Kureze Effect - the Formation / Phase 1
Consider a single pixel on your TV. On one channel, it’s the emerald green tie of Philadelphia’s unapologetic D.A. On another channel, it’s the mic held by a beloved singer performing a song from an unreleased studio album. On yet another channel, it’s the cobalt logo of a pharmaceutical company advertising new antibodies.
Every program and every channel is aired simultaneously, but you can only watch one channel at a time. Likewise, our reality is the reality channel that we’ve tuned into. That single pixel is still on every channel at the same time, but you cannot change the channel.
Some people, it seems, can.
Some people recall events that never happened. Some people remember events differently than they actually occurred. And some people, most notably Victoria Kureze, believe that this is evidence of many worlds, and what these people have experienced was simply the equivalent of tuning into a different channel.
From January through March, Agents will investigate the Kureze Effect and help explore how events are understood, affected, and perhaps even manipulated. A Resistance victory will influence Dr. Kureze’s research towards defending our reality from Shaper ingression. An Enlightened victory will seek to embrace and accelerate it.
- The Kureze Effect will contain 3 Phases; expected to take place each month in January, February, and March.
- Several dozen cities will be deeply affected by Phase 1 of the Kureze Effect, taking place on Sunday, 23 January 2022. Researchers are working to uncover all affected locations. The process of distilling the signal of city information from XM noise is expected to complete one week before the event date.
- Over a three-hour period in each city (1430 to 1730 local time), certain Portals will become extremely unstable due to the Kureze Effect. The XM Researchers may identify some of these Portals and ornament some of them in the Scanner during the 24-hour period ahead.
- NIASection14 will deploy Rare Battle Beacons on these said Portals whenever the degree of the Kureze Effect on them exceeds a detectable threshold, during the said three-hour period. Agents will work to seize control of these Portals while the NIA-deployed Battle Beacons are active. It is possible for a given Kureze Effect Portal to go beyond the threshold more than once within the said period.
- XM Sensitive Agents may subconsciously identify Portals under the influence of the Kureze Effect and take action to deploy any Battle Beacon on those Portals between Saturday, 22 January 2022 1100 UTC and Monday, 24 January 2022 1100 UTC. It is important to control those Portals while these Battle Beacons are active as well.
The final score for each Faction will be the weighted total of all Rare or Very Rare Battle Beacons Point Values over all Checkpoints deployed between Saturday, 22 January 2022 1100 UTC and Monday, 24 January 2022 1100 UTC across the globe. Each Battle Beacon will be weighted based on the Battle Category, which is based on number of Agents and Agent activity. From CAT-I to CAT-VI, the weighted values are 1-2-3-6-7-8 respectively.
For example, if a given Battle Beacon Score is Checkpoint 1: ENL 2; Checkpoint 2: RES 3; Checkpoint 3: ENL 4, and Battle CAT-V, then the Enlightened earn 42 points (6*7) and the Resistance earn 21 (3*7).
Each NIA-deployed Battle Beacon within play zones will be further given a multiplied weight of 10.
The final score for each Faction per city will be announced through in-app News Feed. The final score for Phase 1 will be announced within 24 hours through in-app News Feed and Ingress Community Forum.
Kureze Effect Medal
Any Agent who has interacted with at least ten (10) Battle Beacons scored at any of the three Kureze Effect Phases will be awarded the in-app Kureze Effect medal. This medal will be awarded as soon as an Agent meets such criteria.
For example, if an Agent interacted with 3 Battle Beacons deployed by XM Sensitive Agents during Phase 1 and interacted with 7 NIA-deployed Battle Beacons during Phase 2, they will receive the Kureze Effect Medal by the end of Phase 2.
To assist Agents in their efforts, a new metric will be added to Agent Profiles for the duration of the Kureze Effect to help you monitor individual progress.
As always, please remember to be aware of your surroundings. We encourage players to follow local health and safety guidelines when playing Ingress (such as wearing masks and maintaining at least six feet/two meters of distance from other people). For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check COMM > NEWS.
— The Ingress Team