The new update of portal submission is S***.

Submitting portals from your coach in a 25km radius with photos taken by your phone gallery is awful. Even a 3km radius. Even with photos taken from the phone gallery.

It has been month that we are fighting on opr against submission of portals at the top of mountains with third party pictures, in mismatched locations and proposed using fake gps.

Instead to put an end to this issue you legalize this practice.

Congratulations.

Comments

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭

That's the point of us in OPR, to weed out the fake and low quality portals. Don't forget this is a tool to for us to help each other to get more portals into Ingress in a reasonable time. I would not want to go back to where Ingress was doing all of them and they had a 2 year backlog.

• ZennZenn ✭✭✭✭

Isn't it 2.5?

• Jac1891Jac1891 ✭✭✭

Proposing remote portals is always been possible with other applications. Now I wouldn't worry, NIA said it's a test feature, if they see that the low quality portals are increasing, they will remove it.

• To which applications are you meaning? As a rural player I think 25km maybe not enough. There are places within an hours drive of Melbourne Australia that no phone reception. Where I live is much worse. Some of the mountain areas, you’d need to drive for several hours to get coverage. Using an iPhone or being stuck with Prime excludes agents like me from

• LemoMcLemonFaceLemoMcLemonFace ✭✭✭✭

If you can't get reception, you'll never cap the portal, so what's the worry?

• Jac1891Jac1891 ✭✭✭

Applications like "fake camera" have always allowed this thing and unfortunately it has often been used with photos taken from the internet or clearly false.

With this new feature I hope there is more control and less fake or low quality portals.

• This is in part a temporary fix for the time out issue. Before the change, people started to submit lower quality photos to ensure Prime didn't time out. The change allows you to return to a place with better reception to submit.

(Note: there are plenty of places where I can play just fine but couldn't get submissions to process in Prime).

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

Exactly this nothing more throw your phone frustrating that that time out message when submitting.

It's like most things, if used properly and as intended it's a great thing that most people will find very handy. (Can create a folder with the 2 photos and GPS pin when you have not available submissions than take submit when more become available.

But yes it can and will be abused I'm sure which is why as people say 'we can't have nice things'

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

The cons of this change far outweigh the pro's in my opinion.

Sure, it's nice to be able to submit portals to places where there is no/poor cell reception. But if you can't play there (because poor/no cell reception) what's the use? It will only get abused by people that are not affected by cell reception. (You know who you are xD)

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I strongly believe Niantic needs to implement the cache system into Prime as it is in Redacted. Because, Ingress players need to submit remote portals, far far away from cell connection.

As opposed to Pogo or WU which are solely designed for urban environments

• msz21msz21 ✭✭✭

@Jo0Lz Your really underestimating how global this game is. Most of the Western world has great signal but there are a lot of places that have poor signal in general especially in rapidly developing countries. For the folks who have money they can get boosters or other ways to help improve their signal but if I were a company like Niantic who has multiple large real world interactable games I would definitely have this 25km range for submitting.

• OGMagusOGMagus ✭✭✭

I can think of a very simple thing: Taking the Overview photo on the way to the POI, taking the POI picture "live" and then add the Overview from file. Saves me having to go back/away for the Overview!

Abuse has already started.

Main photo & supporting take from streetview...

Yet many reviewers probably won't notice.

• LlamazapLlamazap ✭✭✭

Abuse has been around for as long as Ingress has existed. We've been trying to clean up our home town and surroundings for a year now - and we still find fake portals from ages ago. Though it might be different in your location, here, all these fake portals are VERY old. I've yet to encounter a new one.

It was even easier to submit fake portals with Redacted and "Fake Camera", so I dont see the point.

That the person or persons submitting might not have access to Redacted, couldn't submit with fake camera, but now has the functionality of fake camera baked onto prime.

• msz21msz21 ✭✭✭

Definitely agree, it was already very easy to submit fake candidates or remote submit in REDACTED. I know when the game was still in its early development still almost all candidates were remote submitted since you needed to email all the information to Niantic so you could take pictures and send everything from home.

People are getting up in arms about a capability in Prime that still requires you to be 25km which is still close enough to the candidate to be able to remote submit. While Redacted has had the function to remote submit since almost forever and was never limited in distance.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake Camera worked with Prime as soon as submissions were added to the client, though.

True.

But it was relatively easy to spot those submissions and for them to be rejected as abuse.

Now you can't identify them anymore, and the potential number of users abusing the baked in process is greatly increased.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

How so? Grainy photos give it away and you can see a glare that appears when you screen shot an **** monitor if closely inspecting and checking all of the tools given to us reviewers.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

How so? The fakes can be essily spotted if you know what to look for computor screens have a special glare when you take a picture of an **** monitor

Some are easy, some are not.

Many reviewers are unlikely to look past the thumbnails let alone search online for what appears to be an easy 5*, such as a church etc.

The point is, it's now easier, for more people, many of which are likely to have been less able, to submit fakes.

• I wish they'd let us enter the submission and have it queu up instead for when we have wifi. I feel it's better to submit when I am there so I don't forget any details. On the other hand I have been using the feature a lot. I go out for a day and take a lot of photos, then go home and submit at my leisure. I can take the time to research the local murals and get the artist's names and background info. I even did one, once, for a pogo player who wanted a stop and I knew the tennis court was there, I've been there before, but I got busy and didn't have time to take the photos. Finally they sent me some photos and I submitted with those. Something I do with extreme caution since I don't want to be lied to and end up submitting a bad portal if I just start taking people's word for the legitimacy of their photos.

• This is getting out of control. Lately I've been getting a lot of obvious Google Street view submission (pixelated photos of the monitor display) and some of them even got through :(.

Also, a while ago I tried reporting a player who was using Fake Camera to submit candidates 200-300 km away(with clearly edited photos). I had all the proof needed but no action has been taken unfortunately. Later I found out that I didn't submit the report ticket to the OPR Abuse category but there is no such category when you try to open a report ticket.

• You can do a screenshot, transfer it on the phone and upload it. But if the obvious fake (pixelated with glare) are getting through its hopeless. Finding third party app photos uploaded from phone would be detective-like work which isn't worth the time given that most abusers would only retry until they have it.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't need to do it through the support site anymore, it's one of the denial reasons in OPR itself. 1 star it > Photo > Third Party Photo

• ZaltysZaltys ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Considering that Prime still times out on submit unless I'm on a stable wifi, submitting from distance is the only I'm able to nominate anything after Redacted gets retired. At least until I make it to level 40 in PoGo.

Unfortunately I've already submitted most of the stuff in close range, and majority of the new portals are outside my home range. Which is a problem, because it's hard to find wifi in 25km range over here. So I'd suggest raising the distance to something like 50km or 100km instead.

Either that, or just let us queue submissions in Prime.