Greetings from NianticThia
Thank you @NianticBrian, @NianticPooja, and everyone for the welcome! I’m really excited to be here and look forward to working with you to enjoy Ingress and our community together. I wanted to post something separately for those interested.
A bit more about me…
- I have a background in production, all the managements (product/project/program), events, operations, and community but it will take some time adjusting to how Niantic works.
- I love to travel - I didn’t start until way later in life but I’ve seen a lot of Europe (Austria, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland - not in that order) and look forward to getting back out there just as much as many of you.
- I take a lot of bad selfies - hence the stuffed animal proxies.
- While I play ENL hard, both factions are needed and important - I think I’m pretty xfac friendly/neutral but I’m sure my locals will call me out if they think otherwise ;).
- I have a sarcastic/dry (and inappropriate 😬) sense of humor. It is who I am and I will do my best to keep this in check because I know that it can be misinterpreted - especially for non-native English speakers - and it can be hard to infer intent and tone in text. My go-to is to crack a joke or make light of a situation to make people laugh and I realize that as passionate players, we may not always take things that way. (I know that when I’m having a Bad Day™, I don’t always read things the way they were intended.)
- Because I have worked with global communities for the last decade, I’m cognizant of seeming US-focused and will do my best to think globally. I will rely on our global Ingress team and our Vanguards, XMAs, and Trusted Reporters to help me with this and to consider things that I may not be aware of.
- Mountains, water, hiking, camping
- Some sportsball
- 80s music, cheesy movies
- Cherry Pepsi but regular Coke
- But Pepsi with grenadine? 🤤
- Also, Code Red Mountain Dew > all
- Cherry/Fruit Punch Starburst, Fruit Punch Frootsies
- Mexican and Italian foods
- Long walks off short cliffs; wait…
Things I’m working on in the short term:
- A LOT OF LEARNING.
- Distributed Mission Days and NL-1331 prep (as well as learning about other Live Event Things™).
- Plans for community engagement.
- Learn all the things!
- Things that I’m eager to investigate once I’m settled (in no particular order and this is NOT what’s been given to me by NIA, it is a select few of my own personal interests to talk to the team about and is not a promise of anything):
- Missions/Banners: What is the status of the authoring tool? How does the approval process work?
- Live Events: Where is it safe to do them? What can we do to support those who can’t be there?
- Welcoming New Players: How do we recruit? How can we keep them around? How do we help them get a foundation?
- Spoofing/Anti-Cheat: This is a big one; I know spoofing and anti-cheat efforts are a big concern in many areas (heck, one of my portals was just spoofed down recently) and I want to dig in and learn more about what we’re doing now, what we want to do, and what role I play in these efforts. In areas with spoofing problems, agents’ ability to enjoy the game is negatively impacted and that sucks.
- I plan to keep my NIA and personal channels separate because of previously stated humor disclaimer and so that when I’m playing, I can enjoy playing. (When I’m fielding or uniquing or bannering, I’m fielding, uniquing, or bannering!) See below for my NIA channels and I’ll link the main ones in my forum signature. Feel free to reach out to one I’ve listed to verify if concerned!
- Did I mention there are a lot of things to learn and wrap my head around?
- I read the forums and have read recent top threads.
- Once I have my bearings, I will do my best to be transparent and proactive. If I mess up, I will eat my words and I hope (expect) to provide new, fun TMs for us to use together (in a Good Way™).
- My official channels:
- Telegram: @TOASTYthia (adventures)
- Twitter: @NianticThia
- Instagram: @NianticThia
- TikTok: @NianticThia (if I use this, we’re all in for a treat 😅…)