have a simple solution that doesn't interfere with everyone else's eager enjoyment.

What am I trying to force on other agents?

I'm suggesting that Niantic make 'boosts' not take inventory space.

• And @NianticBrian gave you an answer. Use them. And your response was "But I don't want the AP it gives me". You have a ton of solutions, none of which you are willing to do.

I didn't say that.

My simple solution is to avoid getting Apex.

-Avoid CORE

-Avoid buying stuff in the store that contain Apex.

-Avoid codes that contain Apex. It would be nice if Niantic disclosed what a code contains.

Brian suggested a danger of recycling kinetic capsules, but those are not a boost; Boosts are a category that includes apex, frackers, fireworks and beacons.

• edited March 2022

He also pointed out that unlimited inventory of Apex, Battle Beacons and Portal Frackers would be a paid advantage.

As I mentioned at the start of the thread, a limited additional space, such as a capsule of 100, or simply the first 100 don't count, would be a good tradeoff. You would eventually be stuck however, because you're not using them at all, or inventory wouldn't be a problem. Personally, I have less than 100 still and if I get too many, I literally just use them wastefully, like putting beacons on everything, or burning an Apex whenever.

But "Don't give us codes with Apex in them" goes against the sentiment of everyone else playing. You have options like not using codes without checking the contents, or using the items you receive such as starting an Apex before bed.

I didnt say "Don't give us codes with Apex"? You're putting things in quotes, implying I said them.

The request, is that boost items shouldnt take inventory space.

Or that boost items be recyclable. Not dropped. Not other types of items like kinetic capsules.

Although I would prefer kintetic capsules and key lockers not take inventory space.

Its not just Apex. I would have liked to buy BOGO Frackers and Beacons during the toast event, but didn't because they take space.

Your idea of limiting boosts to 100 would be fine. The current limit is 2000 boosts, which will be problematic. :-)

• I didn't say limit to 100 boosts. I said 100 boosts don't take up space.

You're putting things in quotes, implying I said them.

You should be clearer with your statements then.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll repeat this again. Purchased items that are fungible and replaceable, such as Apex boosts, frackers, beacons, should be recyclable.

I know Niantic knows how to do this as I've recycled a zillion premium battle passes in PoGo over the years. As one would expect there is one additional confirmation during the process, but I am granted the privilege of managing my inventory as I see fit. I don't have to join raids and not play them to get raid passes out of my inventory and I shouldn't have to use Apex boosts and do nothing in order to clear space.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

How would you feel about boosts not taking up 100 inventory slots, but after that they do take up slots?

Curious to see if a meet in the middle could be accomplished.

This isn't Pokémon Go. There's a different database here when it comes to premium items especially when it involves key lockers. You saw the amount of work that was needed just to change the COLOR of a keylocker when they upped the keylockers to 6.

You have control over your items. You subscribed to CORE knowing they grant you Apex items.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

@MoogModular Did you miss the non-fungible/replaceable part? Frackers and key lockers are different things. In Pokemon Go I can recycle things like incense and lucky eggs but not a mystery box or the camera.

And no, I don't have control over my inventory other than withdrawing the financial support from Ingress that I very much want to give them.

Do you have a logical argument against being able to recycle things in our inventory other than you don't want it yourself? How does my being able to recycle beacons, frackers, Apex boosts have a negative impact on the game?

Did you miss what I just stated about how the inventory is managed on Ingress? You don't remember the topic about the request to change the color of keylockers?

If that effort is required to just remove ANY premium item, is it worth it? Do note that it seems Thia has to also play as support for those issues as well.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember anything about key locker colors, no. And sure, it's possible that there's something in the Ingress internals that would make this impossible, although since it used to be possible it seems likely that it's feasible.

Step back, though, and think about it just from a usability and gameplay standpoint. What is your objection to getting rid of inventory items that you don't want and can purchase again if you change your mind?