Deliberate Falsification of Portal Locations

CrepitusOzCrepitusOz ✭✭✭
edited June 2021 in General

It has become quite apparent in my city that some players have worked out how to game the review process for portal moves and are deliberately moving portals to false locations for strategic or convenience purposes.

There is no way certain moves would have occurred if the review process was not being manipulated, and the moves being made are relevant to Ingress players and their play.

As an example, one portal - which is for an observation deck that is accessible in real life and visible on sat view - was moved a significant way onto bitumen inside a fenced carpark that is not accessible to the general public.

The reason for this falsification is its use as a field anchor... making it impossible to centre, hard to reach, and easier to defend by recharging. The key problem i see here is that the portal location has been deliberately falsified and somehow also made it through review while _very clearly_ in a false location.

This is just one example of many, including moves to make portals closer to work or home locations and other false moves to make it harder to access portals than what the correct location offers.

Is there some process to flag manipulations of this nature, and will Niantic pursue serious penalties against those who corrupt the game in this way?

In addition to these questions, I have a related feature request, which is to be able to provide a supporting evidence photo when reporting invalid portals and as a requirement when requesting portal moves. This could assist in the quality of the portal network. Recently I have reported at least 4 portals that had been bulldozed, two with bulldozers in the photograph I took that was subsequently rejected as a portal photo 😬

Relying on Sat View and expecting an impartial review process is not working.

Comments

• AzhreiaAzhreia ✭✭✭✭✭

When you encounter these edits on Wayfarer, you can submit a report on the abuse form. POI can only be moved up to 10m, so if that POI was moved more than that, then the edit was likely put in months ago, before that limitation was introduced.

IN any event, this forum is not the right place for Wayfarer discussions. There is a dedicated Wayfarer community forum that is better suited for this, and the Wayfarer team can respond. You can find it here: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/

• CrepitusOzCrepitusOz ✭✭✭

Well i disagree that I shouldn’t raise it here, because the falsified location is entered through the scanner by players of Ingress, and so it is a TOS issue with an Ingress scanner feature request included.

Also, this forum has a broader readership... but i will go there too, thanks.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

There's no point raising it here, as the people who are able to help you are all over there.

Well I’ve raised it over there, hopefully the Wayfarer people talk to the Ingress people and it isn’t a case of fragmented teams impeding a solution.

• ...to be able to provide a supporting evidence photo when reporting invalid portals and as a requirement when requesting portal moves. This could assist in the quality of the portal network. Recently I have reported at least 4 portals that had been bulldozed, two with bulldozers in the photograph I took that was subsequently rejected as a portal photo 😬

if your initial removal request is denied, you may then appeal that decision on the Wayfarer Community Forum. There you can add all of the supporting evidence you have for the appeal: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/categories/removal-appeals

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Devils advocate, but are you sure it's the ingress agents making the moves or maybe greedy PoGo players trying to get more stops/gyms instead?

My advice, even on the wrong forums. But if you have edits or removals that are needed, follow the steps and they will happen. But you have to prove it. No one cares about your story. You need to sell the truth. So file the removal/edit, it will get denied, you then go to that location and with the help of your own photos, google maps and other sources, PROVE, without a doubt, that the poi needs to be removed or in a different location. Then post all that info in the wayfarer forums. Truth > Story, every time. I've had many denied from the in game menu. Once taken to the wayfarer forums, they've all been corrected.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Crep!

I don't know anything about the portal, but I do know from looking at interactions on comms that both teams have been able to access it at different times. So claiming it is inaccessible is paltry at best and claims of it being deliberate and manipulative are unsubstantiated.

Simply put, if the portal is in the wrong location, put in a move edit to correct it. Submit a photosphere to help reviewers identify the correct location.

Also consider the ratio of players between Ingress and Pokemon Go (1 agent for every 125 trainers based on the number of active players). Being active on Wayfarer, it's evident that there are a lot more PoGo submitters and reviewers. So if it was moved, it could have been moved to benefit PoGo? Maybe it was just over a cell line or something, consider the usual abusive shtick PoGo players do.

