Feature request: Treat key lockers as one single locker

HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many, many fun things in Ingress. I'm pretty sure there's nobody who plays Ingress who enjoys playing the side game of Hunt the Key. Like a lot of people I have an odd and ever-changing collection of keys in lockers-- local keys, strategic and tactical keys, souvenir keys, and a few other categories. Whenever I need a specific key I have to hunt through each one trying to find it.

I would love to have key lockers treated as a single locker, or at least have the option to do so. That would make it significantly easier to manage keys and find the ones I'm hunting for.

Advantages of keeping separate lockers: They can be named. They're pretty colors. Scrolling through fewer things at once. Possibly performance issues.

Advantages of a single large locker: There's no need to hunt through multiple lockers for the key you want. Keys to a specific portal can always stay together-- if you want to add more to your lockers you don't have to find space for them and have them in separate lockers, or remove all of the keys to rebalance inventory between the lockers. A single large locker would consume one inventory slot rather than 5-6.

Thoughts?

Tagged:

Comments

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm kind of okay with the current method, though my organization could probably be a bit better. Kinda nice knowing all the keys in X capsule house keys for X field, etc.

I'd prefer recharging from a locker over anything else.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

In my ideal world, I'd have 600 available "key locker" spaces that I could allocate to one or more key lockers however I saw fit.

For example, I might have one key locker with 30 spaces for souvenir keys, and one with 570 spaces for everything else. Call it a personal quirk, but I don't want to intermingle other keys with my souvenir keys, so currently, most of the space in that key locker goes unused.

• having a list of my keys available on Intel, and what capsule/locker they are in, means I don't have to go hunting through them to find what want. thank you C.O.R.E!

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

I would love an in-scanner search function, and yes having it available on intel is useful. The intel list doesn't help so much when you're in the field and need to dig out two particular keys for someone. Search also doesn't help with the problem of having to unload and reload keys periodically to keep keys grouped.

And OMG yes, I have been begging for years to be able to recharge keys in capsules/lockers. In my ideal world I'd be able to just pour a number of power cubes into a capsule and automatically recharge starting at the beginning until I either ran out of cubes or I got to the end of the keys. Failing that, just having a recharge button in the capsule view would make life so much easier.

For a while I tried grouping my capsules into logical sets, but logical sets never come of sizes of 100 and I don't want to waste even a single space in my lockers. Toxoplasmolly's idea has some merit, especially if the sizes were elastic and didn't require manual management. Create a group called Souvenir and a group called Local and a group called Aug2Giga and then they all just draw from the available key locker space as needed. I wouldn't have to want to manually allocate space to each group every time it changed.

• The intel list doesn't help so much when you're in the field and need to dig out two particular keys for someone

I think it's incredibly helpful for that exact situation. "hey do have any keys to <portal name>?" I know I do but I don't know which locker or quantum, so let me open intel and BOOM there it is listed in alphabetical order. so easy!

having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing a search feature implemented, but that's so far down on my want list that i barely give it thought

• TunkelTunkel ✭✭

The key locker concept is pointless anyway.

Just remove them. And treat eg. First 600 keys not as part of the inventory. There is already a box with total key number... Just add a -600 to the backend item count formula.

If someone wants to store specific keys: use normale capsules.

It's just insane to recharge portals if the keys are stored in 6 different capsules. Either way, yeah, please do anything to make it easier.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

You can rename the lockers. I name mine for cities and regions and put those keys in the locker I want to save.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The capsule and lockers exist exactly to organize them. Your ideas just destroy the whole point. It's your fault if you can't organize them well.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@grendelwulf My key "collections" rarely group nicely into groups of 100. I'm more likely to have 137 keys from one area and 37 from another and 52 keys from a third and 46 for that field next month and... And then someone drops me another 25 keys to that other area and now I have to yank keys out and play tetris with the groupings to fit them in as efficiently as possible, and then rename all of the lockers. This is the sort of tedious busywork that doesn't do anything to improve the fun level of Ingress. Well, maybe a few people enjoy that but I doubt most do.

Key locker space is really just X inventory slots divided up into fixed-size buckets, but those fixed sizes are very rarely to be the right ones for the way people group keys.