Removal of Comms

Hi, I have a suggestion, perhaps the comms could be removed from the game since that is the source of most problems. I also enjoy playing your Pokémon game and it much more peaceful. No one tracking me, no one calling me names, no one chasing me down to confront me. Anyway just an idea. Maybe we could try it for a period?

Comments

• ArkFangArkFang ✭✭✭✭✭

Block the offending agents so they don’t appear in your Comms. And take your Comms feed worth a grain of salt, in all honesty. Problem solved.

Niantic doesn’t need to dramatically change the game just for you, especially when there’s an appropriate thing you can do for yourself. Its the same way you’d block someone on a different social media or chat site.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

Just don't bother looking at it. It's rarely of any value these days.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The in game chat is the best way to get in contact with your local team members.

Ingress is a team game.

Pokémon GO is a solo game

The comm is extremely important aspect to the game, cross faction, and faction chat

• Niantic is working in a upcoming Niantic Lightship social feature:

Let's see how it works.. we are all hoping will help to add agents to the game.

• This sounds like a pretty bad experience. Can you tell us more about what happened?

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

Greetings, fellow agent (* edited as it appears the word 'm-a-t-e' is forbidden). Please, feel free to read and comment in this post, as your experience pretty much sounds like the elephant in the room that some insist to deny :)

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

The only good thing left on COMMS is reaching out to new or new to neighborhood players.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mirthmaker That's not my experience.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

Playing PoGo is not as peaceful as you think since there are other players that also follow and troll other players like Ingress Prime. Btw, there are instances that toxic Ingress players tend to bully and troll Ingress Prime newbies who are also playing PoGo. Unfortunately, other players don't understand that they need to respect other players especially the newbies if they do not wish to interact with them. Tactics such as closely following them or abruptly parking their vehicle in front of the newbies' car just to force them to quit. It is not really the removal of the COMMS that will solve this problem. One solution is for the new and legitimate players to avoid interacting with those toxic players by blocking those offenders in the COMMs and physically avoiding them. While the community police its toxic members that tend to bully and scare the newbies and rookies out there.

Post edited by Otrera35 on
  • Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

@Grogyan, what happens in a situation where getting in touch with a local community or XFAC started the whole dilemma of drama in the first place? Don't you think that other players want to play as lone wolves out there to avoid drama and enjoy playing Ingress Prime without the "eating your young" and "I am the leader or veteran, hence I am infallible culture?"

Post edited by Otrera35 on
  • As someone else said...Pogo isn't always peaceful either. Taking COMMs away might hinder the most toxic players, but it won't stop them. Meanwhile it would hinder a lot of agent's strategies, and make contacting newcomers harder.

That said, niantic should try to hurry things up with rolling out that niantic chat feature. COMMs are needed but could use some updates.

• I do think you should be able to make a video call through COMM. That would be fun. Oouw, I know! Let's have stickers in COMM that would be great!

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in 2016, I was competing with another player to get the last slot in a gym. I won and got in the gym. He stood in front of my car and wouldn’t let me leave the parking lot for like 10 minutes. I hope he doesn’t play anymore.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

If Niantic Chat only works with people you're friends with then it isn't going to be very useful.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

You always the option to leave said community.

However I often just use comm to get in touch with new players, offer help if they want.

Or even just say, hi, to an opposing faction player.

It is entirely up to the individual and the city they are in which determines how toxic or friendly it is.

Which I don't see changing regardless of ingame comm or that Niantic Social thing, whatever it becomes.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Despite COMMs getting the bad rap; I have seen the COMMs usefulness when a veteran player warned new players that having multiple accounts is against the TOS. Those newbies are fortunate to be in that city wherein veteran agents are helpful. However, there are instances that other veteran players or even the local XFAC would use the COMMs to publicly bully, chastise, and condemn newbies instead of correcting and helping them before the situation gets worse. It's obvious that those newbies left the local XFAC/community and are very wary that the same situation will happen again. One newbie even said "Contacting other players and the community gave us trouble in the first place!"

@Grogyan, change doesn't happen overnight, but I do hope that new players would have better experiences with their local XFACs/ communities. What really matters is that the newbies enjoy and have fun playing the game. It's the happy memories that really count in the game and in real life.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

@Otrera35 I've seen comms used to alert players about safety issues. "Hey, I see you're near (location). Be aware that police are actively searching for a suspect with a weapon two blocks north of there." I've both received and sent safety messages like that between players of both factions, and I'd send a safety alert even to the most antagonistic opponent if there was imminent danger.

Mostly these days I see comm being used for friendly conversation. "Hey! It's been a long time since I got an attack notice from you. I hope life's been treating you well."

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

@Hosette , it is nice to know that the COMMs can be used for safety purposes. Was there ever an incident where the COMMs or a beacon was used by an agent who was in danger or in an accident?

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

There was some serious crimes that some local police had asked the local Ingress community for information on as they were likely in the area when said crimes happened.

So I'd say, the in game comm is essential

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Otrera35 I was once visiting a city and playing late at night when a local reached out to me via comms to let me know that I was being closely followed by an opponent. That particular opponent had a reputation for stalking and threatening players and the locals considered them dangerous.