Ingress has been lagging for months

Let me start off with the fact that I am fully aware that numerous bug reports have been made about the fact that any game action can result in a period in which no additional (same) game actions can be taken. Unfortunately the lack of a response to any of these reports made me create this thread, because it is time to resolve this!

This issue became even worse over the course of the MeetYouOutThere challenge. So many players thought: oh well, after this event is over things will improve. Unfortunately we are now more than a week along with no significant performance improvement.

Now is the time to let our voices be heard, we would like a game that actually let's us play instead of wait at random portals for actions to complete (where is that force sync button?).

I have been a core supporter since it's introduction, have spent my fair amount of sparetime enjoying all the facets this game has to offer, but if basic functionality keeps on failing I might stop enjoying this game.

@NianticBrian @NianticThia @ace

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The lag, is in dense portal areas, such as a central business district. Worse if there are dozens of players playing.

• Als het allemaal zo door gaat is eind van de maand mijn core abonnement opgezegd en misschien sluit ik dan ook wel ingress want speel plezier gaat zo erg hard naar de kloten door al die bugs.

Ik denk dat niantic eens moet gaan stoppen met al die spullen maken en zich gaan focussen op ingress waar de basis is begonnen voor hun andere spellen zolas pokemon harry porter en noem maar op wat er allemaal onder de vlag niantic zit.

Mijn speelplezier is nu erg laag level geworden .

Core abonnement is opgezegd voor volgenden maand .

Dus jullie niantic doe er wat aan met ons geld

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there really no update from niantic on this ?

• iFrankmansiFrankmans ✭✭✭✭

Well playing the (Niantic) waiting game is exactly like opening the scanner now, expect nothing happens and maybe you will get surprised.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s getting to the point that it’s just sad. And I think proof that no matter what happens, Niantic is unable to act like a real company.

Every hour is amateur hour, I mean it’s been YEARS, and promises for improvement have been fruitless.

Get it together already. sheeesh.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

The game is not even loading right now @NianticVK - I'd suggest looking at monitoring/logfiles.

Timestamp: 17:40 GMT+1.

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

What I've noticed is that there is a relationship between the lag and the introduction of the drones.

You can easily prove this out by doing the following:

1) Check your drone time, and wait until you have about 20-30 seconds left until it's time to move your drone.

2) Start recharging your keys or deploying resonators.

3) Watch for your drone availability to tick over; when it does, your actions will freeze.

Background actions like modding, deploying, or recharging will seize up while your drone becomes active again. This is REALLY obvious during special events where the drone can be moved every 8 or 15 minutes, you get regular, repeated scanner lockup every time your drone is ready for movement again.

Now, the underlying root cause of all of this could be the cheaper servers Niantic moved us onto, but the drones are definitely not helping. They shouldn't be causing agent actions to freeze up.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The lag was introduced with the shift from the high compute server to a low compute server.

As a bandaid of losing buckets of money.

It was also an interim solution for the "much more efficient" Lightship servers.

The recent changes and posts about Wayfarer, Lightship and Ingress,. Still hasn't seen a full disclosure yet of if, or when, Ingress servers will be fully migrated to Lightship.

@NianticThia are you able to shed some light on this please?

• Reading the above comments i would figure that they would have had enough time to sort this out.

And would have had a chance to respond to the other threads/bugreport

So @NianticBrian read along as well please.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭
  • EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Its really frustrating using an Apex or Battle Beacon, then suddenly the game freezes up. Can't deploy a resonator, can't glyph, can't deploy a mod, can't link/field. I think I rarely ever even use either unless it's already double AP.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@EvilSuperHeros Or a fracker. I feel like I lose about 10% of every fracker these days.

edited September 2021

So still no feedback, at least we managed to get this huge update with 0 fixes for iOS!

Is there even any awareness? Maybe @ofer2 can help out here, thanks!

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, well even the fact that 100+ agents couldn’t get a field up because of ghost links says it all. Now they don’t need ingress, so they can **** it off anytime they want.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

No XM loaded, no links, laaaag.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

is anyone from niantic even give us an update on the problem that still exists?

I didn't get a personal reply and no one answered here or in the bug reports. So please pick this up @NianticBrian @NianticThia

• liyu1liyu1 ✭✭✭

when it laggs , does it laggs for everyone at the same time? because i tend to recharge portals under attack and its annoying that u cant defend it properly.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been getting worse, and I predict that at the start (and during) the event it will be even worse.

Wanted to re-create my fan field just now, had to restart twice (once going to the portal hacking portals along the way) and once during actual creating the fields. I got several errors:

'Scanner communication error'

'Portal key missing'

'No retries - bla bla -'

@ofer2 probably arranged for extra server space for the next 10 days right?