Getting in and out of chat should be easier

At the moment, chat being baked into Ingress is actually working against it - if I want to chat with someone using some other app, I can quickly and easily change apps then go back to what I was doing in Ingress.

You should be able to get back to Ingress in a single tap from anywhere in chat.

When you go back to chat, it should return you to your last location, whether that was a channel or the map, etc.

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Duplicate of

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/16348/request-change-niantic-chat-as-separate-app#latest

• I don't think it needs to be a separate app, and to be honest I don't actually want yet another messaging app on my phone. (Of course, if it ends up being separated then I'll no doubt end up using it.)

Even though my feedback on your suggestion should probably go there, it's relevant to this being a distinct suggestion. From a new user point of view, stripping it out into a separate app just doesn't make sense - the whole point of having the chat in the app is that people who start playing can find it. If you need to download another app to chat or form groups, then we might as well all just use Discord/Telegram/Chat/Slack.

I would go for an intel interface, so I can use it on desktop, though.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe, although I have been using Niantic Chat in Catan, and it really detracts the gameplay significantly.

Yesterday, for Ingress, last night I couldn't sleep without posting my recommendation for a separate app, to maintain game flow.

Curious for feedback on either direction

• I agree that the current implementation is a bit of a faff but I also appreciate the desire to have the chat built in rather than as a separate app.

The suggested compromise of a top layer button/floaty thingy to access Niantic Chat from any game screen is a good one with the caveat that careful thought as to were placement of that would be

• oppolotoppolot ✭✭✭

I was thinking it to be a situation where the chat world be accessed via in game, or seperate app, both can exist at the same time 😁

• It would be really useful to be able to jump back into Ingress from your current group, rather than having to go back to the main screen then hit “Return to Ingress”

It should also work the other way so it’s easy to swap from a specific group to the game and back.

It’s really cumbersome right now