Either way, Ingress player's aren't the dominate player base in Wayfarer, and for anything to be moved it needs to be agreed by all reviewers (doesn't matter what faction or PoGo team). If you believe there is manipulation happening by a minority of players, prove it, put forth an actual case and present your evidence.

If your edit fails, submit an appeal on the correct forum: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/categories/location-edit

Niantic also have a Google Form to submit reports of location edits over 10m: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeXTFKKkhHmapgsLN7VuhKHkT7qWj9bJjH9I2UWPf2qwo20UQ/viewform

Though this has never worked for me (I wonder if Niantic actually look at these reports!)

Personally I would rather see serious penalties on all the PoGo abuse, but nothing ever happens and they continue with their shenanigans. So just put in a location edit to correct it.

Well i disagree that I shouldn’t raise it here, because the falsified location is entered through the scanner by players of Ingress, and so it is a TOS issue

"falsified location is entered through the scanner by players of Ingress" How do you know 100% that this statement is true? Ingress and Pokemon Go players can submit edits, as can owners of the property through a Niantic form (ie. non-players). And what in the TOS is being breached exactly? Because there is nothing in about the location of Wayspots.

Supporting evidence for edits has been a request of thousands of people and comes up pretty much every week on the Wayfarer forum. It would be nice to have, but that ball is in Niantic's court.

• The issue here is that the portals in question have been moved away from their correct location. Whether it was done by Ingress or Pogo players is beside the point.

Several of the location edits seem to benefit the faction which use it primarily, including one recent one which appears to benefit a certain player as a work desk portal. Another one was moved 15m inside a restricted access area so it would be less useful as a Pogo gym than previously.

If, as seems likely, this practice by what seems to be a very small group of players is becoming habit then it is blatant cheating and should be treated as such by Niantic. Thus it is very relevant here as well as in a Wayfarer forum.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Submit location edits and fix it. Complaining about them won't change anything.

If you want support on the location edits, make it public, instead of being allusive and secretive about them. Since you both seem to feel so strongly about it, prove your claims and make the corrections to fix them. You won't see Niantic do anything - they have better things to do (like not fixing the comms bug for another year :P )

Cheating? Moving wayspots is not listed as cheating in the Terms of Service (see Section 3.1). Besides, it takes more than one to tango for location edits; (1) the person who submitted the edit, and (2) the multitudes of people that agree on the edit. As both factions from Ingress and all teams from PoGo have access to Wayfarer, claiming that one faction is abusing the location edits to get them approved is fanciful. A number of people would have agreed on those location edits, so perhaps they are true? I don't know. Show evidence rather making baseless claims and Niantic and the player base will gladly support you. Whether it benefits a player or not, just submit an edit to fix it. Submit a photosphere, or report an appeal on the Wayfarer forum with sufficient evidence to correct it. Links were all provided above. Take action.

The discussion of location edits is a Wayfarer issue, not an Ingress issue (Niantic separated how they work ages ago and have separate teams to deal with them too). So as others have said, take it to the Wayfarer forum as Crep did.

@oscarc1 you are conflating different issues, the portal I mentioned is not the one discussed on comms that is inside the construction area which in recent times has people walk past the “No Unauthorised Access” sign (with or without some nod and wink from someone in the vicinity) to access. That is a real soap opera! 🎭

The one I mentioned in the post here is a portal which could be publicly accessed by a long walk.

Your suggestion to submit a portal move to correct it is not really helpful because the point is that the review process is being gamed. This could be assisted by there being many locals in a small area that is around their designated review home location who are working cooperatively. So submitting a move request only is not a realistic solution.

There’s lots of rubbish submissions by pogo players for sure, but what is being noticed is the portals moved being of interest and advantage to particular Ingress players. You can throw up these alternative ideas and “what about” these far less plausible alternatives, and back it up with it isn’t really cheating even if they did it... or you could promote a fair play culture and support the idea that portals should be located where the real life feature is as a core part of the Ingress concept.

BTW I have _heaps_ of pogo players out my way and my local area portals aren’t moving around. 🤔

The Niantic ToS gives examples of cheating and says including but not limited to. It also mentions fraud, and I would consider knowingly submitting a portal move request with a wrong location for benefit to be gaining advantage by deception AKA fraud.

