About +300 scans lost

BlaumutBlaumut ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I scanned about more 300 portals. I wanted to upload all of them during an IFS@home event. Neverthless when I start the upload, the animation of scan upload is running but nothing happens.

Device : Samsung S7

Ingress Version : 2.66.2-65dbe5ed

Android version : 8.0.0

Free space : ~ 9 GB

Tagged:
16 votes

Investigating · Last Updated

Comments

• HopeaKotkaHopeaKotka ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Noticed this behavior already last December but not sure if NIA is investigating this:

Maybe the bug report needs more up-votes.

Anyway your scans are safe but a bug prevents sending them to NIA server.

Post edited by HopeaKotka on
  • Trying to upload 300 Portal Scans will take a very long time, even if you're on Wi-Fi. After starting the upload, can you clarify what you mean by, "nothing happens"? For example, if you start the Portal Scan upload and return to your Map Screen, do you see any of the +500 AP toast messages to show an indication of progress if you wait for a few minutes?

• BlaumutBlaumut ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Hereafter the video about "nothing happens". On Saturday i left the application to run for 1h. No scan was uploaded.

No +500 AP toast in the map screen.

Edit: Link to the video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YI_K-vSTMnlLNk6OuKk1yGE58jk0QhI_/view?usp=sharing

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found that it helped to install a connection speed app to display the upload/download speed in the taskbar, this way you can see if something is actually going through and happening. If nothing is uploading, it might be a firewall issue?

300 scans is huge, I've been doing about 150 tops and although it's slow haven't seen any issues.

• I have had trouble with this since December 2020 (back log uploading multiple scan on WiFi) but today I also noticed that I can't even update a single scan anymore. It works sometimes and sometimes not.

• As for my case, I haven't seen anything and have not gotten any Ap or ticks for the portal scans. Sometimes the app crash after 10 mins of loading and sometimes after 30min - 1 hour. But it always crash.

• I suffer from the same problem, too. When I acquire data of more than 200, go home and try upload in WIFI, only several files are completed, and tens of filing is completed, and it has stopped at the thing of which a reaction died after that and a different case. Though several first files were successful in upload every several seconds, even if it has passed for 5 minutes suddenly, nothing happens, and when it's being left just as it is, an application crashes. It's reluctant, but I have no choice but to carry out data clearance. I sacrificed hundreds of of data already.

I, it's guessed, when the file damaged by some reasons has been generated, I think I try to upload the file, and the phenomenon I don't advance towards the front eternally has occurred.

An acquaintance, in Android, like, when I encountered a phenomenon and the scan data was checked, a file of 1KB was found. When I eliminated this and challenged once again, upload resumed.

The one even normal data has made wasteful by a cause of a damaged file is the current state.

In the data whether you break if the data damaged during upload is confirmed, skips a damaged file, and by which it's the next whether you break if the data damaged during upload is confirmed, I move, specification improvement, please.

• CrownanCrownan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

I have same problem , did like 20-30 scans. Using Android, when I try too upload them with wifi at home the whole app crashes after a while (usually around the 5 minute mark). Sometimes when I scan I get a "1 MB" scan (looks like a red question mark). It it usually when I get one of those my whole uploading process wont progress.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

I know my question is way off this topic, but what is the maximum number of portal scans one agent can hold and then upload successfully? 200 or 300? Does it also depend on the device one is using?

• NaruwasherNaruwasher ✭✭✭✭✭

When I first started scanning in March 2020, the maximum I held to upload later were about 70 scans. Ended up losing 17 of the 70 scans I did so I never used the "upload later" option again. I would suspect it also depends on the device and free storage on that device. Scans can accumulate in size real quick.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

I feel bad that you lost 17 of those scans which you captured. Isn't there any other way to retrieve those lost scans? Niantic should at least have a back-up/retrieval system for those scans that agents like yourself worked hard for. Thank you for the valuable information.

• BlaumutBlaumut ✭✭✭✭

Any update from the back stage @NianticBrian?

• BlaumutBlaumut ✭✭✭✭

Hello @NianticBrian, any update? Thanks

• @Blaumut I'm not sure what corrupted a given Portal Scan, but we're investigating ways to provide more granularity with upload management of Portal Scans versus the current bulk upload. This should help address the original issue because when a Portal Scan is corrupted, as mentioned above, it can block subsequent uploads of other Portal Scans in the queue.

