Forcing users to use Prime?

I'll admit that I didn't like prime much, and untill a few weeks ago used redacted all the time.

For some reason about two weeks ago redacted just won't get a good GPS lock, when it does eventually get a GPS lock the movement is stunted, so you wander or drive between portals and have to wait a minute of two for the location to update.

Prime on the same phone at the same time (within 30 seconds or so to launch the app) has a accurate GPS lock and moved fluidly ...

Anyone else get this? Is this a way of getting people off redacted onto prime.

Being forced to use Prime has made me get used to it, and it is actually quite usable, some features better, some worse than redacted.

Ant

Comments

• Are you using the android Q beta by chance?

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

My Pixel 2 XL has been getting that GPS stuttering, as well. I've noticed it in Prime, Redacted, Walking Dead: Our World, and Google Maps. A quick reboot fixes it, though, until it eventually comes back (haven't figured out how to reproduce it yet).

• kelterkelter ✭✭

If redacted goes away, I'll quit. The GFX in prime are an eyesore. not clear defined ui elements, blur on the map, to blue-tinted, still freezes.

• Patka07Patka07 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't notice any difficulties while playing on redacted. Maybe it's just coincidence?

• AnimaIControIAnimaIControI ✭✭✭✭

The game isn’t in the phone. The game is out in the world. If people won’t play the game because of having to use Prime, then they don’t actually want to play the game. The interface matters little to not. The game is the game. Your scanner is just access to it.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

I'm using Prime more often than Redacted, now. Redacted doesn't show my lifetime AP, and I'd prefer to have that visible. Redacted needs to be brightened up quite a bit, though, as it is a tad too dark for me, and it's also difficult to see when it's sunny out (Niantic is aware of this). Battery consumption on Prime is higher than Redacted, but in terms of linking and fielding, Prime is faster than Redacted on iOS, due to having the ability to cancel animations quickly by tapping the screen again after attempting to link.

The only reason I use Redacted at all, now, is the quick menu, so I can tap and hold on a portal and hack it. Prime is still slower to hack portals since I need to wait for a menu to show up, and that's also a bit slow.

• As it happens I've now used Prime solely since the GPS issues. I'm used to it now and weirdly when I tried to use redacted a few days ago, it felt odd and clunky!

I've taken the plunge and uninstalled redacted.

@AnimaIControI of course the interface matters.... what a daft thing to say - if the interface didn't matter why are there thousands of developers around the world continually trying to keep their Apps/software looking fresh and user friendly. Prime is actually pretty good once you make the move, but i wasn't keen on change lol

• I'm still using Redacted most of the time because I'm most often bikegressing during the day and Prime is unusable in bright environments.

Prime does have some nice features and as soon as they release a version that I can use during the day I'll likely switch.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

Here's one reason why I use Redacted over Prime: Quick menus. Tap and hold on a portal, swipe down, hack no key. Instead, I need to tap on a portal, THEN tap and hold on hack and swipe to no key. That extra step slows me down. Also, when Ingress shows my items received, I cannot click on anything else until that window disappears.