Distance not reporting accurately

Yesterday according to Google maps, I walked 11.9 miles, so 19.1 km. Looking at the route drawn by Google maps, this is accurate. During the entire DAY yesterday, Ingress logged 16 km, although in reality I probably walked an additional 1-2 km. All this with the game open, actively playing. While walking on curved paths, loops and up and down dead ends I did all the things such as recharging, dropping keys.

Pictured below is my route, and below that are the distances and times recorded by Google maps. Notice that I wasn't even walking very fast.

14 votes

New Report · Last Updated

Comments

• Can confirm I’ve had the same experience

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Can confirm. I’ve had a lot of times where I get to 1.9km recently with my KCap and even if I do actions on Ingress it doesn’t count my distance until much later.

• JamieofArdsJamieofArds ✭✭
    edited September 2021

Can confirm. Walked roughly 1km yesterday (Sunday) at roughly 12 noon BST hacking and recharging at points along the way so it would register. KC remained at 1.1km by the end of said km.

• I did some walking yesterday morning with Ingress active. I fed my Pokémon Go buddy before setting off in order to use Adventure Sync to gain walking hearts. Maybe around 200m of my walking was with Ingress closed (when I got to my destination and went into the building, and when I left again).

The rest of the time I was actively playing picking up XM, recharging, hacking, dropping and picking up keys at corners etc. Ingress said I had gained 2km on my Trekker, and I gained a total of 1.9km on Kinetic Capsule (the disparity presumably being the delay in it registering that I had completed one. I stopped to collect and start the second to not "waste" walking). Meanwhile when I looked at Pokémon Go my buddy had walked 3.1km.... and I generally find Adventure Sync to be below actual distance walked.

• See one of the previous responses to distance tracking in game not matching real world distance:

It'd be nice if the distance on Kinetic Capsules updated more frequently though. The error for a 2 km capsule is significant at the current update rate.

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

I did an in-game AP generating action every time my path deviated from a straight line. Usually I recharged. Some have suggested firing bursters would work better (I didn't because I reckoned that if the burster hit nothing it might not register as an action).

Taking @NianticBrian at his word that Ingress is working as designed, I would suggest that if the game is not designed to register actual kilometers, or even "action kilometers", it would make sense to rename the distance measure to something unique to the game. This could be something like "exotic intervals".

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

16km out of 19km isnt that bad but it should be closer to what u actually walked so not sure where there missing km went if u walked below speedlimit which normally most do..

• Similar problem

I walked 20 km tracked on a walking app...I started with 1km on a kinetic capsule...I managed to finish 9 caps...with one half done already, so 17km tracked in game.

Also kinetics are sometimes needing a reload of the game to register as complete.

• Same here. I was doing a mission banner over the weekend, with the game open the whole time and doing the usual “tricks” when turning corners, like letting off bursters, dropping items, recharging, drone hacks etc.

A banner that was 11.5km, only logged about 8.5km.

This is really poor timing with the KCap challenge, when my efforts to the challenge aren’t being recognised, and with Gold being at such a high level, it’s very frustrating.

Hopefully Niantic can look into this and make the necessary adjustments.

• BlaumutBlaumut ✭✭✭✭

1.9 km stuck capsule the best bug :)

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I did an analysis yesterday and posted my findings in the other thread.

Not sure if what the OP is experiencing is the same

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/14077/optima-challenge-not-all-completed-capsules-were-counted#latest

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The active sync for trekker, calculates distance traveled between the current and last GPS locations at roughly 10 second intervals. If a sharp turn occurs or you had to make short back track, it might be counted.

Essentially it is meant to be a temporary solution until Adventure Sync has been fully implemented.

We don't know when or even if it will be implemented.

And I know that it is even worse for Optima Challenge. I have had 25% of my distance walked, not recorded.

Having walked 40km, but only 15 Kinetic Capsules recorded. Losing up to 5 Kinetic Capsules this past week, or 10km.

• I've been seeing similar occurances on the POGO side as well and its been getting annoying to the point i stop playing/walking sometimes by not going out simply because its not tracking the distance travelled correctly or importing the tracking data as it should...recently when the app was open my device was going sooo sluggish it felt unusable and like a massive memory leak but only when pogo was open...i opened HPWU and that played fine with no noticable slowdown just minor map errors where the map was missing the paths,roads etc...but the longer i kept the app open the map started to fill itself in after a long 15+ mins of play which was very odd as its normally a lot quicker to do this.

I cant vouch for ingress prime at present due to other issues but if these two appd are experiencing the same issues i can only summise that Ingress will have certain issues also.

Now while we dont have adventure sync enabled yet for Ingress prime i've been using Google Fit for tracking and because its connected to the other two its also been showing a lack of recording tracking data and sensor data import mainly when the apps go sluggish and i've noticed the pogo app just stop miles away from where i currently am randomly,yet the map continues to run as if i was still there...for me this started a few pogo updates ago and i keep seeing my GPS location icon keep turning off and on at the top of my screen while i was active so im not sure what's going on there either.

Frustrating is the best word i can think of at the moment.

I dont half miss Ingress Prime Gameplay sometimes :-( i actually had more fun walking.