field question

ZephinosZephinos ✭✭
edited July 2021 in General

Where I am at there is a field that covers basically the whole southwest side of my state. Am I understanding correctly that I cannot link anything under that field ever?

If so there really is no reason to play or am I missing something?

Comments

• AzhreiaAzhreia ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct, you cannot link and field under an existing field. But, play isn't completely hindered by that. You can still go out and capture, deploy and mod portals, and take down green ones. Even completing missions that are hack/passphrase/capture or install a mod are doable.

• ArkFangArkFang ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately it’s just the way the game is designed. Has been since day 1. Unless we get Matryoshka’d again. That was a fun event. But it was also just temporary, and was the first time it happened (at least in the recent past).

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Has Salt Lake been covered this entire event?

• The rule that prevents fielding under fields hurts not just beginners, but also more advanced players who want to work on the onyx connector or mind controller medal. It favours a small minority of agents with lots of time, motor vehicles and access to portals that are not open to the public.

• Yeah, you can also fly your drone, scan portals and recharge. You can even reach level 16 and recurse without ever making a single link.

• yeah I still been playing... I've taken down some portal owned by opposite faction and no retaliation so far. There is a chance I may be going to one of the towns that is part of the huge field here soon so maybe i can take some time and do some damage there. However the giant field that they have setup has multiple subfield so it may be in vain.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck, reach out to your faction and see if you can get some help. Maybe stage attacks from multiple areas and send out blockers to try and make it more difficult to fix.

• MuzzgoodMuzzgood ✭✭✭

👍 Reach out in faction comm and check plans with fellow agents. Sometimes a new active player is the only thing needed to turn the tide and to give your faction the upper hand. Ingress is multiplayer and geobased: no two players have the exact same playfield when they start the app unless they live at the same place.

• MuzzgoodMuzzgood ✭✭✭

This particular mechanism IS the game Ingress.

An agent claims an area for his/her faction by making a field.

The claim is measured in MU.

The opposing faction can purge the claim by destroying the field.

The two factions compete for MU.

Thats it. Thats the game Ingress.

To be successful in Ingress You need to move/travel on the playfield and cooperate with other, sometimes distant, players.

This is the core idea of the game.

Ingress is not just ap and badges its a multiplayer faction based game where You have you fight together with others for Your piece of the global playfield.

Personally I see no need for revision of the core idea of Ingress; then it will be another game. I think it is important to also put forward this opinion on this forum where I can read the same complaints on Ingress basics over and over again by the same people.

Do You remember the discussion how shield nerfing would bless Ingress with so many new players and so much more active play @Perringaiden ?

What happened? 1) there was no need any longer to team up to attack a farm 2) there was no idea to team up to try to defend/keep a farm: as a single player I can without help tear anything down if I just have ammo which is storage.

So: less engagement for many and increased engagement for a few. It killed farmplay = cooperation.

Every time a reason to team up and cooperate disappears from the game, Ingress as a "we"-game looses in my opinion

and turns into a "me"-game which gives two effects:

1) Ingress has to compete with the other "me"-games.

2) The "we"-players leave the game. 

Personally Im one of the LTP that still have hope for an Ingress comeback as a "we"-game with hard challenges that demands cooperation instead of nerf after nerf after nerf.

Make some things harder in the game @Nia introduce some challenging tasks most of us players arent kids!

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

The idea is to make fields to control minds. The lore doesn't specifically say fields block other fields.

If you can't take a step back and look and realize the economics don't work long term for survivability, you have your head in the sand. Adapt or die. We're headed towards the latter.

Allowing people to play the "me" game doesn't exclude them from playing the "we" game. It does however, stop the bored "we" people from dictating others' play. Certainly wouldn't **** the teamwork portion of the game.

• @Muzzgood

Yeah I understand that is point of this game. However in my situation there is no opposing faction in any of the towns that have the portals that make up this field. From what I can tell anyways using the intel map. Also they all seem to be from the same person that like did a round trip vacation or something, claiming portals at small towns or tourist stops. Which strategically is a good idea but really limits me or anyone else that would join under this field. Now I could drive down to the closest of the four towns and spend who knows how long taking down level 8 portals, but that is not feasible for me.

I will keep playing and do what little I can but already its getting boring.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

Don't worry, Niantic will do their best to turn a blind eye to restricted access portals that enable these fields to stay up permanently.

