Scan suggestion: new portals should be volatile

PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

It would make sense for new portals which appear in game to automatically be volatile. This would incentivise players to go and scan them even if they have already scanned the other portals in the area.

Tagged:

Comments

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. If they want to encourage some scans, I’m certainly going to go out and scan any new portals I do.

Maybe also beat any of those local Resistance folks to Scout Controller on their new Portals too. 😈

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm into it.

Coupled with this, would love to see scout controller information on the intel map. A long overdue item from many wish lists...

• Sounds like a great idea!

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea! Having scanned everything in my area and with Onyx, making new portals volatile would just be a nice improvement and incentive to go scan them

• I like the idea as it makes sense. Niantic will have no previous scans of the new portal so that's a good way to encourage players to scan it as soon as possible. I genuinely hope this is incorporated as a game feature at some point in the future.

• My biggest wish regarding scanning is information on how many scans I need to do to take control. I don't know if someone did 10 scans today or 31 days ago, most people don't upload as they go due to data usage, so you don't find out until you're uploading on wifi.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a long overdue feature. If I see anything with 3 or more scans, I'll usually just skip it altogether

• @LemonCakes7 @ZeroHecksGiven The map shows a circle around a portal if it has a current controller.

Over New Year's, my husband went with me while I scanned a heavily-portalled, tourist-laden area. He has never scanned anything, and never even used the scan layer. Looking at his scanner, he asked, "What do these circles mean?" They were ones I'd just scanned.

Back to the original suggestion - yes! I always try to scan my new portals when I go for the unique capture. It would be nice to get 3 controller credits instead of 1. There's so little incentive to scan. For example, I kept getting "scan failed" with no idea why. Too close? Too far? Too much ground? Someone walked in front of me?

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

>The map shows a circle around a portal if it has a current controller.

No, the yellow circles mean that you have gained scout controller on it at least once. If it's the yellow rotating square, then it's a volatile portal, but that doesn't necessarily mean that someone scanned it.

• MargariteDVilleMargariteDVille ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Nope. As I said, my husband has never scanned a portal. And, he knew what the yellow squares are, because they used to be permanently on the map, before we had layers. (And I was there to remind him if he forgot.) He was questioning CIRCLES that HE saw.

Try scouting with a fellow agent who doesn't scout. Then look at their scanner, set to the scout layer.

Please do tell me then why this portal doesn't have a yellow ring, even though there is a Scan Controller:

Please also tell me what Brian means with this:

Portal History is live on Intel Map, enabling Agents to show and hide unique [...] Scout Controlled Portals and Volatile Scout Controller Portals.

Solution:

It doesn't show you where someone else scanned, it only shows where you gained Scout Controller at least once.

• @InvestigateXM Your information is from 11 months ago. My information is from 10 days ago. Niantic is not static. They get enhancements, and bugs.

Then please ask your husband how a lowly agents like me can get access to the same system. Although, the video from above is 20 minutes old, so it seems like Niantic is a lot less static then they used to be and they removed it fairly quickly, as no one else reported that the system changed.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

@InvestigateXM is correct, yellow rings only appear when YOU have scanned the portals. You cannot see yellow rings when others have scanned it. This has never changed.

Yellow squares are just volatiles.

It's most likely just a case of confusion between the different layers, maybe the circles were appearing for visited or captured rather than scanned?

• As I said, my husband has never scanned a portal. And, he knew what the yellow squares are, because they used to be permanently on the map, before we had layers

What you saw before we had layers was the Volatile Portals. The Scan Controller yellow indicator wasn't added until the layers feature was implemented.

This information is the current situation:

1. When the Scan Controller layer is active Volatile Portals will be displayed as a rotating yellow square around a portal.
    2. When the Scan Controller layer is active portals which you have gained at least one Scan Controller point from will have a solid 'burnt yellow' circle around them.
    3. When the Scan Controller layer is not active, neither of the above indicators will appear.

There is no indicator on the map view as to the current Scan Controller status of a portal. Only by looking at the portal's details can you obtain that information. And even that doesn't indicate how many current scans the Controller has on the portal.

• Data taken "Right Now":

This is the portal "The Great Artesian Basin" (ignore the Graffiti Wall, that's just the portal I viewed through).

I have Scout Controller layer turned on.

The portal is currently Scout Controlled by Jeep1941.

However, you can see from the initial photo, that the portal is not marked with a circle.

If you now look in the bottom left corner of that first picture, you'll see the only portal I have Scout Controlled in the area. I did that three months ago. It still has a yellow circle, because I got points from it.

This is information from right now not 10 days ago.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

The yellow circle is a scout controller portal you obtain.

The rectangle swirling icon are volatile portals - this will show regardless if you have or haven't scout controlled the same portal.