The case of the 90 second cooldown

InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in General

With the newest event schedule, Niantic shared the following:

"Starting this quarter, each quarter, we will evaluate the following temporary changes added in early 2020 to determine their impacts on gameplay while considering real world circumstances:

(...)

- Portal cooldown between hacks to be adjusted up from 90 seconds

(...)"

From the sounds of it, Niantic is at least thinking about reverting the Covid boni back to either the original values or 'adjusted up' from their current values.

While a smaller set of people don't like the 2x L7 Resonators disappearing or the AP for recharging going back to 10AP, the overwhelming majority of people do not want the 5 minute timer back, going by the comments in the announcement.

So, I invite you to make your case why or why not the cooldown for hack should stay at 90 seconds or why it should be adjusted up. While they don't always reply, I'm sure Niantic is at least reading, and seeing that they didn't outright state that they want to put the cooldown back up to 5 minutes (only 'adjusted up'), it seems like they already know that agents would break down their doors if the cooldown gets reset.

Tagged:

Comments

• Remember the clusterduck when they tried reverting the Radius in Pokemon Go back to 40m from 80m?

And support is shet for spoofers and multiaccounts, these bonuses at least let you get back your gear decently to fight against the 4 account spoofers

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd prefer to return to the 5min cool down.

While 90s was fine during the last 2 years, the novelty has worn off.

Time to get moving agent

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

I feel double r7 as long as active de-values the third player as its too easy build p7 even Thia said its to easy... About cooldown if they do it slowly rewind back to original value its ok too i mean we have vr heatsinks that dont feel useful i myself prefer pop in a common hs if i want some extra hacks i dont even get excited if i get a vr hs anymore since cooldown is low as it is. Also since the game still has lag problems lower cooldowns sometimes is just frustrating when u press hack nothing happens.....

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

how so ? today there is far more portals then 2013 so if anything u shouldnt be stuck at same portal vs back then when less portals... I feel they could go back to max like maybe 3 minutes? that would been okay and a little better then old 5min ...

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

but it makes things a bit too easy, even farming keys way too easy for it to be permanent imo. Niantic has waited too long on this "temp change" and ofc ppl will react different nothing strange about that but at same time the balance makes things a bit too easy in aquire gear etc...

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather see the 5 minute timer come back, at this point. It's made the game too easy.

If they're going to keep it at 90 seconds, make all heatsinks the same variety and rename them "hack count reset" mods, or something along those lines.

Speeds up gear output. You can use up your inventory and refill it in less than 1/3rd the time, even when doing it with a self made l6. Two VRMH, that's 33 minutes for 90 seconds, versus 110 minutes for the 5 minute cool down. Old bitter-vets missing the time investment accomplishment feeling the game used to provide, maybe?

The game has been made easier and easier through changes that have been implemented to inventory management over the years. In this case "easier" could probably be read as "quicker". Common heat-sinks have become trash mods for me, in particular, and rare heat-sinks aren't too far behind.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah it should be set clearly stating it's quicker but to be honest, it seems like a long overdue QoS. Common mods have always been trash - you use them for either the Engineer medal, reset a portal cool down, or to advance a mission if burnout happened.

There's so many ways to acquire gear, I believe it's somewhat null to focus on the 5 minutes. Maybe 3 minutes is a nice medium of the two?

Maybe for lore, an unstable environment has caused hack cooldown to be anywhere within 90 to 240 seconds every 2 weeks at a time? (but only as multiples of 30 seconds so the possibility is 90, 120, 150, 180, 210, or 240 seconds)

I don't care, either way. My preference would be a return to the five minutes, though. I know that's an unpopular opinion because everyone wants everything, five minutes ago these days. If things continued on the trajectory they have been for the past few years, it starts to seem silly to differentiate between common/rare/very rare mods, though. The amount of gear output, in my experience, makes it feel like common and rare shields don't make a difference, and VR/Aegis shields are slightly better than a wet paper bag. If they're going to simplify hack timers, why not simplify other parts of the game at the same time?