I would be surprised if you believed that attempting moving a portal away from its correct location for benefit is an ethical action and one that improves the overall game experience.

And as to yours and @ZeroHecksGiven comments on my posting here... I believe that it is of value for multiple reasons to publicly - in the Ingress forum - point out that this behaviour is being observed. The notice has been put and maybe some of those doing these things might pause and consider whether what they are doing is worth continuing with. Sometimes it just takes people to know that others know and then they behave fairly... there have been some good psychology studies on such things 😁

I will be back in the city soon enough and I and others certainly will also be taking other actions regarding fixing falsified and missing and duplicated portals, it is on the agenda for sure... in conjunction with attempting to work in other ways (like awareness both with players and Niantic) to reduce needing to do this cleanup work, or to make it easier to do.

Fixing missing or badly located portals is painful and full of rejection... and Ingress needs to help out including through the scanner. It is ludicrous that I can take photos of bulldozed former portal locations with or without bulldozer in them (yes, including in my own play space) and get a swift rejection of the removal because the photo is not connected into the review process, and the bulldozing isn’t apparent on sat view.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fair enough I was thinking of different portals perhaps. So why don't you list the portals you are in contention with? If they are truly in the wrong location, players from both factions (and games!) can assist to correct the issue. No need to dance around the topic stating baseless accusations as facts (that definitely does not foster a fair play culture lol).

The one I mentioned in the post here is a portal which could be publicly accessed by a long walk.

Earlier you said "an observation deck that is accessible in real life and visible on sat view - was moved a significant way onto bitumen inside a fenced carpark that is not accessible to the general public.", so is it accessible or not accessible? You're complaining about a portal location but then contradicting yourself. As I said earlier, submit a location edit, add a photosphere and/or provide evidence to display the correct location.

BTW I have _heaps_ of pogo players out my way and my local area portals aren’t moving around. 🤔

Yes I am well aware of some of the locals, the reason why you say that is because they have all long since done their changes to maximise the number of gyms in those areas. Including corrupting one portal (the original Lilydale Tennis Club) to change it into an entirely different one just so a PoGo player could get a deskie Pokestop, and then resubmit the tennis club so they get both. Long story, but this is around your hood and I don't see you complaining about it or even acknowledging such incredibly flagrant abuse.

The Niantic ToS gives examples of cheating and says including but not limited to. It also mentions fraud, and I would consider knowingly submitting a portal move request with a wrong location for benefit to be gaining advantage by deception AKA fraud.

Gives examples, sure, when you said earlier it is a TOS issue ("because the falsified location is entered through the scanner by players of Ingress, and so it is a TOS issue") and Rattus said that it is "blatant cheating and should be treated as such by Niantic", I asked for where specifically you consider these actions breach the terms of service and was given no answer. Again, you haven't listed the portals, so how can you prove something was doing knowingly, you are not in that person's mind! lol Provide evidence, not unfounded accusations.

I would be surprised if you believed that attempting moving a portal away from its correct location for benefit is an ethical action and one that improves the overall game experience.

I don't and I personally hate it, especially after seeing it so often from PoGo abuse. But if you knew how Niantic operates, they won't ever do anything. This is a small fish issue. So the only thing that is actually in your power is to submit location edits or appeals to correct the location. If they are truly in the wrong spot, fix them! I'll fully support you if you can credibly provide proof that they are in the wrong spot (no matter how minimal).

I believe that it is of value for multiple reasons to publicly - in the Ingress forum - point out that this behaviour is being observed. The notice has been put and maybe some of those doing these things might pause and consider whether what they are doing is worth continuing with. Sometimes it just takes people to know that others know and then they behave fairly... there have been some good psychology studies on such things 😁

Until you actually post which portals and who you know beyond a reasonable doubt is behind the "abuse", nothing will change. Whether it's an Ingress or PoGo related abuse, this commentary is just a drop in the ocean. Try checking out the Wayfarer forum and seeing the thousands of fake portals and location abuse edits that have gone through globally. Your issue isn't a one off, it is something that has been going on for a very long time - and unfortunately Niantic have done little to nothing to fix it.

