Format of Anomaly in the pandemic time?

MrVerseMrVerse ✭✭✭

Recently during mod madness event, it is hinted that there will be anomaly event prepared.

This is a good development. However there are several consideration related to Covid-19 pandemic that may affect the format of Anomaly such as :

1. Vaccines are not evenly distributed all over the world.

2. Local regulations to handle pandemic which varies each places.

3. Travel restriction in which some countries are banned to enter other countries.

4. Uncontrolled behaviors which may trigger the rise of infected number.

5. Curfew which will decrease the play time.

The question : What is the format of anomaly so that we can overcome the above considerations?

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

They just teased it. We will have to wait until a official statement.

Most likely to be an anomaly on a "covid-free" country, with each agent resolving its own challenges to get there...

Unless they're gonna develop a new format for being global, with a wider timespan to acomplish the goals.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

Anomalies have always been an evolving, changing thing — and I've personally enjoyed that. I suspect that we'll see even more evolution in response to the pandemic.

The upcoming Mission Days, whose details also have yet to be announced, might give us some idea of how Niantic will be approaching events. We just need to be patient and wait for details.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

my guess is that first anomaly will be in CA, USA... or Munich as it was planned before covid hit the world.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

only date / site meganomaly would be an error.

They should go back to a lot of date and site so people are not too gathered.

And as a personal choice i found big anomaly gameplay boring. too many people for too few portals it just feels like whether you're present or not doesn't make any difference

• My version of anomaly, and this is just my imagination

story missions, side missions, and global missions

story mission

related to the storyline in the ingress game:

1. complete mission day (second Saturday)

side mission

more towards missions that you can repeat with the aim of leveling or looking for AP:

1. create control fields and capture 2000

2. recharge 200,000 XM

3. make 20 links

4. Hack unique portals (50 portals)

5. deploy or upgrade resonator (100 reso)

6. deploy 50 mods

7. 200 glyph points

8. make 10 drone hacks

global mission

Join all agents in the world to complete missions given by Niantic (for example, weekday events), which can get prizes in the kinetic capsule. the global mission will continue to be updated in real-time (+ badge)

• yes, many agents like that concept, but it's just an example/imagination only.

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

Should be hosting an Anomaly down here in Australia, except for one problem state we have had next to nothing

I do like the idea of a Hexathlon (or Octathlon lol), might make for a good test run. Could let reps from different countries/areas submit a designated playbox. Agents competing both for individual glory but also for faction victory. Would mean any number of smaller groups instead of a couple of big ones.

• vidiconvidicon ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting that you would mention both individual and faction victory for a hexathlon. I've been working on sketching out an idea for something like that for a while -- I'm going to post it as a separate thread.

• MrVerseMrVerse ✭✭✭

Formats that I can think right now :

Site :

1. Sattelite sites are necessary, restriction during covid unable us to travel freely to other country. Satellite site must be area where pandemic is under control.

2. Remote participation should be enabled : remote recharge, intel operator, decoding, etc.

After Party & Niantic officials for satellite site :

1. Niantic does not have to host after party and assign their officials to every site.

2. After party or result of each side can be transmitted online via certain channel, let's say youtube live, facebook live, instagram live etc...

This is legacy of pandemic : not all meetings need to be phisical, online is acceptable now, it also can save cost for Niantic .

Challenges :

1. Anomaly zone needs to be set wider than it used to be, for phisical distancing reason.

2. Decoding challenge is included in every anomaly to enable more participation.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Brian said after Umbra that he wants niantic presence for next anomalies or something? I doubt we will see sattelites in the beginning. They will start small with maybe first anomaly in the US ? easier for them to organize too and not so long travel for niantic staff.