What is your longest drone flight distance?

My drone just got recalled after a 63 km flight from Dortmund to Krefeld, Germany?

What is your longest distance?

Comments

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently 71km, and I think that I have a few more until I hit the maximum possible in that direction. I think I can get 100km if I launch from somewhere other than home.

• Neku69Neku69 ✭✭✭✭

how can you do that?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

9km only.. ran out of portals inrange to jump to :(

• liyu1liyu1 ✭✭✭

0 km. Honestly don't care to bring my drone as far as i can 🙊

• Quoting from a email that sent from NIA.

INCREDIBLE DRONE FLIGHT DISTANCES FROM /U/M4DSEAS0NOne of our Agents, with Reddit username /u/m4dseas0n, put together two astounding Drone flight paths, one in the Chicago and Milwaukee areas and one in the greater Toronto area. The first path spans 222.3 kilometers from Goodenow, Illinois to Port Washington, Wisconsin. The second path spans 128.59 kilometers from Hamilton, Ontario to Courtice, Ontario, and relies only on existing Portals. 

• My longest is from my place to other side at 42km, will,plan better next time i feel like it with start at DBay so i can crack 50

• 43 km in Southern Finland. Couldn't figure out any longer possible path in the area where I live when I did that a month or two ago.

• To launch from somewhere other than home, you must physically go there.

I suggested a change of rules, so that you can launch from any of your keys ... and got nothing but dislikes.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

i know, i dont bother with that how long send since we dont have medal anyways... but why is it tracked then?

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@mortuus Niantic sometimes adds badges later for things that have been counted for a long time. Illuminator is a prime example of that. (I wish they'd do portal neutralized and fields/links destroyed.)

For some of us the number is more interesting than the shiny pixels on our profile.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

The drone is still in beta or "lets see what y'all can do with it" and maybe we'll add a V2 drone or something else. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much said since, I think because most of their efforts seem to be placed on portal scanning and the battle beacon thing. I fear the drone was a quick idea to help deal with covid-19 and keep sojourner streaks alive. Would love to see them come back around to this and a medal would certainly be nice.

• 9 km. And ran out of portals in sight.

• Best I could do was 14km when I launched in Boston, Got up to Arlington. Probably could have done better. Last weekend went to Manhattan launched from Washington Square in Greenwich Village. Am in Yonkers now 24km and still going. I have generally found that areas closer to my home in North Oxford MA are effectively drone range "islands".

• TrerroTrerro ✭✭✭

One town over. It's been parked on a cluster of 3 8's for several weeks. :)

edited July 2021

Sitting at 100km in Washington State not long after it got released. Don't think anything longer is possible in this state. Until there is a medal for drone distance, I will continue working on the maverick medal.

edit: Would like to add that I'd rather see a unique drone visited layer added to compliment the maverick medal, before working on a new medal.

Post edited by ZeroHecksGiven on
  • kittysukittysu ✭✭✭

I'd like a unique drone visited layer - but that has nothing to do with Maverick. You do not need to hack a portal to get a unique visit credit, and you can hack the same portal every time for your Maverick count.

My longest journey is 156km - and I reckon that is the furthest possible in the UK.

edited July 2021

Sorry, you're right. I was still half asleep at that point and I'm using the maverick medal as a way to work on that metric as I assume at some point it will get added. But you're also right about still needing the layer, lol :)

• spinyukspinyuk ✭✭✭

29km - I scoured the map and the most portal dense area to me within a sensible distance is the south coast of the UK. Handily, I had a customer visit planned there, so dropped my drone while at their workplace, but while it looked like I could zip all along the coast, there is a gap where even though I can see a portal to hop to, it's just out of range so the scanner wouldn't let me select it :/

I think maybe somewhere in London might have a good go at a longer distance, but -waves hands- the current situation means I'm not going to travel there just for ingress.

• spinyukspinyuk ✭✭✭

out of interest where abouts did you do your 'flight' ?

• JeroenixJeroenix ✭✭✭

43 km in the Netherlands. Tricky to traverse the farmlands and open fields, so I tried to move through the bigger cities.

• kittysukittysu ✭✭✭

Across London - I am pretty sure that is the best place in the UK. I looked at some of the other major English cities, and they didn't come close. Same for Glasgow/Edinburgh. Don't think I looked at Wales, but don't imagine Cardiff/Swansea are realistic prospects either.

My first flight across London was 86km - that was (almost) without using key jumps. I got an extra km from a couple of keys at the start. Later, I collected keys and set my drone off to the east of London, and fortunately made it across. (I'd initially started at the west, intending to collect keys for the east at a later date, but my drone was force recalled before I got very far). Key collection was, of course, juggled around the various lockdowns and restrictions we have had - taking students to/from university helped enable some of the travel required.

• 67km in Barcelona's coast. I was missing a key to continue the travel (my calculation was around 90km) but drone got returned before I could arrange the missing hack key