Celebrating Lunar New Year - Year of the Tiger - Discussion

2»

Comments

• I wished they had the year on the Tiger medal and change the tiger design for the next Year if Tiger. That would have made the medal even more unique

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

The Year of the Tiger design is an improvement from the Kureze Effect Anomaly badge. However, since 2022 is known as the Water Tiger, the design should have been influenced by the water element.

• Hola Niantic, me gustan las medallas cosméticas así que toma mi dinero, me gustarían medallas de los arquetipos, y de los drones de facción

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately 99.9% residents, as far as I know, celebrating Lunar New Year/Chinese New Year/Chinese Spring Festival never heard and would likely not accept the "Water Tiger" theory. It's not and never a part of the culture.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

It seems the favorite colors of the culture are red and yellow as opposed to blue.

• AkakunAkakun ✭✭✭

The medal is beautiful and I used to buy some of them, but I decided to skip this one because I'm starting to get the feeling that Niantic is getting a bit too used on selling medals lately...

edited February 2022

Also, upon the launch of Ingress Animation I've been waiting for a 3rd RED faction, even if temporary, but never succeeded...

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

@LuoboTiX , the novelty of Ingress Prime, its cosmetic medals, and future projects is starting to wear off among agents. I wonder what will happen when another AR gaming company comes along. Microsoft just acquired Activision and Sony just acquired Bungie which makes everything in the gaming world interesting. ;)

Post edited by Otrera35 on
  • mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

no signs of other AR company doing anyting at the moment....

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Yet, there is a monopoly. Once competition comes in; things will get pretty interesting. It is just a matter of time. Until then, will peruse Playstation's free to play games and Indie games as well :)

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Microsoft has already scaled back its AR envisions and scrapped HoloLens 3

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

As I said, it's just a matter of time when competition comes in. It doesn't have to be Microsoft. :)

Let's take this medal as an example. If it's a modernized AR game compliant with what we would imagine to see in 2022...then if I purchase maybe a premium version of this medal (5000 CMU?) I would expect to see a Lion showing up in the game with some visual effects. MMORPG and MOBA games are selling skins equppied with, if not AR, fascinating visual effects and as far as I can see, Ingress game can do it as well.

edited February 2022

So what's wrong with @Otrera35 's peacefully expressing his/her sincere hope and wish here? You have the right to do but does neutral statement seemingly with no factual mistakes like that really deserve immediate and continuous disagree from you? Could you kindly let us know which part of his/her saying was incorrect, as they are all neutral statement? He/she never said that Microsoft is highly promoting AR and thus what he/she said is not contradicting to your reply at all so why the instant disagree? I'd appreciate if you could kindly help making the forum environment as friendly as we need and refrain from doing disagree instantly after and simply because you see someone's talking to me, thank you.

Microsoft/Gaming studios of MSFT is not an AR oriented company/department but Niantic is. This is company's strategy and has been stated for multiple times. It's not something @Otrera35 and I happen to start dreaming about. I see no problems encouraging an AR oriented company to investigate on more possibilities about AR, OK?

If you simply would like to tell everyone "hey I am pro and you can trust me that AR is an dead end" then I'd advise you to directly write to Niantic's board members via email to elaborate your profound philosophical thoughts instead of harshly frustrating a warm-hearted forum user talking about his/her ideas for the company, for the future, ideas with no factual mistakes. If it's not the case, then your opinions are welcomed. Feel free to let us know, no need to take the "Karen" attitude toward us.

