Niantic Blog | Meet You At Our Live Events (Second Sunday Mission Day and NL-1331 tour in the US)

Comments

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

What constitutes as an easier time? The number of missions? The required number has always been based on the location and the preparation from POCs. I've been to ones that required 6 and few that required 12.

• vidiconvidicon ✭✭✭✭✭

"Easier time" meaning whatever it is that people mean here. It's not something that I care about at all. I assume the reference is to the lack of required travel. It's impossible to know anything else about how these new events may differ from previous Mission Days, but the strict count of missions is definitely not the metric I'd use. I've done 18 missions without leaving a single park bench, and I've done single missions that require hours of effort. Typically, Mission Day Missions tend to be pretty short individually, but they tend to be somewhat spread out so that agents see different parts of the host city. In most cases I've been able to complete the required 6 missions in 1-2 hours, or all 18 in 4-6 hours. But there are exceptions in both directions.

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

I would like to see special "Second Sunday" missions/banners pop up in certain areas, like the ones for IFS before it went virtual. I'm guessing that will be up to players, hopefully NIA will give same priority to those in the approval process.

There have been Mission Days as completely separate events. Why does it matter if it's not with an anomaly?! I am also certain Europe has had separate MDs and NL-1331 events in the past when US did not.

The only people here watering down the quality of Mission Days are the ones gatekeeping it. Even before any announcements are made!

• NikaKorNikaKor ✭✭✭

I mean the level of organisation of the individual MD. We had our last anomaly on 25 June 2016, so all the other Mission Days were separate from the anomalies, but maintained the same level of organisation.

Again, if Niantic is still thinking about whether to give +1 to the old medal or make a new medal, and read this thread on the forum, I'd like them to realise that at least two people here would like the second option. That's all there is to it.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

It literally says "Meet You At Our Live Events" in the title and "NL-1331 Meetups" in the post.

edited June 2021

We need more details from Niantic about these events, but so far, it sounds to me like Mission Days will be able to be done solo without being around other people.

NL-1331 looks like it will continue being an event that involves people gathering. Niantic will need to be mindful of where they are hosting these events. But right now Oakland, CA looks like one of the safest places you can probably host an event.

• Im looking forward to hearing more information on this concept.

I am assume it will be similar to First Saturday in that an ENL and a RES agent will need to coordinate the logistics locally - set the location, and maybe set up the missions, and then people register their interest and do the missions on the day.

• Without commenting one way or the other about whether or not there should be a different badge - when the virtual FS began, the existing FS badge received the increments.

No new badge was involved.

So, simply going on past form, I would speculate that the same would happen with the MD badge.

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

I am on the fence about this. On the one hand, I'm happy to increment my Mission Day badge a few times. But if "Second Sunday Mission Days" are to be a regular thing, then I really do think this cheapens the Mission Day badge. I don't care if this is "Gate keeping", the point of a game is that it is to have challenging elements to it and for Ingress in particular the fact that some travel is necessary for many of the badges is part of the fun.

In any case, it wouldn't be hard for them to find artwork for a new badge for Second Sunday Mission Days, since they could use the badge they got rid of.

• spicyheartspicyheart ✭✭✭

i am hoping not like an fs where everyone need to get together. solo would be better as people have other things going on in their lives. 2 weekends in a row for xfac would be more difficult as well as it would most likely be the same faction organizers. plus time availability of a sunday (or most any days) are different for everyone. i am an early bird, where as some of my team mates are night owls while others fall in the middle.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Boohoo, agents have always been unable to attend certain events, be it too far, no cash, clash with real life events.

Build bridge, get over it.

What I really want to know is why Niantic marketing didn't post to forum as well as web site. If you need assistance with event notification and organising, I'm free to offer advice/help out.

Now thinking about it, it looks like something they might want to at least test out given they provided three dates.

• milofargmilofarg ✭✭✭

Some agents will earn their onyx FS badges by the end of the year. Niantic probably wants to start another monthly event to keep people returning, so I'm guessing it will be an all new badge.

• lagmarleylagmarley ✭✭
    edited June 2021

We are waiting for more informations but not the 10 July an event like MD irl ask an organisation. Maybe Niantic can clarify the initial post.

• Hurry up and tell us where the events are so we can make plans!

• DaxSilvanDaxSilvan ✭✭
    edited June 2021

While I agree that the old format was an enticement to travel and see different places I think that can still be done with this new format. Nothing is stopping you from going to Paris, Lisbon, or Tokyo to do a banner mission there.

However, travelling to do a mission day isn't always in everyone's budget. This democratizes the game a little bit and there's nothing wrong with that in my book.

What I hope happens is that this incentivizes local communities to advertise their cool banners to players that may be interested in travelling.

• Well - if we actually knew something about some "new format" I might agree with you.

Or not.

• MorganzaMorganza ✭✭✭✭✭

There are places where you can get Onyx SpecOps without leaving your hometown.

There are people who have published and unpublished hundreds of missions in their own neighborhood. (Me? I don't think I'm up to hundreds, but yeah I've had to unpublish some of my babies to make room...)

While doing missions drives a lot of exploration, it's not even slightly required.

My vote is that a new type of event should be a new badge, hopefully in the long term we will be able to have both.

As for Covid concerns, most people in most places in the world can safely go for a walk downtown with members of their own household. These Second Sundays seem explicitly designed to not require players to gather in any one place.

Niantic could quash a lot of speculation about how these events will work by telling us more, but nah. Sure would be nice to know how to plan for this event.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

They need release all details not just a few days before it starts, some users need to plan if they need go outside their local area to do banners, i hope before end of this month they give us full details .

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing is stopping you? There's a pandemic going on!!!!

It is literally illegal for me to go to any of those countries.