I will be back in the city soon enough and I and others certainly will also be taking other actions regarding fixing falsified and missing and duplicated portals, it is on the agenda for sure... in conjunction with attempting to work in other ways (like awareness both with players and Niantic) to reduce needing to do this cleanup work, or to make it easier to do.

Fixing missing or badly located portals is painful and full of rejection... and Ingress needs to help out including through the scanner. It is ludicrous that I can take photos of bulldozed former portal locations with or without bulldozer in them (yes, including in my own play space) and get a swift rejection of the removal because the photo is not connected into the review process, and the bulldozing isn’t apparent on sat view.

I agree and glad to see you are taking a proactive approach to fixing portal locations. If only more people were as diligent, not just now when it conveniently fits the narrative, but throughout the many years of the history of Ingress.

Anyway, all this does is create a mountain out of a molehill. Simple solution: submit location edits, fix the portals. Easy as that.

• Your words sound like you are trying to trivialise the situation @oscarc1 . It is upsetting a number of players as it seems like it's becoming a standard gameplay tactic rather than just an isolated case from discussions I've read. You asked for an example, I can vouch for this one as I have been there several times and the portal used to be in the correct location at the POI. Now the portal is about 20 metres from the POI inside the international cargo terminal in which access is controlled by Australian Border Force:

https://intel.ingress.com/?ll=-37.847331,144.916818&z=20

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not trivialising, just speaking realistically. One only needs to wander around the Wayfarer forums to see how common this scenario is.

Is this the portal that the whole thread is about? That is supposedly inaccessible, yet its access contradicted later by the original poster and by yourself just now saying you "have been there several times"? The portal also appears to have been scanned by an Enlightened agent, so just how inaccessible is it really?

Looking at satellite view, it does appear to have a walking track leading up to it, however the portal does appear to be off the actual location. So simple solution, submit a location edit and correct the location. Add a photosphere if you need to, appeal on the forums if it gets rejected by Wayfarer (Do these suggested actions sound repetitive? They certainly do to me! lol)

The portal does appear to be about 20m-25m from the actual location, so either this has been moved twice (due to the restricted 10m for location edits (thanks PoGo!)), or it was in the wrong spot originally anyway (in which case, feel free to blame your own teammate there for submitting it in the wrong location - does that constitute a fraudulent action to stay consistent with the other claims of fraud in this thread? lol What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Either way, making unsubstantiated accusations isn't going to solve the problem. What will, is to submit a location edit and move on.

Feel free to share other examples, anything like this where it is clearly not in the correct location I am happy to support you.

edited June 2021

@oscarc1

Lilydale isn’t in my hood, I go to the lake but less than I used to, and I’ve done very little in Lilydale otherwise in recent times and little overall, especially off the main st.

I wasn’t aware of this shenanigans you mentioned, I will try to go take a look if I get close. From my own understanding from crossover ingress/pogo players, the main method of locals getting Pokémon features has been to submit as much mud at the review process as possible, looking for things in an area with a mind to the cells, and hoping some sticks.

By and large, additional portals near me have been reasonable, with some coming about due to relaxed criteria/culture around things like what is worthy for sport and recreation and footbridges 😁

It does feel like you are trolling here @oscarc1, as you have had it explained that this is a different portal to the inaccessible one AND that the location was correct on submission.

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

hahaha I remember (sure it still happens) of agents putting in location edits for anchor portals in the hope they get moved and from recollection affect the portals current deployment.

The simple answer is to put in a location edit that is very clearly on the actual POI and 2 spin your phone to try and get your gps in range of the portal and drop a virus bit of a pain but if its an annoying anchor I'm sure some of your community agents will donate

• So because it's a common scenario it doesn't need to be taken seriously? That is one of the main points here, that it should be taken more seriously and currently seems to see little action from Niantic.

There's no contradiction in having been there several times before it was moved when it was in the correct location. Since then, recently, it has been moved 20 metres from its POI.

