Update on Portal Nominations, Edits, and Photo Submissions

Comments

• "Changes to the gameboard will be synced once a day, similar to how this happens on other Niantic titles. "

That's certainly a major change. I need to look at the timing on that to see when I'll be able to capture portals, hack, and scan - which I used do as soon as possible after receiving the acceptance email. It'll probably be in the middle of the day like our Pokemon Go sync, which is less than convenient.

I don't care about tracking my "rewards" (key and AP, plus +1 on the Portals Discovered metric) nearly as much as I care about tracking my portals' appearance on the game board.

• @Shilfiell From observations last night it is around UTC +1 I expect another today so can be on lookout.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. The sync doesn’t matter for the other Niantic games where they don’t have to visit unique Waypoints, or see how they’ll factor in to fields or future plans.

• XQlusioNXQlusioN ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Got a portal approved and was visible on Intel instantaneously, so either the sync happened at that time, or the daily sync will start in the future.

And hearing the same from others in my area

• I think the old process is actually still happening for most POI, They go live quickly.

But these stuck ones need to wait for daily sync.

• so,When will this problem be solved? Are there any possible time nodes?

• MargariteDVilleMargariteDVille ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Thanks for the update, @NianticThia

I'd be surprised if more than a dozen people find it, on page 7 of a thread that's almost a month old. When threads get that long, it has usually dissolved into chest-beating, so I usually ignore it.

Thankfully someone linked me to here. So, it's a word-of-mouth thing.

It would have been more transparent and open, to start a new thread with this information.

I feel like Niantic does communicate a lot - but only in obscure places, so most people never see them. In fact, it's probably tactically impossible to find them all. Especially if an agent already has a full-time job, to buy gas money, to find more portals and missions - they really don't have time to root through all the forums.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

Those wanting information are either following the existing thread or will read it all...

• Anyone following it has gotten 6,000 alerts that weren't interesting.

I read it all, back when it was one page. Then I went back to my 3d life.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

No one needs more pinned annocements,,

Maybe the most that's needed, is the announcement updated,

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

So no update on a two month old “bug,” got it…

• Just to say the sync happened around midnight U.K. time

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if you had spent half a thousand dollars or more capturing a portal you would be mighty miffed if it got reset...

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

That doesn't appear to be true, seeing posts of really isolated portals not coming online.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

seems it is true, just Bugged as heck,,

FYI someone discovered that those portals fate is tempararily in POGO players hands, something about voting or submitting photos..

again, there are ways to mitigate that, 'but thats not important right now'....... ✈️

• GyroninmotionGyroninmotion ✭✭
    edited September 2021

No one gets +1 on the Seer badge anymore, that is ancient history

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

NianticDanbocat has an update here;

Some of which is relevant to this so I’ve pasted it below too, if you don’t use the WF forums

Hi everyone,

Just catching up on a few things here and wanted to share an update before the work week begins.

[FIXED] Upload later bug swapping your main and supporting photos

We pushed the fix on Friday afternoon. Please reset the Pokémon GO app at your earliest convenience. Note that both your main and supporting images already submitted were not lost. If your nomination was already decided on based on the swapped images, and you feel that decision was unfairly influenced by the swapped images, please contact @NianticTintino and @NianticGiffard with the nomination details so that we can review and fix.

For those who are reviewing noms with obviously swapped images, please judge them fairly and comprehensively, do not reject them based on the swap. We keep all the supporting images of the accepted nominations, as they have sometimes been much better than the main (even prior to this bug). We are able to swap them retroactively as necessary. Really sorry about this issue. I am going to hold a retrospective with the team to understand how we missed this during our testing.

[In Progress] The blank rejection reason "." and nominations disappearing from your management page

This was indeed a bug. As most of you know, we have a team of staff that also review nominations alongside you. They get assigned quasi-randomly to Niantic staff. When that happens, the nom disappears from your management page. If it is rejected by staff, you would have received an email with a blank rejection reason.

I dug into this with the team and the temporary fix will be to include a string that completes the sentence, and to keep this nomination displayed in your nom page. This might take a couple weeks to wrap up. The email will only say that it was a Niantic review decision. 

We won't rework this email further because we are actually in the midst of deprecating it -- All emails will soon be sent from a Wayfarer email and not game-specific emails. Emails notifying you of a decision will point you to your Nominations page to review the decision details, which we are working on updating hopefully by the end of the year.

