Portal defense(turrets and force amps)

bluegawdbluegawd ✭✭
edited January 2022 in General

So, ever since the guardian badge went down (for good reason) I have found very little interest in defending portals.So how about introducing something like a defense point system for ingress.Like, everytime a portal attacks an enemy agent, points are awarded towards the agents who installed defensive mods (shields, turrets, force amps)in that portal based on damage inflicted.

PS-I do get that the whole point of ingress is capturing portals and creating fields,and sometimes you have to defend portals to get that.But why have turrets and force amps when you could just acquire stuff like hypercubes (which negates their effect) from passcodes and kinetic capsules.

Post edited by bluegawd on

Comments

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

it's more that vr and aegis stickiness might have been nerfed.

not sure if i remember wrong but in my head they were hard to get off portals and needed US now i just dumb spam x8 and that's enough

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Curious about this as well. Definitely seems like they just melt away anymore...

Nice when I'm spamming bursters (if they actually go through). Not nice when I'm defending, lol.

I think until the image below is fixed, any sort of medal or metric for defending is a moot point. If anything, I've liked the idea of a guardian medal that's an accumulated count on a portal.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

u always want defend but with todays lag and almost infinite amounts of lawsons those arent really stopping anyone except newer agents lvl 5 or so... it sure is easier taking down portals today vs a few years ago,.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

There was the hope that VR turrets and Force Amps would be craftable via the Kinetic Capsule.

These would be much more sticker than current rates, and deal more damage to the attacking player.

Even so, the toxicity of the guardian badge, made the game incredibly enjoyable for a lot of players, most have left Ingress now.

I can't quite see a stat for defense mods being something that I'd be interested in. Especially since we already have the Engineer badge

Post edited by Grogyan on
  • KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

Defense has been pointless since the shields got nerf, and caps made energy and weapons almost endless...

• I partly agree.Removing the guardian badge feels like cutting a whole arm just to remove a finger.Plus f-amps, turrets and portals attacking agents feels nothing more than blank action with no real effect.Which is why I suggested something like a DP system in the first place.

• There have been a few suggestions on how to retool the mechanic, like adding a grace period to recapture or making the metric cumulative time defended. At this point it's probably still too much of a can of worms to resurrect.

I'd like to see it come back in a different format, but I might be biased because they retired it a few days before I reached the onyx cutoff.

• If a portal has a force amp / turret - attacking will cost the agent. Especially if a cluster of portals has fightback mods. I've had a just-loaded hypercube drain out like it was never there. It was impressive!
    • If your portal is off the beaten path, and the enemy is **** at something else, you CAN recharge to keep it. For example if they are **** from a parking lot, and your portal is 500m down a trail.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Turrets and Force Amps are currently totally and utterly useless. The only situation you would want them is in a dense cluster of portals, each of which individually is of high importance (so that their hits would stack and actually make some problems to the attacker). This happens extremely rarely because usually important portals like field anchors, are spaced and lonely. The passcode spam at FS each month made hypercubes as common as usual cubes, and people in my city even recycle them because they don't need so many. T and FA need rebalance (or, rather, a good buff). And I'd start by removing Hypercubes from monthly FS passcodes, just like it was done to Quantum Capsules.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

@1valdis :

Turrets and Force Amps are currently totally and utterly useless. The only situation you would want them is in a dense cluster of portals, each of which individually is of high importance (so that their hits would stack and actually make some problems to the attacker).

Even that works only if the portals are all also heavily shielded. Otherwise, an attacker can stand outside of the zap range and spam X8s until the portals are dead.

The whole zap mechanic needs a good re-think, not only the mods.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

No offense, but instead of turrets and force amps, it is better to put shields into the portal. These modifiers cannot protect the portal, because cheaters still take advantage of the opportunity to detonate up to 20 bombs per second. In this scenario, the turret will only hit once. And on the shield you will need at least more bombs to destroy.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

We need a redesign of the mechanics of these modifiers. So that the mod is triggered after each bomb released.

• So that the mod is triggered after each bomb released.

As it is, it has a chance on every hit. Guaranteeing damage would probably be overkill, and reduce the random elements of a given battle.

• MargariteDVilleMargariteDVille ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

@1valdis I disagree with "of high importance". My field of play includes several town squares and parks with 20 or 30 portals, that change color often (like 5-10 times per week). Both sides play force amps and turrets there, so that when the other side challenges, it'll cost 'em. It's just part of the fun. How many bursters and cubes are you willing to burn, to take this area? Especially if two agents loaded it in this iteration - are you up to the challenge? Maybe you'll just take the portal at your restaurant, then call it quits. Many options - for them to load and for you to play through.

Also, not all "important" portals hold fields. For example, I know someone who collects professional sports stadiums. He just charges them because he likes them - and always has a neighboring portal as "guard", with an AXA and a fightback mod. You might take his stadium portal, but it'll cost ya.

• Standing in the middle and firing off ultra strikes makes defensive mods not especially effective.