Can @NianticVK stop masking the accounts for the spoofing report discussion?

As title. Readers please move to the thread of https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/17646/hk-you-may-be-kidding-allowing-an-agent-to-have-multiple-accs-and-spoofing-between-hk-and-taiwan#latest and see how @NianticVK keeps on masking spoofers' accounts and letting spoofers to take down Portals.

Tagged:

Comments

• Unless the accounts were operated by Niantic. Otherwise I cannot find any reason on masking these accounts and disallow discussions for these spoofers and take no action.

• littlewilittlewi ✭✭
    edited December 2021

Then, keep reporting, keep no action by NIA, and keep seeing these spoofers take down legit players' hard work?

• If NIA is working around this issue, please at least give us a short reply describing that they are already looking the case instead of keeping sending canned replies by Lambert.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic is a black box when it comes to this stuff. Keep gathering evidence and reporting it. That's all you can do. They will always edit names out when you post them here.

I'm not saying it's something I agree with, I'm saying that's how it's been in the past, and how it will probably continue on into the future. Don't call people out for cheating, either in Comm or here on the forum. Just keep reporting. If they continue to take no action, they're either seeing something that you're not seeing, or they're working to see who else they can catch that might be involved with the cheaters.

All of the portals and field are temporary. If anything, you should be glad you get to recap and rethrow for even more points. If you let yourself get wound up too much about the cheaters, you will start hating the game.

• It's not about wound, but what the game developer does not put a little bit more effort in tackling spoofers.

It is not a news for blanket field covering a large land mass of hundreds to thousands of players by spoofers and it often happened in-game. One example is Taiwan and spoofers had covered the island before by mega fields for many times.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

You're taking the absence of evidence as evidence of absence. You don't know what Niantic is doing behind the curtain. Keep reporting cheating when you see it, and leave it at that. Trying to take further action by calling people out by name in comm or on the forums is likely to get Niantic to take action *against you*. It's not worth it.

• littlewilittlewi ✭✭
    edited December 2021

So after some hours that thread was closed by @NianticVK and disallowing further reply.

I wonder how serious, how many attempts or how many agents should we to send report to Ingress Support in order to "activate" investigation by Niantic given that (1) several ten thousands of spoofing logs produced by these 10-13 multi accounts over the several months between Taiwan and Hong Kong; (2) would it be funny that allowing thousands of attempts of unreasonable logs like the Google Maps link below, jumping between two points of altitude difference of several hundred meters but no ways of short link of direct vehicular transport within 5 minutes by spoofers, but over an hour as suggested by Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@22.2577552,114.2395531,3a,75y,27.99h,69.53t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipPZMCXx4AIBNyT5ZAHQAGtA7ueSkIfy7ybAIWEY!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPZMCXx4AIBNyT5ZAHQAGtA7ueSkIfy7ybAIWEY%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya165.72737-ro-0-fo100!7i5660!8i2830

I am here to raise the question that, as a game developed for 9 years, Niantic does not attempt to develop machine learning to detect spoofer patterns but just to ignore genuine reports from players who behave well. No wonder why there would be people spoof and "lock GPS" and to perform logs jumping from A to B within an unreasonable short time. No punishment for many cases!

And, @NianticVK attempted to "keep the forum not to be too 'toxicity'" and just to close the thread as a way to solve the problem.

I could only express my dismay and great disappointment to the bureaucracy of Niantic officials in not dealing promptly in the case. Meanwhile I will still update the status both in in-app support and here, and if there were no actions by NIA, I would consider escalating the case to other game forums / news reporters for their serious follow-up.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

After reading through, I just came by to say that I think @NianticVK was trying to think of the word “toxicity”, with this but the point still came across.

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

Frankly speaking the masking doesn't matter because even if they are not masked it still won't help raise the attention of customer support and make them do something as you/I expect, that is, immediately ban the accounts that have done impossible actions, rather than sending canned replies. Thus, I won't say masking makes you/me comfortable but it just doesn't matter.

As you may see there are always somebody defending those useless canned replies, or saying that you are defaming others, even after you presented undeniable truth. I won't say they intend to mess around (sometimes they just don't care about spoofers or justice more than harmony) and make cheaters escaped from punishment but what if they really do? What if they are the cheaters himself? One thing cheaters can possibly do as revenge is to expose your IDs in fabricated posts claiming that you are the cheater which we know are fake criticism but others don't. Thus, masking can also be seen as a protection for you against your being defamed by cheaters. In this way everybody won't be able to say that there exists defaming.

What really helps is that you need hundreds of thousands of report tickets sent by allies (10+ accounts at least) against those cheating accounts to get "not-canned replies". Thus I would suggest skipping the issue of your posts' being masked and move on doing collective reports. I know that you feel uncomfortable and I'm not saying that NIA OPS is helping or you should always endure something unfair. I'm merely presenting the constructive way for you to proceed to wishfully ban some of those spoofing accounts...until you no longer care about spoofer as I do and as customer support do...

edited December 2021

Yeah, that being said, seemingly reasonable, but the blatant spoofing cases mentioned by OP is still not handled. If NIA OPs really attend to even one of those tickets then why not the ban for impossible-travel-time actions?

Related report ref: # 14802592, 14802660, 14806709, 14806804, 14806820, ,14806889, 14807061, 14807072, 14807141, 14807275, 14807283, 15723510, 15723972, 15724022, 15724055, 15724127, 15724131, 15724161, 15724211, 15724221, 15724244

I see it amusing that some players are pretending that IITC does not exist because it's not allowed to be discussed here. I see it also amusing that some players are pretending that EVERY support ticket will be reviewed carefully and manually (even if sending canned response). In many cases this has proven to be not true and it's technically impossible to achieve that. And as long as players experienced the Fast Track (especially the old procedure) they would realized that normal reports won't work and nothing have been done when the response were sent. Only after it's escalated then it's really "attended".

Pretending does not help. The system design of reviewing reports is very likely different from what you implied here. Experienced players all know that it requires a threshold for the reports to be really reviewed. But I understand your idea of not adding efforts for customer support and your propaganda that customer support is in theory always helpful, anyway.

There is no, not a bit, toxicity of players who stand up for justice and fairness. Desperate players, on the way of trying to make things right, may adopt multiple methods among which are in general proper and right but sometimes have minor defects, which has already been pointed out but it might take some time for desperate players to calm down and understand the reason behind it.

But, what was it that made desperate players desperate at first? We all know that. It's not the names' being masked. It's those spoofers not banned as guided by T&Cs and not handled as promised by reporting procedure! Implying that desperate and justice-seeking players are toxic is the last thing that should be done on this forum.

Not to mention the fact that those seemingly improper "defaming other players" might not exist at all if those relevant accounts are actually bots instead of players. It's just because we can't say for sure that avoiding defaming was suggested at the first place.

• They still not banned?