Ingress has been lagging for months

Comments

• iFrankmansiFrankmans ✭✭✭✭

Another week another level of frustrations. This is still happening regularly!

Please someone take a look at it, playing the waiting game during a walking challenge is even more annoying!

@NianticBrian @NianticThia @ofer2

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Recharge lag, then mod lag, whilst walking.

Note I am on 5G with full bars, phones a Samsung S21. Should be fast.

I mean, it's playable, but game performance is like pre-anomaly game when server loads building up.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont look forward winter and cold if this lag will not be resolved :/

I also don't understand the complete silence, not even the community manager is replying @NianticThia, while a large part of the community is very upset with below par game performance.

edited September 2021

You must be new here.

Some individuals post waaaay more here than people paid to do so.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the lag happens at different intervals for agents but who knows.

Thank you for letting us know that it is on your radar, now let's hope this can get fixed soon.

• I had the impression that it was never immediate, but happening after some time playing, but the time can vary depending on the actions you make. I went destroying some enemy fields two days ago, and after 30-ish minutes of destroying resonators the game was so laggy… But I can also let the game open for more than 4h just hacking from time to time and it will run fine (if you accept COMM getting late updates and needing a constant refresh ofc).

My feeling was that some actions are introducing memory leaks, so the more action you make the more laggy it gets.

Agree - Though sometimes I get almost immediate delays on deploying mods etc, the spiral of lagginess appears.

Then it goes away and you can play again, sometimes it strikes mid deploy... Start deploying - get a few resonators on then it just freezes, wait it out, then you can finish deploying.

Or, tap hack a few portals and lag kicks in, and no more are hackable, then it unpauses and you get gear hacked from portal a short while ago and the HACK button ungreys allowing more hacks.

Probably the OLDEST symptom is recharging, where the bar shades to show used XM, BUT the portals not charged and you have to wait for it to process. The the shade vanishes and your XM bar drops.

It's just sluggish.

• We might have two different things going on yes. Memory leak could explain what I experience after a couple of hours playing (that is, if my battery last that long…), while something else could cause immediate lag when I'm recharging…

• I am not going to speculate on what it could be, but sometime I noticed it like within 30 seconds of opening the game (OnePlus 9).

I am glad this is acknowledged by Niantic. The only think I would ask from @NianticThia is if we could have an regular update on how that investigation is progressing.

I find it frustrating enough I would be even willing to try out debug builds if that can help to narrow the investigate.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

the lag happens more or less daily for me, sometimes first portal i encounter lag, sometimes its after 20min of playing, its hard say when it happens but i know for certain it will happen while playing and reading on TG it happens on different hours, morning or evenings so its not isolated to a certain time of day the lag.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

When the game was down a few times a few days ago, I mentioned it in TG groups and found other agents had the same thing. But that was different from the lag, the game wouldn't even open.

I think it's safe to say there are different degrees of latency, sometimes even to the point the client doesn't seem to connect to the servers anymore. I think it's great we are now gathering information and the team is 'investigating', but I am really wondering what they have been doing up until this point. I mean in one other topic, we got a reply from NianticVK (around July!) that he was going to take it to the team and 'investigate'.

Fast forward MONTHS, and now we as a playerbase are doing the work again. It's okay, I am happy to help as long as we get some feedback about the progress. It's hard to believe this whole issue was IGNORED FOR MONTHS.

What would be welcome is some statement about monitoring the situation past months and not getting enough data to confirm the issue. It's like someone said in one of the topics about this, if you grab your game and PLAY for once, it's hard to not have the issue occur for yourself.

• Just now, lag whilst trying to recharge.

Around 14.53 Amsterdam time

• Wondering if @NianticThia could share any progress updates with us on this topic.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Post the info over on the https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/16756/game-latency thread in the bug report forum.

Hopefully someone from the Ingress team will have some sort of an update for us at least. I'd tag @nianticxxx but currently that just means crickets despite having several different groups who should be able to update us...

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

It was far worse during 2019. The running joke in my box was you'd get 45 minutes of play before you got punted, the screen froze,or if you were not on the screen all the time exclusively you would get punted within about 90 seconds.

Then you'd have to wait to get back in.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Every day when i'm gonna recharge all existing keys i have for example two-three lags.I don't think i should post a message every this annoying time(even with logcat),this is a server-side error imo.

Lag today was awful, note the glowy light, greyed 'deploy' button - resonator deploy lag failure. Even got an "invalid resonator" error message.

Also note, this is a current model Samsung S21 on full bar 5G connection.

Please fix Niantic!

Even our regional players are now complaining:

It's getting quite bad @ofer2 - it took me like a minute or two to get a portal deployed yesterday. It's going to start putting people off playing.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I am not even bothering reporting issues anymore. It serves no purpose and I just want to play the game, so I just restart to get back to playing.

• First - You'll have fewer freezes if you close every app that uses GPS. Ingress does not share well with others. Close Google maps, Wayz, everything. Check apps that are always running - weather apps are notorious for tracking you at all times, using your GPS bandwidth.

I see the lag faster/stronger if I've been playing with keys, and/or capsules containing keys. This makes some sense - Ingress has to calculate your location, its location, distance between (intense processing, quickly). If you're sorting and charging keys, just expect that you're going to need to close and re-open the app.

I see it all kinds of day, but the time I have the most experience with is 10PM EDT. I try to charge keys before going to bed (maybe after going to bed). There's no action in Comms at that hour, yet the lag is reliable (and reliably annoying). The agent wants to get a rhythm - tap reso, tap charge, tap reso, tap charge. But inevitably, you tap reso, tap charge and it doesn't take because it's still working on the prior reso's charge. You don't realize that reso wasn't charged, and tap another, then charge. Sometimes I don't realize until I'm putting (supposedly) charged keys back into my charging locker - a reso or two isn't completely charged on a portal I thought I was finished.