Post edited by TheKingEngine on
  • Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

@Luobotix, thanks for standing up for a democratic form of discourse in this forum. One can perceive there is some type of censorship in this avenue of communication. The AR-type of gaming is just in its early stages and has not reached its maximum potential; it is always interesting that competition in the AR market comes along to give clients a choice and not be trapped in a monopoly. Hopefully, other upcoming developers (especially Indie ones) can come up with better AR games to give other players better choices. The lesson here: Be nice to your clients so you can expect some loyalty. It only takes one's player's word of mouth to tell his/her negative experience about the game to 20 players to make that huge impact on a product produced by a company.

edited February 2022

Yes. Every gaming company (and even Ad company like Facebook) has picked a direction to go for the future. While some players are complaining about "Oh Niantic has made another new cosmetic medal to make some money", we do see something, some potentials behind the idea of cosmetic badge if combined with AR concept in the future. What if Ingress is really rebuilt like what we could see in Ingress Animation? As far as I can see it really can make $$$ if such things can be done. What if Lunar Tiger Medal really can help, as an equipable element/gear, to construct a NFT portrait-like virtual and unique avatar of every player? This lead the way to make players really willing to pay for cosmetic things like how players in Genshin Impact are excited to spend money.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

I decided not to purchase the recent cosmetic medal and future ones as a stand for the way Niantic's Help Support and the way its employees treated the legitimate players who submitted tickets concerning spoofing, etc. I wonder if Niantic employees' work conditions are similar to the ones that Activision employees experienced. Like a say, you can clearly see the company's work culture on how their employees treat its clients.

TBH, another Ingress Prime mentioned "There is nothing really exciting about Ingress anymore while other games like Genshin Impact who have been 1.5 years, is more exciting to play. Plus, it is free to play and it is not so toxic." So, convincing that player to walk and complete some missions or field while being followed by creepy agents makes Ingress Prime less enjoyable to play. Imagine if the Genshin Impact devs will incorporate AR into the game. Will probably make Niantic a run for its money :)

There is a new AR game called Neyon Clash and this game looks cool and promising because it encourages young people to get active by digital paintball and outdoor laser tag.

Post edited by Otrera35 on
  • MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I can press the disagree button without providing a reason. Your rant is very much off-topic from a discussion that was already off-topic If Ortera35 wanted to discuss more, they don't need you to speak for them.

It's a pity you resort to feeble methods of changing the hyperlink to find out who disagreed with you. That's a very Karen move.

edited February 2022

Yes. As far as I know, companies that treat clients badly, even if things look prosperous for them momentarily, won't end well in the long run, except those monopolistic ones. Ultimately some companies will find and implement something for the best gaming application scenario combined with AR practice. I don't care if it's Niantic or not either. Niantic has just completed a new round of funding in private market. Regarding the valuation given, if comparing with Roblox or even Activision, it's very obvious that those private funds do not see much growth opportunities or breakthrough potentials on Niantic and the valuation looks simply evaluated on the FCF/income from PoGo only.

Post edited by TheKingEngine on
  • Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

@LuoboTix, there are a lot of start-up companies out there who have failed. If one project fails to generate adequate revenue or when the operating costs are more than the revenue coming in; the said project can be shut down most likely due to pressure from the investors. Changing the company's lead executive (influenced by the investors) will also likely change the plans (i.e. current and future projects) and direction of the company itself. So, nothing is constant. I don't think it is worth spending money on cosmetic badges especially on Ingress Prime which has a questionable future. It may end up just like HPWU and the others.

Maybe you should read the main post of this thread again.

Cosmetic Medals are one way to personalize and add some fun to your Agent Profile. What Medals would you like to see in the future? As always, we appreciate your feedback and suggestions that you continue to share in the Ingress Community Forum.

We were exactly discussing about "to personalize and add some fun to our agent profile", and "medals we would like to see in the future", by introducing the AR concept. This forum appreciates our feedback and suggestions. "rant"? "very much off-topic"?

If you feel like "off-topic" than flag the comments. If you think someone that has taken inappropriate attitudes here then report to moderators. You do not have any single privilege to make that judgement. If you want to say something about the topic then feel free to say it and thus we could get comprehension of your precious thoughts. For now we could see very clearly who's the real Karen here.

• Thanks for the lively discussion on this thread. Based on the content of the discussion, I will be closing it for future comments. I appreciate your understanding.

This discussion has been closed.