Game Latency

edited September 2021 in Report a Bug

Hi everyone -

I've spoken with the team to determine the best information to collect to help investigate reports of game latency.

When submitting a support ticket, please use the information below as much as you can. If posting here in the forums, I'd like to ask that we use this thread/bug report to as the place to report so it's all in one place for reference.

Reporting Game Latency

• Date and Time: As close to the exact time as possible, what is the date and time you experienced the latency?
  • Timezone: What timezone are you in? If possible, use UTC.
  • Action Performed: What action did you take that you experienced the lag/latency? (e.g. quick hack, glphy glyph hack, hang after deploying 3rd reso, loading the game, etc)
  • Perceived amount of latency: A bit more tricky - it can 10 seconds can sometimes feel like 10 minutes but what we're trying to determine if it was a shorter amount of lag or a longer amount of lag.

If there are additional details you wish to provide that may help, I'll take that too - like "I had just stopped driving and was going 80KPH before I tried to fully deploy the portal" or "I have been playing/had my Scanner open for the last 2 hours" (I totally pulled these out of the air as possible examples that might help, that does not mean these are causing latency!).

Post edited by NianticThia on

Comments

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Date and time: 22. September, 15:10 (a few seconds ago)

Timezone: UTC

Action performed: Start of a Kinetic Capsule Program

Perceived amount of latency: About 30 seconds

Actions taken just before: Claimed a Kinetic Capsule Program, bought two Optima bundles in the store

EDIT: Oh and Connection: 4G

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Date and Time: It happens usually anytime when im playing. usually 10-14. And yes i got lag even today earlier hard say exact time..

Timezone: UTC +1

Action Performed: I notice this usually when i deploy resonators and it gets stuck on the last one or second to last. Also hangs on glyph command screen. Sometimes i can get lag on the first portal i interact with but there is no pattern really when it happens it feels random anytime i play.

Perceived amount of latency: It can be anything from 30 seconds sometimes over a minute stuck before its back to normal. I have normally full strong 4G connection when it happens since i play in city always.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Date and Time: 09.19.2021 - 6:25
    • Timezone: CST
    • Action Performed: Trying to deploy Resonators, just walking around town, making triangles, this is 30 minutes into my walk
    • Perceived amount of latency: 20-30 seconds

• Date and Time: 09.19.2021 - 6:29
    • Action Performed: Trying to deploy Resonators, just walking around town, making triangles, this is 30 minutes into my walk

It happened twice before that on the same date, I just didn't take screen shots of it. It happens nearly every time I play. And I've been pairing it back to just walking around city blocks, tap hacking and recharging mainly. Both screen shots show 4/5 bars on LTE connection. I will start documenting the issue now that its finally been determined that Ingress actually wants the info.

Documented on teh Rant thread

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/comment/153429/#Comment_153429

• K4CharelK4Charel ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Date and Time: 09.22.2021 - 18:30     Timezone: BST    

Action Performed: Trying to deploy Resonators.     

Perceived amount of latency: 5-10 seconds 

Post edited by K4Charel on
  • K4CharelK4Charel ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Date and Time: 09.22.2021 - 18:57     Timezone: BST     

Action Performed: recharge of a single res as part of the batch of portals recharge .      

Perceived amount of latency: 5-10 seconds , twice with the same portal, different Resonators

Post edited by K4Charel on
  • iFrankmansiFrankmans ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

ate and time: 22. September, 19:31

Timezone: UTC + 2

Action performed: Glyph hack

Actions taken just before: Glyph hacking

Connection: WiFi

Post edited by iFrankmans on
  • Date and Time: September 22, 16:15

Timezone: UTC+2

Action Performed: Boost Charge All action

Perceived amount of latency: ~10 seconds

• Date and Time: every time when ban hammer runs on maximum sensitivity
    • Timezone: no matter
    • Action Performed: deploy reso, destroy, deploy mods, glyph hack, hack
    • Perceived amount of latency: depending on the action (3-30s)

XMP can explode simultaneously and most players can't feel real latency. But you can't deploy next reso before receiving sucsessfully deployed previous reso. In this case latency can reach to 30s.

No matter what I'm doing in game when on server side runs search of illegal sellers. It would be much better if you will try to search spoofers.

You can stop "ban hammer" and asks players for latency. Later start it again and post new poll.