• BlaumutBlaumut ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your answer. Should i delete all the data or do you suggest to delete all and scan again?

• Hulk32Hulk32 ✭✭✭

Available portal nominations and portal scan slots in a settings section would be a nice addiction on top of that. Right now, you have to actually start the process of nominating a new portal or scanning, which needs a portal in range, to get these numbers. Having them at a glance would help us to plan travels to populate the portal network from home. Thanks!

• BlaumutBlaumut ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

And again more scans lost. About 90 scans done, only 5 uploaded. 1 hour connected on wifi without any update.

Version 2.701-3e2bOb3d Samsung Galaxy 7.

I will delete all the data again.

@NianticBrian could you push a reset of the number of scans available ? Or should I open a ticket every time ?

• @NianticBrian Any update on the issue with uploads failing. I've got about 50 scans stuck on my phone and those were saved using the "Upload Later" option as they were remote portals. Those just refuse to upload, but others since then have uploaded using the "Upload Now" option.

Would it be possible to have something like a list (similar to mission waypoints/mission lists) of pending scans which have been saved using the "Upload Later" option and then allowing them to be uploaded/cleared each individually or a upload all/clear button at the top.

With regards to my current issue and what can be done now, are there any suggestions apart from clear all?

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

>"Would it be possible to have something like a list (similar to mission waypoints/mission lists) of pending scans which have been saved using the "Upload Later" option and then allowing them to be uploaded/cleared each individually or a upload all/clear button at the top."

You mean like something Pokemon GO already had for quite some time? 🙈

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

Just had this happen to me too. Any updates about fixing this issue?

edited October 2021

@NianticBrian is there an update to this issue? I just tried again today after taking 20 scans, and it just didn't upload any of them. I'm losing scans and not getting credit towards the badge here. It's frustrating. None of the portals say I'm controller, I left it trying to upload for over and hour for 20 scans for nothing.

Using an iPhone7 iOS 14.7.1

Post edited by GearGlider on
    edited October 2021

@NianticBrian @NianticThia I’m unsure if I ran across a bug or not but I thought I’d report it here.

The “documents and data” the ingress app stores on my phone doesn’t decrease after I clear the scans stuck on my phone. It increased by 3mb actually. This is how it looked after I cleared my scans.

I had to delete the app to get rid of it. After I reinstalled, played a bit, and scrolled through all my keys and the comms to load ~1000 photos, here’s where I was at.

I’m wondering if it was possible corrupted ‘cleared’ scans were interfering with my scan upload as I was having difficulty uploading small number of scans afterwards, which I never had trouble with before. Mostly because I scanned some portals with the yellow ring around them i hadnt scanned before and when I did upload later (and got the infinite uploading bug) I got some credit toward scout, but not scout controller, making me further wonder if old scans were somehow still on my phone.

this is the version of ingress running on my iPhone 7 iOS 14.7.1

Edit: I confirmed that the "Documents and Data" size went back down after I successfully uploaded portal scans. Will have to test and see what happens when I take a scan and clear it, assuming it uncorrupted.

Post edited by GearGlider on

After being able to successfully upload scans all week, just had the infinite upload glitch happen again. No idea what could have cuased it. I took 18 scans, and 3 uploaded before it went into infinite loading. None of my scans were 0 frames (which is what I thought might have caused it last time).

@NianticBrian @NianticThia is there any update about this?

Happened again to me. Hadn't have it happen for a while, past few times just got the "scanned failed to upload" message. I took about 80ish scans this time, got the infinite upload glitch after most, but not all, of them uploaded. Wish I had kept track of stuff, would have had more to report.

• @GearGlider you do realise that the ingress app is now on version 2.82.1 right,not that theres a portal scan fix available on this update but its always best to have the latest version installed.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

u should get a force update if u are on older now so that cant be it.

• Only if they close down the previous version but it can be a simple slip of the mind with everything going on behind the scenes at present to close the previous releases down.

I had this latest updated version when I made my post on the 22nd. Next time I will be more clear that I have the latest updated version.