Niantic isn't even looking at video evidence of lag....

KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

Three views after being posted months ago in the lag megathread with a ping to thia/brian. At least 1-2 are me and another player.

Three views after being posted into the bug forum as a new report months ago, with multiple followups.

There is no investigation, there is no investment in bugfixing going on.

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

an update on the lag problem should be prio nr.1 long ago to fix

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

They may well know what the root cause of the lag is but not have an easy fix. Something like this could be as simple as changing a few parameters in the code, or it could require a significant change to the protocol with the potential for side effects, or it could require architectural changes to the infrastructure. These things can be notoriously difficult to pin down... a few years ago I pointed at a graph that showed a few milliseconds of difference between the behavior of thing C as compared to things A and B, all three of which should have been essentially identical, and said, "That's bad because (reason), and it has to be fixed before (looming date) because (risk)." I spent the better part of the next week roping in several very senior engineers to find the root cause and identify a fix. It got done, but it was challenging even for that team of high-caliber brainpower-- as is often the case it wasn't one thing but a combination of multiple things interacting in unpredictable ways.

To me, the lag seems to have improved significantly. It's not completely gone but I can now get through an entire fracker or two without seeing the lag that used to block actions for about 30 seconds at a time. It used to happen once or twice per ten-minute period.

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭

Why defending the "not viewing documents provided by players who were helping improving the game at all" behavior?

• To me as well, I experience less lag than last year, and I also see fewer complaints about it in the local chat.

This is purely anecdotal evidence of course.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

Every day I went out to play last week had reso/mod deploy lag happen. That's why I finally got fed up with it.

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

It's literally in the first sentence:

"They may well know what the root cause of the lag is but not have an easy fix."

If you know what the cause is, you don't have to watch the 500th video about it.

Of course, it's Niantic, so for all intents and purposes, it's also possible that they just opened the thread to quell the complaints for a while because "Oh hey look, Niantic is investigating it, no need to pester them anymore". I personally don't think that's likely, but I'm a bit miffed we haven't gotten a real update beyond "Team is still investigating".

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

If they know the cause but don't have a fix for it, or they're just opening threads to let people complain and not do anything about it, that's even worse.

Players want some communication with Niantic about this issue, it's making the game miserable.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

new year time for a long overdo update on this matter from niantic.

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

The part that frustrates me most... Is they have a section to report bugs. They also asked specifically for information regarding instances of what lag we're seeing. I put in a bug report as a new thread, PLUS added a post in the megathread where they asked for more info.

I was expecting to see way more than 3 views if developers/QA managers/community managers/etc. are all working on this. Instead, the video just sat for literally three months with no action/response. Not even considered.

• Out of any latency, the glyph command still.gives me most lags at times

All others has improved a bit, better than it was 3 months ago but i still encou ter latenvy issues for other actions every while & then

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

We are due for an update this week.

That "lag", they do know about, it isn't a simple fix.

Much like the broken comms we had for 2 years, it takes a very long time to get a real fix in place

• iFrankmansiFrankmans ✭✭✭✭

Sorry it is definitely not happening less and less, I had it again 3 times in 30 minutes of play, caused me to miss so many captures/hacks.

I am one of those people that stopped my core subcription for that reason.

I want to pay for a game I love to play, but there should also be value in paying. And apparently my money is not being used to make the game run without lag, so I cannot justify paying after a full year of lag.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

It not might be a simple fix, but would it really hurt them to at least give us any sort of an update? Like we found what seems to be causing it, but we are still working on a fix for it. Or we are seeing the problem, but still haven't narrowed down the exact cause. You know, anything other that "we are still investigating it" canned reply cr4p.

Wonder if they actually have any sort of SLA for bugs in the game for replies to the users?

Comms are still broken. We just have a button to press to get to the latest items. More of a band aide than a fix.

Post edited by EvilSuperHeros on
  • GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticThia agree that we need an update on what is happening with this.

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were him and considering the fact that I was not in the dev team I wouldn't make any assumption like that.

According to the title of this post we see very clearly that documents provided by warm-hearted players suffering from the lag are directly ignored. Community forum should be a place where players help players instead of players' defending the company's behavior of ignoring players at the first place.