Because I see a correlation between lags and forum posts "account suspended"

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    • Date and Time: 20 SEP 2021 17:57 BST
    • Timezone: UTC+1
    • Action Performed: firing busters
    • Perceived amount of latency: 1 to 2 minutes

I had been out for maybe 40 minutes, hacking and brewing kcaps, when I came across some portals that were the wrong colour. I fired bursters while moving at 5 to 10 km/h and travelled about 200 metres before stopping to watch the bursters still swirling on the screen. The earliest ones timed out and said "scanner communication error" (although the portals were later neutralized so it seems that they did in fact fire) and then eventually the other bursters fired and I resumed activity and captured the portals. I am aware from the thread "game actions are laggy again" in this forum that at least one other player in a different country also experienced latency at the exact same time.

I had a weird one this afternoon. Unfortunately the time is unknown but would have been around 13:30 UTC+1 (22 SEP). I was at home on Wi-Fi and the phone had been idle. It was time to move my drone, so I unlocked the phone, moved the drone, then hacked the portal. I always draw the 'complex' glyph during the command channel. It stayed on the screen for maybe 30 to 45 seconds, then the glyph sequence appeared. It caught me slightly by surprise, but I caught the last two glyphs: "grow unbounded". I drew the glyphs: "technology intelligence grow unbounded", then came the results. The glyphs pictured were the ones I had drawn, but the words under the glyphs were "shapers message end civilization" and it marked them all wrong. I wish I could have taken a screenshot, but it happened too quickly.

Post edited by starwort on
  • starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Date and Time: 23 SEP 2021 01:30 BST
    • Timezone: UTC+1
    • Action Performed: recharging
    • Perceived amount of latency: 10 to 45 seconds

Short recharging session at home on wi-fi: loading up a hypercube, selecting keys and repeatedly mashing the Charge All button. Sometimes the button just goes grey and stops responding for several seconds until it lights up again and recharging can resume. Times in UTC+1:

01:28:59 duration 38 seconds

01:31:24 duration 44 seconds

01:33:00 duration 12 seconds

01:33:30 duration 12 seconds

01:36:46 duration 38 seconds

01:37:35 duration 26 seconds

01:38:26 duration 12 seconds

01:38:59 duration 12 seconds

01:42:48 duration 18 seconds

01:45:05 duration 20 seconds

01:46:00 duration 37 seconds

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Date and Time: 23 SEP 2021 11:15am NZST

Timezone: UTC+12

Action Performed: Kinetic Capsule starting next programm

Perceived amount of latency: 5 minutes

After 5 minutes, no change. Forced to restart app.

@NianticThia have sent Brian the logs via pm on twitter

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Date and Time: 8am - 11am AEST 23 September 2021 / 10pm 22 September 2021 to 1am 23 September 2021 UTC

Timezone: AEST +10 UTC

Action Performed:

• At about 8:10am I was using a battle beacon and the game lagged, couldn't deploy any resonators and the counter on the battle beacon kept counting. This lasted about 30 seconds. This has happened a few times, either I wait or restart the app and usually it'll work again. Though I have lost battle beacon cycles due to lag in the past.
    • About 10:30am: I was walking through a park and was having trouble deploying on portals. Nothing would happen, whereas in the past it was almost instant and I could put mods on the portal very quickly. I kept walking and it seems like it didn't register the deploys on some portals. This lag would usually last between 10 and 30 seconds.
    • About 11am: I was walking together with my partner, somehow she got about 1km more in distance on a kinetic capsule than I did. Which is quite frustrating given the event we are in the middle of right now. I think the lag is the cause of the distance discrepancy.

Perceived amount of latency: 10-30 seconds.

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy do I have a fun one for you @NianticThia ...

• Date and Time: 22 SEP 2021 22:14 EDT
    • Timezone: UTC-4
    • Action Performed: Capturing/Deploying
    • Perceived amount of latency: 30 seconds.

Ready? I k i l l e d (why is this a banned word here?!) several fully linked and deployed green portals. They took a while to die, then went gray. I captured them, fully deployed them, modded them... And then they reverted back to fully modded green, owned by their previous ENL owner for 10 full seconds, before replaying the full destroy animation and then reverting back to blue as I deployed them. I could click on them as green and see all resos & mods as they were 30 seconds prior.

No, a green agent did not take them back, the servers completely glitched out.

Full bars, 5G service on Verizon.

• Date and Time: 09.23.2021 - 08:11 UTC    

Timezone: BST    

Action Performed: Drone Glyph. Waiting for the result  

Perceived amount of latency: 5-10 seconds

Open ingress, go to drone, move to next portal, glyph hack... Draw the glyph, then wait 10 seconds before the results

• CaptMichielCaptMichiel ✭✭
    edited September 2021

23rd September 2021, 07:19 UTC

Experiencing ghostlink. Killed one portal of the link. Portal green, link remains in game and on Intell

Last picture is from other side of the link before killing that portal

after killing portal on other side of link around 9:30 UTC, link was gone

Post edited by CaptMichiel on
  • iFrankmansiFrankmans ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Date and time: 23. September, 10:48

Timezone: UTC + 2

Action performed: Mod deploy

Actions taken just before: Glyph hacking

Connection: 4G

• ZirtoxZirtox ✭✭
    edited September 2021

Just now, lag whilst (remote) recharging.

