Upload later feature

GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticThia

Ingress classic had this feature long ago. But was dropped due to (rubbish) reasons, and later only a few kilometers from the actual location.

We still need to upload later, as those wayspots even though have not enough cellular data to nominate, Ingress uses far far less bandwidth than any other Niantic games to play with.

Seeing as this feature is now rolling out to the other game, Ingress still needs this more.

I'll also challenge why the other game needs to have this, as it is non sensible, Niantic Lightship is bloated.

It is a fact.

Games, other than Ingress, that uses Niantic Lightship also need a strong 4G cellular signal to be remotely playable.

I have already posted in the Wayfarer community and asked the project manager for a, please explain.

But we Ingress players need a, please explain.

Why a core feature it had, was removed, replaced with a caveat, but ultimately still Ingress absolutely needs over any other game.

Comments

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Agents were spamming trash submissions? Thank goodness we never see any terrible submissions from Pokémon GO players nominating their front door or begging for PokéStops.

I agree that Ingress also needs this feature. A bit annoying to see Pokémon GO get things first. I’m still irked that they have a nice little progress bar for Scans, where we just have a spinning endless triangle with no indication of when the scan upload will be finished.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a red herring. The functionality of being able to upload later is a net benefit. You're forgetting to note that back in the day there was no limitations on submitting portal nominations. We also had the onyx Seer at 5000 (and plat at 500).

Since then, we have a limitation on submitting 14 nominations every 13 days and 25 km from your current location.

Also, portal scans have this functionality.

• This so-called "feature" was completely broken on iPhones and made it so that less than 50% of things I tried to submit got stuck on my phone in Redacted. I also couldn't submit more than one thing at a time. So if I was at a park, for example, I would need to submit the first thing and then wait 15 minutes without switching from the app, try to log out of the app to see if there was a pending submission, and if not, repeat the process with another submission. Merely switching away from Redacted to check another app (e.g. mail) could cause submissions to get forever stuck on the phone. Since this was pre-Wayfarer, the description had to be entered fully and carefully on the phone every single time. I wasted many, many hours of my life on submissions that got stuck on my phone.

Submitting on Prime is a pure joy in comparison.

The was the worst bug in any of Niantic's games and this miserable feature can rot in hell. I hope it never returns in anything like its former form.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the same experience with my iPhone. I routinely had to submit edits just to get the stuck nominations unstuck, and even then it didn’t always work.

• The amount of POI that do not get submitted because of bad signal is horrid. Happens all the time and you end up not playing in the hope that staying on the screen and walking another mile before hitting submit again might make it go through but rarely does.

Everyone I know who submits either forgets or can't be bothered to run a separate camera program to take pictures to submit later. So having an upload later like with portal scans is the perfect fix for this problem.

We were told that Ingress prime was created so all Niantic games could use th same programming language and codebase so we know it's very easy to implement in to Ingress.

The fact Pogo got this first shows what Niantic thinks of base Ingress players who originally built their POI database, compared to their moneycow Pokémon go.

Show Ingress some love, give us Upload later!

• Im not sure where to suggest that his but related to the time out problem when uploading images...

Obviously Niantic want high quality pictures for their POI database but the games display a lower quality pictures for speed and bandwidth reasons I assume.

So why not when a picture is taken, let devices compress it locally to send to Niantic so it's smaller and faster and less likely to fail and then once on WiFi the higher quality picture gets uploaded. You could make it so it's only finally submitted when the higher quality picture gets uploaded.

Or with Google's camera API take 2 pictures of different quality straight away instead of local compressing. Not sure if this can be done on IOS.

Just a random thought...

I got a response from @NianticDanbocat about this here;

A few important bits from it;

@PkmnTrainerJ-ING - Yes, Brian (Ingress Producer) and I are talking about it for Ingress :) I'll look into whether Ingress wants to bring a few other things into parity with PGO (and in the future with other games) in terms of submission distance limits etc. cc @HankWolfman-PGO, per your comment.

@Grogyan-ING - not sure where you're getting your insight that PGO does not need it, but I do agree it'd be good to have in Ingress too. Brian and I are already talking about it. @PkmnTrainerJ-ING - it's not actually coming to PGO because $$. It's because Ingress had some other critical infrastructure work that pushed-off any Wayfarer feature. Each game has it's own to-do list and I have to coordinate the Wayfarer bits wherever/whenever I can :)

• sophielabsophielab ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

I actually needed to use more than the proposed reduced distance in pokemon go this summer during submissions. I had 2 accepted portals on an island that's more than 10 km off the coast. It wasn't laziness. The signal was barely playable with lots of lag. We still need the long range distance. Please don't reduce it.

I submit in Ingress because it's fun to explore and get more portal discovered on my profile. I just open pokemon go play. I'm not excited enough to submit something to make a pokestop in an area I would not play in on a normal basis. I use quite a few nominations visiting places I probably won't be back to in the near future if at all.

Post edited by sophielab on
  • SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Submit later would be much appreciated. I can come back with signal gear and use it later but be nice to submit without carrying poles n antennas.

This goes live for Pokémon GO tomorrow (and is already live for some users). Any chance of getting it on Ingress soon too?

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had to abandon nominations several times because I had enough signal to play but not submit.

This has actually not gone live for Pokémon GO users. May we be getting a joint release instead?

This feature is now available on Pokémon GO, but in classic Niantic style™️ it’s not working as intended.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol, so predictable 🤣

Upload Later has now been fixed in Pokémon GO. Can it now be added into Ingress?

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Could have really used this feature today. I found two potential waypoints in low cell areas. The game plays fine in the spots, just can't upload photos for new spots.

I have tried this now on Pokémon GO. Works really well. You can also use it for adding additional photos, so really good as the scanner is often so slow at that whilst I do want to add a photo but I also want to hack and play.

When’s the ETA for it hitting Ingress, @NianticThia ?

Hey fellow agents. I know that some of you may not play Pokémon GO, so thought I’d share this process here to show what it looks like.

You nominate your POI like normal and then you get this box at the end;

If you select Upload Later you get this next.

From tapping the main menu page you get a new icon underneath the usual ones that looks like this.

You will get a notification if not on WiFi, to confirm you’re happy to use mobile data.

You can also go into the screen where you would usually select to nominate a new POI, and see your queue.

(I don’t know why this says 9MB and the other said 12MB)

The name of the nomination does show up, but I’ve blanked it out here as not to dox myself.

There is a confirmation screen after this that I didn’t catch as I was taking a screenshot of this.

But you will then get the email as usual and see it on Wayfarer in due course.

• Thanks for the demo @PkmnTrainerJ !

This feature is super helpful on Pokémon GO the game that must not be named on the Ingress Forums.

Is it going to be in Ingress before the end of the year?

Upload Later for Ingress got a mention here

REST OF YEAR

• Adding the ability to upload nominations later, and upload management page in Ingress.