Stepping out with Second Sunday

We are excited to introduce Second Sunday, an event encouraging exploration of your local area through Missions.   

Second Sundays for July, August, and September are confirmed. During these three months, we will closely monitor the community sentiment and user activity to determine the possibility of making Second Sunday a permanent event.  

July Second Sunday will occur Friday, July 9th 4pm UTC to Monday, July 12th 4pm UTC. During this event, completing ANY 6 Missions will increase the Mission Day medal by 1 count. Note that Missions must be unique, meaning they must be 6 different Missions and not repeating 1 Mission six times. 

August & September Second Sundays will occur on Sunday, August 8th, and Sunday, September 12th in LOCAL time, from 12am to 11:59pm. During this event, completing any 6 official Mission Day Missions under the official Niantic accounts will increase your Mission Day medal by 1 count. 

Official Mission Day Missions are created by the following Niantic accounts:

• MissionByNia
  • MissionsByNIA
  • MissionDaysNia
  • MissionsNIA
  • MDNia2
  • MDNIA
  • MDNIA2020

Update: We now have a partial list of 10,000+ Mission Day missions with links to Intel Map, viewable on a Google map here.

FAQs: 

Will Missions that I’ve completed in the past be counted for this event?

Yes, you can do previously completed Missions and it will be eligible for the medal increment.

Will completing 12 unique Missions on the same day give me 2 increments on the Mission Day medal?

No, you will only earn 1 increment of the Mission Day medal per event even if you’ve completed 12 Missions.

How do I find official Missions created by the Niantic accounts?

On your Ingress Scanner, tap the circle Menu button > Missions > All > NIA. Note that you must be in near proximity of the Mission for it to display.

What will happen to Mission Days?

Second Sunday is not a replacement of Mission Day and was created in mind to make Missions more approachable without the need to travel. We look forward to having Mission Days again when we all feel confident in exploring in a safe and healthy environment.

How can I submit an application for a Mission Day in my city?

Mission Day applications are currently closed while we coordinate to prioritize the applicants from 2020 which have been put on hold due to the pandemic. 

As always, please remember to be aware of your surroundings. We encourage players to follow local health and safety guidelines when playing Ingress (such as wearing masks and maintaining at least six feet/two meters of distance from other people). For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check COMM > NEWS.

— The Ingress Team

Post edited by NianticBrian on

Comments

• This is lame. I want real mission days back where we can travel and see people.

• TooLegitToExistTooLegitToExist ✭✭✭✭

Hi...there are past MD banners that I have not done yet ... do they still count for increasements at all for me for August & September?

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

I'm gonna have to mess up my scanner lines to raise the badge, since I already did all available on my city... And they're all in sequence already.

I think it shouldn't work on already done missions, to avoid this behavior.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

I hope this continues only for these 3 times and not anymore.

OR if you are going to make it a permanent event (hopefully not), separate it from the true old school Mission Day badge which requires travel, to a different new badge.

• I'm curious about this as well.

I'm not sure if any of the cities near me have had an MD before, so would prefer to not have to travel too far if I can help it.

• I'm anxious right now 🤩🤩

• Trying out the NIA Mission filter and it doesn't seem to show the previous MD missions yet?

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭

Can't create missions... Thanks to, "Unfortunately, we were not able to accept your Mission. Your Mission may have one or more of the following issues:

Text or images that reveal information about your identity or another player's identity, including (but not limited to) real names, phone numbers, addresses, etc.

An image with identifiable people or faces

Full or partial codenames/Agent names (e.g., "Mission idea from @neo" or "this is neo's favorite lunch spot," etc.)

Clues or passphrases that require contacting a certain person to get the answer"

Fix this before making a day for missions!

• BurliBurli ✭✭✭

For me the Nia Filter doesn't Work. I was nett to an MissionDay Mission....

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

Will the same Mission Day mission count for August and September?

This seems to be a bug that has been fixed in the newest version that just started rolling out.

• MorganzaMorganza ✭✭✭✭✭

This dispensation went away when NIA moved to automated credit for the event.

In the US, at least, most Mission Days had at least 6 missions which could be completed by a passenger in a car.

• Kathy2Kathy2 ✭✭

This is a great solution to slowly bring back Mission Days while the pandemic retreats. Big Mission Days that involve travelling and meeting lots of people can not be replaced by small local ones, but fun can be had with both and it is great to hear the event culture will live on. If the small format continues to co-exist, in the future separate badges might reflect the different approaches better.

• Esperemos que hayan misiones en todas las ciudades del mundo, si no se benefician siempre los mismos

• That is our same question, here in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, Central America we are very happy to have the opportunity to do an MD in our city, but the question is for the August and September events, there has never been an MD here, we have sent requests in the past, NIA will choose missions from those that already exist and will put them as official for those days or create new ones or they will only be those created in past MD

PS: PS: Thanks for the long awaited details!

• liyu1liyu1 ✭✭✭

any 6 missions for july. so that hasnt to be MD missions? it can also be a small banner from my little town?