23 September 14.53 Amsterdam time (12:53 UTC)

Recharge button inactive / disabled for about 30 seconds this time.

Previous action: browsing keys, selecting key.

On wifi connection (ISP - Ziggo, Netherlands)

• K4CharelK4Charel ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Date and Time: 09.23.2021 - 13:21 UTC    

Action Performed: Recharge of a single res (after 10+ portal recharged without issue)

Perceived amount of latency: 45-60 seconds

Just doing a pass at recharging a few portals...

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Date and Time: 23-09-2021 @ 13:20:11 UTC.
    • Timezone: UTC+2, but used UTC for report.
    • Action Performed: Recharge remote portal. (Previous action: Unlocked phone, opened Ingress from background. Navigated to key, hit recharge button.)
    • Perceived amount of latency: 27 seconds.

• Date and Time: 09.23.2021 - 13:25 UTC    

Action Performed: Recharge of a single res (after 3 more portals recharged)

Perceived amount of latency: 10-15 seconds

Just doing a pass at recharging a few more portals...

• Date and Time: 09.22.2021 - 6:53 PM
    • Action Performed: Trying to deploy Resonators, walking around a flat, oval track in a local park, tap hacking and deploying resonators.
    • Times: there were many, listed below

6:57 PM

7:01 PM

7:02 PM

7:03 PM

7:05 PM

7:06 PM - This time I did get an error 1328 09/23/2021 00:05:01> NoRetriesError

7:10 PM

7:11 PM

7:37 PM

It was happening very frequently last night. I gave up on the screen shots after a while, or that is all I would of done last night. I ended up with a single lap because I was frustrated with not being able to even capture portals as I walked by them. If I can't even capture the portal, is the app even tracking my movements too? I clocked in 3.5 miles total walking last night and one capsule completed (that was previously started before the park). I might of gotten more km on my capsule driving home than I did walking in the park.

• Date and Time: 09.23.2021 - 6:59
    • Action Performed: Trying to recharge. Bar kept going from the bottom to the top after a boost recharge.
    • Perceived amount of latency: 30+ seconds

• Date and Time: 09.23.2021 - 7:03
    • Action Performed: Trying to hack only - greyed out hack button
    • Perceived amount of latency: 30 seconds

This morning I had very few issues. I also started a bit earlier than I did the prior day.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

”If I can't even capture the portal, is the app even tracking my movements too?”

in my opinion, the current implementation of the KC, and the intervals between updates are all sub-par and makes this event really tricky. Combine it with the latency and you’re walking 2,5-3km per capsule.

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

• Date and Time: 23 SEP 2021 08:35 EDT
    • Action Performed: Trying to recharge with a full XM bar; wouldn't go through, action was "pending" with yellow XM bar, finally errored out with a "need more XM" message despite having a full bar. Next attempt went through immediately.
    • Perceived amount of latency: 20-30 seconds, action timed out.
    • Signal: 4 full bars of 4G, Verizon Wireless.

I will not be purchasing or using battle beacons again until this is straightened out. I don't trust the servers to run them properly.

How frequently do you normally purchase/use battle beacons?

• Date and Time: 09.23.2021 - 21:26 UTC    

Action Performed: Use a cube

Open ingress, start recharging a few keys, ran out of XM and go to cubes for recharge...

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

Often, usually weekly. I recursed twice just in the month of August and have purchased nearly 200 of them.

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Date and Time: 23 SEP 2021 17:37 EDT
    • Action Performed: Tried to deploy a common shield.
    • Perceived amount of latency: Exactly 25 seconds. Full out-loud counting while staring at the screen until the mod deployed.
    • Signal: 4 full bars of 4G LTE, Verizon Wireless.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

It defaulted to VRHS after starting Hypercube program. And stayed there for 5 minutes, before I force closed the app

• K4CharelK4Charel ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Date and Time: 09.24.2021 - 08:49 UTC    

Action Performed: Recharge a resonator

Open ingress, move the drone, drone glyph hack, then start recharging a few keys... that was on the 2nd portal recharging individual res... its basically single recharge, move to the next res, and wait for the recharge button to be enabled again...

This discussion has been closed.