Inaccessible portals

Hey all, pretty new to the forums... wondering how we can report portals that are not accessible? I found a TON that are on military bases and trying to get access to them will get you turned back with a quickness (this is from personal experience). There are also others that are in private neighborhoods with gates and guards as well.

What is the protocol for this?

Tagged:

Comments

• Thanks for your reply, Ark. Not what I was hoping to hear but it is what it is.

• MrCathulhuMrCathulhu ✭✭✭

There aren't supposed to be any new portals submitted or approved for restricted military access only areas but existing ones are grandfathered in.

Which is a bizarre decision given how in most of the world they frequently arrest and even imprison people for taking photos or "acting suspicious" around military bases, let alone in them.

• JukkaJuuJukkaJuu ✭✭✭

This is the real problem in this game. Impossible and hard to reach portals. Someone with access to such places will always take advantage of this, make a big field that might cover entire cities and then just charge these portals. Other players get bored and quit. Then the makers of these permafields come here to wonder when no one is playing anymore.

The mere fact that someone else can stop you from playing at any time is enough to prevent the game from being reinstalled.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

While the portal may be valid, I wonder how you fight it when the access to it is not valid at all.

These kind of portals tend to benefit spoofers!

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

POI on military or private company land without any public access should have been removed like the ones in school.

Not sure why nia like them. It's just lazy & lame advantage.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

The private neighbourhood ones are allowed, bith while reviewing and older ones. The military bases you could email the general in charge of the base and explain that there are things from a game on the base that people may try to get to, then they mught decide to email biantic to get them removed, if not, im afraid you are out of luck there

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minor fyi; all "Wayfarer" discussion has been moved over to a dedicated forum over at https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com Just log in with your preferred account, Ingress or otherwise.

As for whether or not a location is "grandfathered" or not, that should depend on when it was accepted. ie. If somebody submits a location on a military base (or other invalid location) TODAY and the reviewers accept it? Then those reviewers did not do their job correctly, the wayspot shouldn't have been accepted into the database and (in theory) should be easily and immediately removed.

But my experience (and my repeated complaints to @NianticCasey continue to go unresolved) is that once something is in their wayspot database, it effectively becomes "grandfathered" and they won't remove it, even if it broke rules to get accepted. Sigh.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

We're lucky in NA that lots of military bases are not like it is in more contested countries where you will get shot trying to approach them. It's apparently warped their perception that it is okay, but clearly Pokemon Company didn't agree which is why spawns are geo-fenced off. At least Pokemon Go can completely ignore the bases, no need to be there... Ingress? It's all about them. You are actively encouraged to get portals only you or your team have access to.

Just wait for the day a mega field happens from 3 restricted anchors and blocks play for the entire country.