• MuzzgoodMuzzgood ✭✭✭

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Who is the one dictating how the game should work here in thread after thread? Im telling You how the game IS working.

Learn the game.

Adapt.

We are many that enjoy the game Ingress. I think it is important that also this opinion is voiced on this forum.

@Nia Thanks for a great game!

• MuzzgoodMuzzgood ✭✭✭

Of course this is a bummer for You and an effect of a geolocalized global playfield.

Depending on where I am in the world when I start the scanner the playfield looks different.

Some people are in cities others on the countryside, some on islands and some in the desert or forest without portals, as I am personally.

This is also what is unique with Nias games personally I like it.

My advice is:

1) make those trips You suggested to the other cities and level up to at least L6 the higher the better. This is a treat You get by playing Ingress, to make trips and see things You never would have done otherwise. Have fun!

2) If You like the game, recruit some friends and/or make contact with Your faction i comm. Then You can make plans and play and/or travel together and maybe do a banner.

3) When You and/or your local community is strong enough, take the fields down and if possible keep them down with strategical block links to strategical far away portals. It might be easier than You think.

Dont curse the darkness, light a candle 👍

Good Hunting!

• Whar kind of game is it where you have to drive miles and miles before you can even start to play? I am sure 99% of newbies would quit if they are in Zephinos' situation, and not even discover that Ingress can be quite fascinating.

Does anyone still remember why the no-fields-under-fields rule was introduced in the first place?

• Technically there is not a no-field-under-field rule. There is a no-link-under-field rule. And as far as I known that rule is there since the beginning.

There is a lot of things that can be done under a field. Players can still gain ap and level up.

Ingress was always a game where you needed to drive and move around to get things done. If you are under a field, coordinate with your team the destruction of the field and some blocking links. If it's destroyed without cleaver blocks, probably will be up again in no time.

• If you are under a field, there is a 50% chance the field was made by your own faction. In that case, the advice to destroy the anchors and throw blocking links is a bit problematic.

• ZephinosZephinos ✭✭
    edited August 2021

@Muzzgood

We will see. Its a two hour drive to the closest town (with the anchor points) and there are 6-7 anchor points that create those layered fields (whatever they are called). It still not feasible to go that way just to do that. If there is a chance that I might go there soon then maybe, however most the time it is for a more important reason and I may not have time for that.

Far as friends go, they may join but they too are under said fields, but are closer to that town and may potentially help. However they two cant just drive wherever whenever they want because of various reasons.

I'm only complaining a little. I understand its the way of the game but anyone that is a new user is going to be discouraged. I was curious if I was missing a mechanic in the game that allowed me to more than I was seeing. Maybe remotely.

Maybe if they made it were you could warp you avatar or drone to other portals around the world and attack with your drone. Maybe not as much as if your were there. I don't know I played a wizard-ish (magic type) game just like this back in the day where you could warp around and do things like that. Cant remember the name of it. Its vague but the last thing I remember doing was warping to Europe for a global event fighting this crystal looking spider that took up the whole town map. Of course it was easy to warp wherever you wanted, there were restrictions.

• Do You remember the discussion how shield nerfing would bless Ingress with so many new players and so much more active play @Perringaiden ?

What happened? 1) there was no need any longer to team up to attack a farm 2) there was no idea to team up to try to defend/keep a farm: as a single player I can without help tear anything down if I just have ammo which is storage.

Since this still hasn't happened, I have no idea what you're talking about.

edited August 2021

This is choosing between a rock and a hard place, or quitting altogether.

Perhaps the real solution is to have matryoshka effect take place after XX hours after a field goes up. Let people make the big fields and such, but after a certain period of time it enables others to play normally. At that point throwing fields would be an innoculation period for matryoshka links/fields, not permanent. Lots of solutions out there to make QoL better for people.

• "have matryoshka effect take place after XX hours after a field goes up"

that's a nice idea: creating a fields blocks linking under that area, but only until (for example) next checkpoint.

So you could create a field, and when it goes matryoshka, build hcf7 or higher.

One thing that was brought to my attention was the need to use fields to control areas before important ops. I see the value of this, but not as a permanent fixture. The thoughts on matryoshka and how we can implement it in a fair/effective manner has been a good conversation over time.