Moving portals to correct location

We have several portals in our town that need to be moved. Churches that changed buildings and the old buildings are still showing as portals, but they are private residence and a day care center. But we have been unable to get the map to let us move them. Another is showing up across the street and we can't even move it back, the map just snaps back to the incorrect location. Suggestions?

Tagged:

Comments

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

File the move, once rejected, take it to the wayfarer forums with actual proof and it should get moved accordingly.

Id consider proof being google maps street view, photos you’ve taken with your phone, etc. Your word is not proof….

• Portal moves were restricted to 10 meters or less, which is likely the snap back you're seeing. It's about 33 feet, tiny. You can submit a location edit request with the following information. I used it once, it was surprisingly fast, but that was a while ago. May want to submit some new photos of the new locations.

http://bit.ly/LocationUpdateRequest

• AgentX1976AgentX1976 ✭✭✭

I've used this method and it works. You won't get any indication that it has happened or will happen untill it does. Make sure you take some photos of where you Want it to move or Screenshot Google maps to show proof. Typically pretty easy.

• Theres some pretty fun things you can do with moves. Drop links and fields from a portal regardless of your proximity to it, without giving any notifications, or delete portals entirely even if valid nominations.

• AzhreiaAzhreia ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not the intention of the system, and anyone using this purely to drop links is abusing it.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

Abuse without sanction is advanced gameplay.

• With NIAs current system, there would be no way to know. It could be a legit move, however on a portal with a BAF or blocker. How can you prove they wanted to drop the links in that case? It can be such a small move OPR would likely end up accepting.

The only fix to this would be to maintain the existing links, but then the abuse would change to "move away legit portal with link so it becomes harder to neutralize".

There are lots of threads filled up with problems like this and they all have the same root: abuse unsanctioned.

• The fix would be to wait until the portal is neutralized for the move to happen.

Yeah, that would be good but sometimes that can't happen until the portal is moved. I think an intense case-scenario listing would be needed to check what solution can be better.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

How would that work? Do the links stay on the portal? What happens if the links that were doable before are no longer doable?

Well that would depend on what condition are we facing.

-Crosslinks are an known exploit used for Field Art and also a thing that naturally happens in the game already, so solution to that would already have a how-to.

-If we are facing a distance link-range situation, I see no problem with that since a move is a few meters thing. If a portal is missplaced loger than that, perhaps the portal should be just deleted and re-created in its correct location.

As a possible case of abuse I see that linked portals could try to be moved to block other nearby portals from getting linked, but if the abuse goes unpunished then it doesn't matter what solution you can come up with since there is always room for abuse.

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to people abusing this, certain portals had to be flagged by Niantic as unmovable. Items on islands like the Azores had constant location move abuse to cause long ocean links to drop.

This should in no way be encouraged.

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

It's worth mentioning that the whole reason moves were restricted like this is because PoGo players were abusing location moves to generate more gyms. The second Niantic combined the two games into one database, it caused negative ripple effects for Ingress, including but not limited to poor quality portals, wayfarer being completely overrun by garbage, every ballfield or piece of sports equipment becoming a portal, and portal moves needing to be updated via a Google Form.

• There are a few portals like that in my area. One corresponding to a library is in the middle of the street, and not even near the crosswalk either. Not optimal for positioning XMP strikes, unless you want to take risks with traffic safety.