Ingress 2.88.1 Release Notes

edited April 2022 in Release Notes

What’s New

• On Wed, Jan 12, we enabled the Manage Contributions screen in the Settings menu under Portal Contributions on Scanner 2.87.1+. You can now manage individual Portal Images and Portal Scans to select which ones you'd like to upload or to delete, in addition to bulk uploading all contributions.

After all Agents have upgraded to Scanner 2.88.1+, which can take up to a few weeks, then we will also enable Upload Later for Portal Nominations (this is in addition to Portal Images and Portal Scans that are already live). This means that you can scout a new possible Portal, photograph the Portal and surrounding area onsite, and then upload your nomination from anywhere when you're back on Wi-Fi. Please keep in mind that Ingress still needs a data connection in order to run, including for Portal nominations.

Update: Today (Mon 24 Jan), everyone was upgraded to 2.88 and as such, Upload Later for Portal Nominations is now enabled.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed: We have a speculative fix for the intermittent lag that occurs when recharging Portals. We're still investigating; however, this speculative fix may help reduce the frequency of this occurring.

• Fixed: Some News Feed image thumbnails failed to ever load. Now, News Feed will retry the image download to show images in the feed.

• Fixed: Tapping the Battle Beacon COMM update on the Map screen opened the Battle Beacon tutorial.

• Fixed: Some C.O.R.E. subscribers were unable to open the in-game Store.

Post edited by NianticThia on

Comments

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian Do you think this is going to be the beginning of working on the lag issues in other areas of the game? I'm glad to see this fix, but I don't want to resub to CORE until it's all being dealt with.

• Buenas las mejoras... ahora probaremos como nos resulta. Gracias!

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

And no translaton fixes... how much more do we need to ask you to either fix the translations or make a menu with a choice of the language of the game ???

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

a fix for the lag issues would be great, but why is the patch notes limiting the issue to recharging? All actions can “lag”, but deploying and recharging are the most annoying.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian so many juicy things in this update.

Thanks

Just one thing

'Fixed: We have a speculative fix for the intermittent lag that occurs when recharging Portals. We're still investigating; however, this speculative fix may help reduce the frequency of this occurring.'

The lag is everywhere, not just in recharging portals.

However a temporary fix via recharging is good, as we come up to the Keruze Effect Anomaly where some players cannot get out, but would like to participate via recharging.

• Yep, it sounds like the root cause is still not evident but they have a workaround specifically for charging that may work for the time being.

I'm getting development flashbacks to my own dev work this week, fixing an issue with sorting in two features. I spent hours finding a working solution in the first feature, copied it over to the second feature which is virtually identical aaaaaaand... It didn't work. Sometimes one issue requires multiple solutions.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. I've had latency while throwing fan fields many times. When the lag starts, you can wait in the link screen until the timeout happens and see 'scanner communication error' for every link that fails and see the dots come back.

It will unfortunately also create links every three portals or something, making you miss the AP by not throwing back in the right order.

• What is niantic AR means? Might developers created possibilty to Scan Portals for millions of devices without Google Services for AR but with suitable hardware?

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

But the lack of a response from anyone on the issue we've been reporting since last summer is infuriating. Not sure why there has been basically no response about it.

So much for saying that they are going to be better about communicating.

If you want answers you have to check Brian's Twitter feed or now others are stating that he's clarifying stuff in Niantic Social (where not everyone has access to). Only if only there was a place that was all about Ingress where such information could be found all in one place. Wish we could we have some place like that...

Here's what Brain said on Niantic Social. Thankfully someone posted it. I still don't have access to the chat despite paying for CORE still. Maybe it's time to finally drop it?

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s crazy. Why is nobody taking the time to update people on the forum? Who cares and actually uses niantic social?

Really unbelievable. Anyway, speculative fixes are also often enough not the fix and then it’s to the graveyard with the issue. (Like not loading everything on launch, a speculative fix was in the patch notes; however not fixed and never to be heard of again.)

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The information there is the same as here on the forum. Just a different combination of words used

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really. That snippet from Niantic Social highlights a continuing awareness of the other actions impacted by lag in a way that these release notes do not.

When someone doesn't mention something to you, it's not unusual to wonder whether they've forgotten about it. A few extra words goes a long ways, sometimes.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why you wait until the AP appears before pressing go on the next link...

• there is a glitch in game that allows you to accumulate bombs and then release them all together, thus making the defense of a portal almost absent, many players use this glitch to their advantage, can you please investigate and solve the problem?

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because we all know the workaround doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be fixed.

they tried before, but yeah, it’s still possible. Although a little less easy.

• Finally steps are being taken to fix the lag issues. As others mentioned it’s not just recharging but every action can “freeze up”. Recharging is painfully slow at times though besides freezing up, so let’s hope this will fix it!

• Sadly, recharging is not exactly fixed. I still got lag / delay... 😞.

Is it overall better? Maybe. But I am far from convinced. C.O.R.E isn't going to be restarted yet.

Sorry Niantic

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Still not getting notifications for kinetic Brian is this really supposed to work?

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is due to the fact that the app crashes in the background. I've had this notification work twice, and it was appearing seconds after I switched back to the homescreen after opening the app.

The past few versions were unstable, crashes after scanning or resuming from background. When the app is in the 'crashed' state, the notification won't work.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Can confirm that recharging stuck less

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received the update, went to recharge a bunch of keys, key 12; some latency; by the time I was recharging the 20th key, I had to wait for 27 seconds before I could recharge again, with then 3 second interval in between charges.

Can confirm it's not fixed.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, another REALLY annoying bug in 2.88.1, every time you resume the app from background, the app hangs for 5-15 seconds.

• Update: Today (Mon 24 Jan), everyone was upgraded to 2.88 and as such, Upload Later for Portal Nominations is now enabled.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed that "Dynamic light" was machine-translated."Dynamic light" should be "Динамическое освещение" not "Динамика освещения" but thats not so horrible. Mode should be translated for example as "Состояние"(State) because "Мода" is "Fashion"

Also i'd use "Мин."/"Макс"(min/max) not "Тихо"/"Очень громко"(that words fit to sound not to brightness).

Or,even better to have ingame language selection(i don't like to wait for Android 13 built-in selector).