Prime *STILL* violates WCAG / WebAIM Contrast and Color Accessibility rules

Android 10, Nubia RedMagic 5S, Prime 2.65

Many parts of the interface are difficult to read because of low contrast between text and background. I reported this Sept 2019 and was told it would be looked into. Prime still has this problem.

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/5306/bug-parityrequest-scanner-prime-contrast-fails-web-content-accessibility-guidelines-wcag-2-0#latest

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/13695/still-disillusioned-w-prime#latest

16 votes

New Report · Last Updated

Comments

• ArkFangArkFang ✭✭✭✭✭

While the interface can be improved, WCAG compliance is not mandatory for private businesses and their apps and websites. It’s only mandated for federal applications and websites.

The only ‘mandatory’ compliance needed is the website has to be accessible. And ‘accessibility’ at its baseline minimum is fairly ambiguous.

So while there is definitely room for improvement there’s no legal requirement. Unfortunately this isn’t a bug as it is up to Niantic’s discretion for compliance and improvement.

• I believe this was brought up as far back as the Prime Beta too.

• GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭

"legality" is irrelevant. We've been complaining for YEARS that things are hard to see. i pull up WCAG / WebAIM guidelines to show "hey, we're not nuts, here is an OBJECTIVE MEASUREMENT of how and why it sucks, along with ACTIONABLE CHANGES you can make to make things better".

i don't think we care about LEGALITY. we care about VISIBILITY.

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that it still needs improvement, but there is something else wrong with your display @GorillaSapiens. As pointed out in another thread, the title seems to be too close to the notifications bar. My title text is pure white and as clear as the notifications, whereas yours seems a bit greyed out.

It may have something to do with screen dimensions, or something else.

@Pangarban yes, status bar obscuring some text is also a problem, in addition to the other text color / contrast issues.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I honestly don't understand why this has so many disagrees. Visibility sucks and it has been this way since the release, with some little improvements. Violet on pink on black on dark blue doesn't work. If you got used to it, it doesn't mean it got any better itself. The original linked topic has 35 insigthful with 71 like, and zero disagrees. Not much changed since then.

@GorillaSapiens thanks for creating the topic again.

Post edited by 1valdis on

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

bump

bump

bump