Question about a discontinued medal

I've been wondering for a while now why you can't get the Seer medal if you have nominated new portals in Ingress. I've suggested about 20 portals at this moment and it would be really cool to be able to get a medal for a profile related to the topic. And why has that Seer medal been taken away so that you can't get it anymore? It will be 7 years soon since that medal was removed. If it came back, newer agents (like me) would be inspired to suggest new portals.

Comments

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

The amount and quality of garbage in OPR was bad. I recall getting a number of submissions from one person in particular, trying to advertise his house for... less that legal activities. Pictures of his house, of himself, inside his house. What we have nowadays hasn't been as bad, but it's still so depressing to see so much garbage submitted that I have to be really bored to bother opening Wayfarer. People should be required to take a test, similar to the one you have to do to start reviewing POI in Wayfarer.

Heck, I'd actually like to see submissions removed from Ingress and PoGo completely, and have submissions come through a Wayfarer/Lightship specific app.

• iFrankmansiFrankmans ✭✭✭✭

Because portals discovered stat has not been updated recently, which was working perfectly fine..

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue was the tiers of Seer were unrealistic for Onyx. None of the medals have a tier that multiples by 10 for the next one. People who were good with submitting items usually had around 500 approvals by the time the queue came to a halt. I think that should have been the realistic onyx tier. I only remember one person achieving onyx (which is 5000 approvals).

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a problem anymore since people already submit trash anyway nowdays.

And now it's the community that reviews, so Niantic doesn't have to worry about that anymore.

• They could make a new badge and all problems are gone. Have always CD on nominations and now i'm on 666 discovered.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, it wouldn't

It would have the effect that we had with Seer, in that it would encourage people to nominate garbage

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Seer doesnt change anything ppl still submit low quality submissions and I dont even review long ago since i have double onyx so i dont see why mention seer when problem still exist today

• pictop23pictop23 ✭✭
    edited November 2021

I See no problem with that. I See so much fakes and garage since pogo Player can submit. And since recon/wayfarer is online nia doesn't have more work.

Post edited by pictop23 on
  • GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Big difference between garbage nominations, and Niantic encouraging garbage nominations

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Wait, niantic tried to manually review EVERYTHING?

...No wonder wayfarer become such a train wreck.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, Wayfarer is an evolution of Operation Portal Recon, which was for Ingress players only.

The train wreck is that there is a massive bias to specific games (pokemon go), which I very clearly stated would be a massive issue when it was going to enable pogo players.

Still is a massive problem and the Wayfarer community is incredibly toxic that I don't visit it often.

@NianticThia hopefully you can pass that information onto the Wayfarer team

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

problem is mainly that you don't have to earn nomination, and then can submit anything you want.

Nomination should be granted every 10 / 50 agreement, so people would see the rules and it would reduce the absurd queue in wayfarer that is now longer than before OPR.

• I would like to see Seer returned or a new badge to replace it. The tiers need to drastically be addressed though. The badge won't change the quality of the nominations we are already seeing when reviewing.

• If with the Seer medal, there were requests for low quality wayspots. The medal was withdrawn and continued requests for low quality wayspots and in addition Niantic itself created several low quality wayspots.

So why can't this medal come back?

It's been proven that requests for low-quality wayspots are not the medal's fault.

• Not all pogo players are that bad with wayfarer. That’s also ignoring the players like myself that started playing ingress to get into wayfarer sooner. Don’t blame us, this all happened because niantic decided to use the same backend for both games, and didn’t polish the system well enough in advance.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all.

But there is still a very sizable group of pogo players deliberately and maliciously manipulating Wayfarer constantly.

Seeing good well established portals get deleted, in the attempt to get a gym, regularly shows how little disregard there is of other games and products that need that same wayspots, which do not appear because of this sizable pogo group.

My feed is constantly like this, I wanna gym here, how do I remove/move this portal?

The Wayfarer community forum is the same.

• But for this medal to come back, I would have to review the medal levels, 10 - bronze, 50 - silver, 200 - gold, 500 platinum and 5000 onyx.

I think the demands to release a new level of medal were too high. that's why there were so many requests for crappy wayspots.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

It's odd to place blame completely on Go when the issue is with Niantic. Gamification of wayspots will happen regardless of any app used because if there's a will, there will be some way to make it an advantage.

People will want a home or work wayspot if they can squeeze the criteria enough to make it fit the guidelines. The benefit is really regardless of the game as it's game agnostic. There's definitely a different level of play between the games.

Niantic is horrible with communication. I really don't think all Go nominations are horrible and they can be legit attempts at providing quality submissions. However, the feedback given on rejections has been on a range from a boiler plate template to very incorrect reasons. We're also dealing with about 5 years of POIs with different guidelines from time to time. If I had no idea what to submit and saw other POIs that were grandfathered in - it's really not clear as well.