The new look is hard to read

I love the aesthetics of the new forum! It looks much more polished than the previous one.

The white-on-dark text is difficult to read, though. I had to take a break from it after just a few minutes because it was giving me a headache. Would it be possible to keep the general aesthetics and flip the message content back to black-on-white please, or at least to make that available as an option?

Also, take a look at the dialog for adding a tag. The text is white on a very light grey and is nearly illegible.

Comments

• For me personally, it's far easier to read. They could maybe dull the white a bit, but otherwise it's great. I've been using a Dark Reader to get the same effect for a long time, and it's good to have it inherent.

I would imagine there's still work going on to change some of the elements, because the Comment box is bright white with black text still, which definitely disturbs the point of it.

Ingress is a 'dark' game, and the dark forum aesthetic is definitely in keeping with the game. Tweaks around the edges definitely but I would not like to see the blinding white forums return.

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

I think flipping the background color with the darker color used for forum posts would help. Also, the white quote boxes look terrible against the dark background.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm all for making "light" mode vs. "dark" mode an option. I find it extremely tiring and painful to focus on large blocks of white-on-black text.

As far as Ingress being a "dark" game, I'd just as soon use a "light" mode version of the scanner, too. As it is, I have to invert colors at the Android/system level just to make the scanner usable outdoors. Otherwise, every reflection off of my phone's screen swamps out anything that Ingress might be trying to display.

• GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭

the thin grey line between comments is INCREDIBLY difficult to see.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the dark mode better but can understand not everyone wants it, there needs be an option toggle it on off.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

The Ingress font needs to go away on Desktop. It's never been great as a font for reading text. The font that is now on mobile is so much clearer to read (not because of dark mode).

• LlamazapLlamazap ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Much harder for me to read. I was looking for a switch to turn it back to the old white background, but I guess not.

If you look around on the internet, there's basicly zero websites left with dark background. I wonder why... 🙃

Post edited by Llamazap on
  • KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

no news for normal mode forum ?. @NianticThia @NianticBrian

The dark mod is awful and hard to read

• We REALLY need a way to toggle the dark / light mode. I can read one or two threads and I then I have a major headache and nausea. I rarely read the forums now.