It's not just that portal which prompted this thread. It seems a few others have similarly been moved. One portal being moved would be easy to just submit a move request, but when it happens multiple times there appears to be a systemic failure of fair and honest play.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to be taken seriously, don't come in guns ablaze looking to create drama with unfounded allegations and changing the story when caught out, that's not going to win anything nor is it going to resolve anything. Instead, focus on the facts: Portal in the wrong location, take the appropriate steps to fix it. Simple as that and with no fuss!

I just realised the five examples I linked to earlier didn't successfully link, so here is the last example. Same sort of situation, an info board along a water trail, except instead of being a measly 20m from the actual location that one was 740m. You might say they are equal in seriousness, sure, but which would you say is a worst case; definitely not something that is still accessible from the actual location within the in-game radius of 40m.

Since then, recently, it has been moved 20 metres from its POI.

How recent is recent? Since Niantic disabled location edits in June 2020 and re-enabled them in August 2020 with the restricted 10m move limit. Do you have evidence of its move? When it happened and where it was? It seems other local agents can vouch that it has never moved. So is this is just another baseless allegation? Claims can be made by both sides but without any sort of evidence, nothing will change anybody's mind. Regardless, focus on the facts of what we have now: Portal in the wrong location, take the appropriate steps to fix it.

One portal being moved would be easy to just submit a move request, but when it happens multiple times there appears to be a systemic failure of fair and honest play.

So have you submitted the location edit?

To end this conversation, here's a checklist of what to do (with helpful links!):

[ ] Submit a location edit in-game

[ ] If the location edit failed, appeal on the Wayfarer forum (make sure to post sufficient evidence of the correct location, otherwise Niantic will simply deny it)

[ ] Try the Niantic form to report a location edit over 10m (Note: there is no feedback from Niantic with this, so you won't know if it is successful or not)

[ ] If you are the owner of the carpark or the dock, you can report the wayspot using Niantic's request form (which is funnily enough on their PoGo website)

If these things haven't been done, then this entire conversation is for naught because if you know Niantic, Ingress or Wayfarer, nothing will change.

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure people can. But do you happen to know that the abuse form http://bit.ly/LocationUpdateRequest actually is not reviewed within resonable time frame, let's say, 1 or 2 week, once submitted the report of invalid portal location edits? The only way to get it resolved is to make a post on Wayfarer forum. Have you tried it in 2021 for ever once?

I'm tired of seeing such "according to the rules you should go to xxx" said by player seemingly knowing something while actually it does not work.

• Alfred42Alfred42 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Sounds like you are very familiar with Wayfarer but you are totally wrong here. When players encounter an abusive location edit, the very thing they should NOT do is to submit a counter location edit request by themselves to move it back.

Instead, they should go directly to the forum, writing posts to get it restored. It's because:

1. Practically speaking the google form that is used to report abuse and do location over 10m is NOT working and nobody is reviewing it. It's more than "not sending response", the truth is it's not being reviewed
    2. The abusive location edit is generally done in collusion. Players filing a counter edit request will usually not be entering the queue very soon, or even if so, will most likely be rejected or even reported within Wayfarer system as "abuse" by Wayfarer abusers, leading to the ranking of those good players going down and there submission quality history being worse
    3. If ultimately Niantic Wayfarer abuse team does a manual review on this portal, many relevant location edits will be marked as "abusive edits" and corresponding accounts filed them would be sent warnings or put on probation. However, it's quite often for good players to be punished as well simply because they were sending some edit requests on that portal to, while Niantic staff can not tell correctly between positive requests and negative requests all the time

Yes I know before writing posts for reverting some abusive location edits you have to get a denial email from Niantic as proof by submitting a location edit request first but that's prerequisites for location edits less than 10m. Generally nobody cares much if an abusive edit is less than 10m because it's hard to say it's abusive in this case. In 99.99% cases it's more than 10m and thus no need to submit a request as you suggested and waiting for the denial. This should not be placed as a suggestion at all!

