Onyx connector threshold

100,000 links. Ugh.

Should it be readjusted ?

Yes i am sure it should be

Look at other badges

Liberator, Explorer & Pioneer: 40k, 30k & 20k respectively for onyx, a good spread

Scout & Scout Controller: 6000, 12000 with bonus points if scanned at volitiles.

Mind controller: 100, 500, 2000, 10000, 40000

Connector: 50, 1000, 5000, 25000, 100 000

.....well?

A huge jump for Connector from Platinum but all others have similiar?

Sigh

I do hope the Devs would reconsider the onyx threshold for Connector.

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

With more portals today then years ago its easier but i agree its alot still xD im glad i got mine after what 5 heavy years fielding serious

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Grogyan Different people have different playstyles. I'm almost 43K for unique visits and over 26K for unique caps, but I'm barely platinum on on connector.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

I have connector. It wasn't that hard. I'm under 5k fields from wings on mind controller.

Maybe focus more on getting more efficient at fielding? I micro field. I've only done an AP generator twice.

Other stats of mine

3x onyx builder

3x onyx liberator

20x+ onyx recharger

20x onyx translator

38x onyx illuminator

3x onyx trekker

2x onyx engineer

2x onyx spec ops

Go play more if you want some hardcore badgers. Soo many more portals, soo many more grey portals.

It's good to still have goals in the game. I've run out of actual game play badgers (goals). Now it's just wings to work on...

• I don't like the Connector badge because it encourages derping.

When I get time to plan and execute layers, it adds more time, to have to drop pointless links. Also I've been out layering, only to be stopped halfway thru because my own team threw a derp at the same time. Or, the other faction drops my fields, and my team blocks me from re-throwing.

I live where fields of my faction (even 1 MU) may occasionally last an hour - even rarer to a checkpoint - never to two checkpoints.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my, the derps. Opposition takes out one corner of my nice layered field. I'm just putting my coat on to go take it back when... Bam! An agent (who knows that I hate derp links) just spammed half a dozen links across the field from a far away portal.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Connector and Explorer are my only two gold medals, and Explorer is not that far off the next level. Because of my play style I am basically never getting onyx Connector and may not even get platinum.

Still, it's not going to be changed. It's been a game feature since almost the year dot, and plenty of people have managed to achieve it - I'm quite sure they won't want it made easier for everyone else.

My 'wut?' moment was discovering that Purifier has a higher onyx level than Builder. Surely someone made a typo there. All the other levels are the same (2,000; 10,000; 30,000; 100,000) and we know that globally the deploy statistic must be higher than the destroy statistic, since you can deploy several times in the same resonator slot but you can only destroy it once - so having Purifier be 300,000 while Builder is only 200,000 is crazy. Still, I know Hosette will chip in to say that it's perfectly possible to achieve. ;-)

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭

I used to think connector was “too high” because to me it implied that a typical agent throws about 2.5 links per field (because onyx mind controller is 40k). A 2.5+ link to field ratio is quite rare in my experience, especially considering how most players should develop better fielding habits in the time it takes to throw 100k links.

But if every badge was designed with levels in proportion to some kind of median play style then every badge would be reached at about the same time.

So I agree that it’s fine that some badges are particularly hard to get, one of those being connector.

At least with connector you don’t have to travel a lot and/or live in a high population area (such as with the unique badges: explorer and pioneer).

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@starwort I'm here for you!

Not only is it possible to achieve, but I made it a goal to get onyx purifier before platinum builder, and purifier won by a few months. I got double onyx purifier before onyx builder. The 3:2 ratio doesn't feel unreasonable to me because building is slow and tedious while smashing just requires loading up on weapons and spamming them in the general direction of portals. Also, it's hard to compare other destroy:build ratios because Niantic has short-changed destruction badges. (I pout... all those beautiful destruction stats that don't have shiny badges attached.)

I didn't get a full screenshot when I dinged onyx purifier, but this one was from the following day, May 21 2016. My weekly for that particular week was insane: at ding-time it was 7863 resos destroyed to 262 resos deployed.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hosette doesn't need to make triangles cuz she already has all of the mu! 😎