[Under Investigation] Pokémon GO and Ingress Wayspot sync issues

We acknowledge the reports of edits not sticking or accepted Wayspots not appearing in one or both games. We have notified both game teams and their community managers. This seems to be entirely a game server issue, and the Wayfarer team is on standby to support. We hope to continue looking into this early this week.

[Fix Scheduled] Nominations summary page map in Pokémon GO has missing map marker

We noticed that in the latest build of the game that the map marker denoting your nomination location is missing in the nominations summary page. We hope to patch this on Tuesday September 28.

That's it for now! Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

We'll aim to update you all again in a few days!

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Weird. Just got a portal approved, it appeared in the game immediately. No sync delay, just e-mail, check game, there it was already ready to be captured.

Same, had one last night. Wonder when the sync will start happening (outside of the mystery nominations getting lost)

• OchemistOchemist ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

@NianticThia

Thanks for the update. It's very disappointing that two months later there is still zero progress on the missing portal issue. It's completely and utterly unacceptable that yesterday somebody in my area had a Niantic-reviewed submission be approved and not show up in Ingress (this was far, far away from the nearest wayspot). This hasn't happened to me yet, but if it does, I'm pretty sure I'm done with the process after almost 35,000 reviews and more than 500 live portals.

If the team needs another clue about what's going on here, it appears that liking the photo in PoGo can trigger an Ingress synch:

I'm not sure I'd use that, though, because one person on the thread reported getting a key from that trick, but not the stat tick (or AP, which isn't a big deal).

Also, can you confirm going forward that when we start getting Lightship emails we will also continue to get keys and stat ticks (for both portals discovered and UPVs)?

• That's a client side patch of the pokemon go app. I don't see how that would affect an on-going issue with portals not showing up after approval.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, thought it was Ingress, never mind my bad.

Don't know what all the fuss is about, just got another portal approved, it's available in-game instantly. No sync delay, just e-mail, open game = 1000AP and key. Also already visible on intel.

Might be that the problem is with certain areas? I don't know. Let's hope it gets resolved 'soon'.

• There is a speculation about broken sync (portals far enough to meet spacing criteria):

when portal is reviewed and approved by players, it instantly appears on the map,

but when nomination is routed to niantic "internal" reviewers, it is taken out of normal queue, then inserted back after approval, and this is the broken sync scenario. Portal does not appear on map until someone "likes" portal picture in pogo.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

I created this thread on the Wayforum. I've created hundreds of Portals and only had this issue over the last few months, and only with Portals I have confirmed were reviewed & approved by Niantic.

@NianticThia I wonder if this is helpful.

I also point out several very low quality acceptances by the review team Niantic is using.

Got my first Niantic review. Two bronze statues in front of a senior community, denied. Of course, no reason. Definitely don’t want those old folks having access to portals from the sidewalk, lol

• A Friday update from NianticTintino on wayfarer

• Wayspot Syncing Issue - still under investigation by the Pokémon GO team

I have no idea why a problem that seems predominantly affecting Ingress is being investigated by PoGo. Could be a mistake as the other update was about the photo swap issue which is PoGo.

Either way there is no change, they seem clueless about how to solve not convinced they have identified the cause.

• He's referring to the separate editing sync issue affecting pokemon go. Since pokemon go doesn't have it's own forum he makes the announcements there. The wayfarer team only wants to deal with wayfarer issues and won't bother to make an announcement about game related issues unless they absolutely have to. The gamifaction of building a poi database and the refusal to out the players the expected rewards. There is a disconnect to to the player reviewers concern and motivation to even submit and review.

I would poke at people here to see if it's still being worked on. I'm still waiting on my island portal and key but it's winter so it'd be months before it's relevant to gameplay.

I imagine some sort of “strike” on reviews would certainly get some people at Niantic motivated. I’m definitely done reviewing until this debacle is figured out and some transparency is provided. I don’t imagine we’ll get the transparency part, instead, one day it’ll be “fixed” and that will be that.

Frankly, at this point, I doubt I’ll review anything until there is a real incentive. “Helping” the network is not an incentive. Changing the color of a medal I already have for hours of work is not an incentive. CMU could be an incentive for sure. Nominations might be for some people. In game items, gear or skins could be one. My time is much more valuable than reviewing ticks on a medal, sorry Niantic.