Has Niantic changed their mind about spoofing and multiaccounts?

I've been reading this General Discussion forum and boyyyy, there's a lot of people complaining about the report system and spoofers, I thought it was just me who wasn't happy about how the company handles this.

Given how bad the response from Niantic is (can we call a bot generated text a real response? well, that's all we got) and the little action they seem to take in this matter, can we say that spoofing is now allowed? Because, seriously, I've been considering doing it since others that do it get no punishment even after constant reports.

Comments

• Hello,

same problem in France, spoof, agent have many account, all report and.....nothing

always Remy (you are good dude !) and after always same message NIAOPS, and cheater win and nia lose correct agent..

• Yeah, eventually we're all gonna get tired of this and this will be a game of spoofers and people that want to play alone with their flies.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

They get lots of money out of people doing it on Pokémon GO and buying extra stuff there and never bother to do anything about the spoofers & multi-accounters so the same apathy is applied to Ingress it seems.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep hear local its pointless to report, spoofer or multi accs what the point, years pass and nothing happens.... thats a fact.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

Pointless.

• Niantic can’t tell you the strategy that they’re using to handle spoofing. That will be unloading information for cheaters to work around. Best way is to report the known spoofing apps used to help with the problem. Could sending them a Tweet to their Ingress Twitter account get you a live respond? Possibly.

• Niantic and the wider ingress community have no interest to fix the issue of spoofers and multi-accounters.

And with the current set-up the ‘fight’ against spoofers and multi-accounters cannot be won by nia and the proper ingress lovers.

Nia has to pay developers to fix the spoofing problem in real money. CORE subscribers pay real money to contribute to nia coffers. But spoofers and multi-accounters have no costs to create a dozen throw-away accounts. And no costs are incurred when those accounts are banned. The loss is 100% on niantics side. It is a fight that cannot be won.

• If the problem isn’t fixed, wouldn’t that affect Metaverse concept?

I pay for CORE and love the concept. I hope the commitment I pay for is honoured. So far, I have only positives to say about CORE, and I am in month 2 of the subscription.

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭

plus Vanguard on the forum will tell you that NIAOPS surely will read EVERY report carefully and do things that is appropriate even with canned response and you shall keep waiting. LOL

• NoctarionNoctarion ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Is it possible to track the portal hacking activity? I mean I know it's not a thing in the game, but can it be developed or something? Would it be too much data? I know nothing about that stuff

I believe that would be a good way keep better control about who's using spoofing methods between hacks, just like the resonators activity is traceable and available for everyone around, so should be the portal hacking and mod deployment.

• You really like doing that, don't you. Yes, actually, reports are reviewed.

• No, this isn't possible. There is no comm log generated for hacks, mod deploy, upgrades or scans.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

we need a new verification badge or something, its far too easy create multi accs ...

• I think the root of the problem is that NiaOPS's answer doesn't suit us (always same text, and really frustration see cheater again played). Cheaters use tools that NiaOPS can't find.

• BilleasBilleas ✭✭✭

You know what's even easier? Hitting that recurse button.

• Multiaccounters doesn't get banned but those acc they're using does. It's what happens frequently (help from telegram group).

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭

which means players are not encouraged to do anti-cheating reports. I don't know which part actually violates the rules or the law when they say "for privacy reasons we cannot discuss..." but in many MMORPG that I've played, if it's at one time suffering from cheating, the operation team will publish a list of name of players or at least some players whose cheating actions have been confirmed and thus got banned, along with the number of the accounts that have been banned since last operation, to make normal players believe that the operation team is doing their job making the gaming environment better.

I don't see such things or intentions like this happening with Ingress to make normal players feel relieved.

With regards to MMORPGs that are not only suffering from cheating at one time but at all the time...they lost most of the players and revenue and thus eventually closed down. No exception. The reason that Ingress did not close down is because POGO is making too much money.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Niantic could publish weekly or monthly statistics about how many accounts they ban, but it would not change anything in a significant way.

What the typical Agent cares about is whether Niantic banned the one (alleged) cheater bothering them, not whether Niantic banned 42000 other bots and spoofers that they've never heard of.

• Yeah I know it can't, but can it be developed to become a thing? like start generating logs from those actions and maybe not show them in the comm but on the personal info of every agent, something incoporated to everyone's profile and available for everyone to see.

Probably not a good idea since that could have other downsides like making it to easy to track/follow someone and we know some people are violent and take the game waaay too serious...

What a shame, looks like there is no way to stop the cheaters.

• WooormsWooorms ✭✭✭

Not having every action in COMM doesn't mean Niantic doesn't have it in their logs.

• As long as Niantic is not able to act on the spoofers' devices, the battle is lost, and the legal users are totally unprotected.