Splitting the AP drop is stupid.

vimdixvimdix ✭✭
edited July 2021 in General

Chasing gigantic AP drops was so much fun and hype.

What possible reason is there to change it to this trickle of +125AP +500AP +whatever stream?

(remember seeing something awesome like this when you blew up a huge enemy starburst?)

I literally had an album of screenshots to remember the best starbursts I chased down. Sad to see this hype thing taken out of the game.

Tagged:

Comments

• CrepitusOzCrepitusOz ✭✭✭

Also it makes it hard to tell when you have taken down a linky portal vs a less linky adjacent portal... it’s basically screen spam

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

It's because the game is faster now. It processes AP faster and only lumps it together when it is slow down.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

That makes no sense. Brian stated he purposely made the AP to not group together. It has nothing to do with speed.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

More numbers probably gives more of that DOPAMINE INJECTION

• MuzzgoodMuzzgood ✭✭✭

Can I turn it off as a setting if I dont care for dopamine personally but wants to see the +20% sight?

Attacked portals today i bright sunlight -saw nothing but a lot of ap numbers -could not see the +20% sight.

• MuzzgoodMuzzgood ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

I need to see what I am doing plz move these numbers away or make it configurable to turn them off?

I could not see the +20% sight in bright sunlight under multiple green fields, I only saw numbers then I cant fire xmp bursters.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

I hate to ask this but is that because the old fashion way of showing the AP within COMM just isn't possible?

I feel like some thought on being able to provide a summary of what burster did would be better? For instance, "Your latest activity gave you nn AP. You destroyed: xx Links, yy Control Fields, zz Resonators."

Post edited by MoogModular on
  • Ktulu789Ktulu789 ✭✭✭

I really wonder how is the development and thinking process inside Niantic. Every time they modify something, it breaks the game and make it less playable.

They think they add more clarity to the scoring but they just spam nonsense.

When I wanted to know the scores I just googled them and FevGames had a great table (and there are a lot of we've and apps with all the info. And when I needed to know which was the highest app per action I googled again and found that closing fields was the best single action and capturing grays was the second faster way to get AP. I got to L8 in no time. Google is my friend, Niantic... Not so much.

We need to know the damage per resonator to quickly find the best strategy angle and position from where our attack will have the best bang per XMP.

We need to clearly see when a freaking mod was destroyed when we are using XMP, and even more when we are using US. Be it a shield or a HS or an ULA.

We need to see when we got 20% bonus in our weapon launches. Some change in the circle color to red over 18-19 would be really helpful.

Not only single scores are unhelpful and spammy but I think that a daily and per session number floating would be great for engagement. Like having a "Yesterday you made 537.384 AP and your average weekly is 843.232 AP". Or "In the last hour you made 73.806 AP. Excellent work, agent!". Or "In your last login you made 238.549 AP, less than your average. I am getting worried about you!"

Those should appear as a toast, maybe for a little longer when logging in or every once in a while. No need for an OK button, not too big that it messes the map (WE NEED THE MAP, DON'T OBSTRUCT IT <thanks Niantic, for disabling and blurring the map when location or data are missing or we just swapped to Telegram and back for a sec /sarcasm off> let us rotate or enter portals to check name, key amount, mods or whatever we need to decide if moving or attacking or changing weapons, maybe we lock the screen, move, turn it back on... And we can't orient ourselves to the next waypoint until the interface gets location again, data or both. That breaks playability, immersion and engagement. We need the map and portal stats any time. Just lock the hack, deploy and fire buttons).

EDIT: Not in every login. The game freezes/****/fails unexpectedly every 30;minutes. That breaks immersion specially when the next login requires force stop and clear cache for it to log back in. But the daily I think would be a great addition to compete against oneself and keep a healthy AP income.

• TrerroTrerro ✭✭✭

I would suggest taking the approach to XP and destruction that Ragnarok Online took to damage. In that game, most of the time you cast a multi-hit spell, all you care about is the final total for damage... but sometimes you do need to see each hit, since really tiny numbers suggests wrong element, too much flat reduction on an attack with too little per hit damage, etc. It's also cool to watch all the little hits flying everywhere. So... the little damage numbers for individual hits fly off the monster, and a giant yellow total rises above it. You get all the data you need on how effective the attack was, and both per hit and total are always there for when you really need to check one or the other.

So... why not something similar here? You get a scrolling pile of AP values (including the ability to watch for ones that aren't 3 digit so you know fields are actually breaking), but you get a giant green number for "here's the total XP value of everything you blew up in the last few seconds". While they're at it, the giant green number could also have a 2 icons with numbers after them for "you took out this many resonators and this many fields".

• NelkataNelkata ✭✭
    edited July 2021

Unlike all the posts I read so far, I seem to like the many numbers on the screen - it somehow gives me the feeling of making a good accomplishments, especially when I pop with XMPs a lot of enemy resonators - it's pleasing for the eye :D

Also, there are times when the "large" number from destroying a starburst for example, still appears. I'm not sure what the programming logic behind showing them separately or together is - probably it depends on the timestamp of the action or something like this.

I like the change of AP given for destroying mods - it is really helpful, because it's good to know when you can switch from Ultra strikes to XMPs, e.g. Thank you for this! :)

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this change affect the speed of the actual game itself? Does it have anything to do with the recent horrible laggs we keep seeing in the field? Or the annoying times where Ingress just outright dies for a few minutes?

Either way, it doesn't work properly. I killed a portal with my drone on it on Sunday (for the fun of it), that had 4 mods. I never saw any +80 AP text listed, and did see a +1500 AP listed. I do have a nice video of it if you are interested in viewing it. 😎

• I'm getting split on 625 AP lol. 500 + 125 :/ So annoying.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I destroyed some fields earlier today, sure it was nice see the 80ap getting feedback u took out some mods but after awhile u get so much numbers u stop paying attention to it really..