• TrerroTrerro ✭✭✭

Current pandemic rules means it's unlikely it's being done on the PoGo side, as they've extended the interaction range on stops and gyms to 100m. It would be rather difficult to get a gym thrown somewhere that no one could hit it from 100m away - someone could theoretically do it to get PoGo's equivalent of a couch portal, but stops have no pvp function, so in that case they'd be better off throwing it closer to them, but completely accessible so it's less likely to be challenged. Additionally, payouts for holding a gym are granted when the gym falls, and cap out at 8 hours and 20 minutes... so if you did manage to put the gym somewhere that it would hold for days, that actually hurts you more than it helps you.

As for player populations, PoGo obviously has way more players than Ingress, which might suggest that from the sheer size of the playerbase, they're the more likely offenders... but you have to be a level 40 trainer to do anything with the portal network from PoGo, which is roughly equivalent to being a level 16 agent. so the percentage that can do it isn't very high.

That said, it's not allowed over there either, so if you report a malicious move thinking it's an agent and you take out a trainer instead? Problem solved either way.

• I do wayfarer from time to time and it's really quite common to se the justification of the move as;

"This pokostop needs to be moved to liberate the cell to create a new nearby pokostop'. Or words to that effect.

As you know you can report this as abuse within wayfarer.

Occasionally I see other iligitimate move attempts which I suppose might come from the ingress side - but they are much less common.

On the other hand the problem may be different in different parts of the world, and I can only speak for what I see.

That's correct. Never file counter edits which is dangerous and may be judged as "ab.use" as well. There are some examples showing good players receiving warnings together with those abusive players very likely because they want to make portals restored to correct status (titles, descriptions, location edits, etc) by filing counter edit requests. The system cannot always tell between good edits and ab.usive edits accurately everytime. if good players receive such warnings it's hard to appeal. For example:

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/8267/abuse-nianticcasey-please-help/p1

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

PoGo is actually very likely, as moving one Point Of Interest (PoI) a seemingly irrelevant distance but into another 'square' of the grid system they use for proximity clashes and gym creation rules can either free up a square to have a new PoI added or promote a different PoI to becoming a Gym at quite some distance away from that edit edit. If @CrepitusOz gave us the before and after locations it would probably be fairly easy to work out what benefit this particular move was intended to achieve.

• vidiconvidicon ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't swear exactly how long it took the last time I used the form (in early May of this year), because I honestly didn't go back to check, but the POI I submitted a location change request for using this form was moved to the correct location at some time between then and now. In general when I've used that form I've seen a response by the time I went back to check a few weeks later. It's not instantaneous, but I've found it to be very effective.

edited June 2021

Thanks for providing the feedback and letting me know it worked for your case. With regards to my experience, I have tried the form to report invalid location edits and abusive Wayfarer behaviors for around 25 cases. The problem is the report of those invalid location edits via this form led to no effectiveness within 1 or 2 week according to my observation and the players who did abusive Wayfarer behaviors can still use Wayfarer system within 1 months after my reports specifically presenting strong proof of inappropriate of certain players that should lead to a 7/30 day temporary ban.

Maybe it's because the reports have been reviewed but Niantic Wayfarer team did not see sufficient evidence provided in the form to accept my request, after all it's plain text fields that cannot present medias and photos and links well. Or maybe it's not reviewed as I feel but I just don't know. However if I provide almost the same content and links to videos and street views and photos in new posts on Wayfarer forum, my request would be reviewed and handled soon with distinct response.

That's why I feel like the form is not reviewed within resonable time frame in my opinion. At least this form should make reply to users that whether they have reviewed it and turned the request down or not. Thus currently I just go to Wayfarer forum directly and write posts and thereafter use this Google Form as a way to prioritize my request by directly referring to the posts when submitting the form, which would definitely helps to some extent no matter when they were reviewed.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to get a link to that form? Got a few cases that I can try. I'll come back with the results.

edited June 2021

http://bit.ly/LocationUpdateRequest is the formal short link generated by Wayfarer team for that form. Feel free to just bookmark this short link as the original link is too....

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, there.

Came back with an update on my requests. Looks like they indeed review these in a reasonable short time, but portal must be very clearly identificable in the surroundings. That is my so far experience with the form.

Gotta say too that I remember using this very same form when it was released right after the 10m edits location restriccion was activated, but none of the requests were reviewed.