Did anybody noticed changes in drone range?

I've farming keys a lot preparing to max out my drone distance stat and I noticed that the usual tricks for the extended range, beyond the S2 limit, are not working for me anymore.

Load the key, recharge, put the key in capsule... But no success when a few days back everything was working.

Not sure if it started with new version

Tagged:

Comments

• I have the same problem. I have a key for a portal 880 m away from the drone, and cannot see it in drone view.

I hope Niantic will fix this, but I don't even know if they considered jumping with keys as a feature or a bug. It was very nice how the player community figured out how drone distance is determined, and how to use the keys for long jumps.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

It was probably more a bug, and so they fixed the bug abuse.

There's no reason for the drone to see more portals because of keys

• Probably it was a bug, because sometimes you would also see portals from your local area in the drone view, when the drone was in a completely different place. I am glad I got to 90 km with a long jump :)

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

The drone view is technically a modified remote portal view. The drone should be able to see a bit more range than keys do.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems to be working for me. Just did a 1.1km jump.

• kittysukittysu ✭✭✭

Which version are you referring to - I've had no problems in 2.72, which I would guess is the newest when you posted as 2.73 was not announced until the day after your post and usually new ones aren't available to download until a few days after announcement.

I did a jump of just over 1.2km on Saturday or Sunday - either way this is since I updated the scanner.

Occasionally I have found the key trick doesn't take, and I need to take a look at the key once or twice more.

I also find the best way is to just look at the key - either in a capsule or the inventory carousel - making sure you give the app time to load/update the reso status.

For reference, I've never used keys in caps or lockers, just my usual inventory. Though as @kittysu mentioned, it sometimes takes a try or five before it takes.

• PerroVerdPerroVerd ✭✭
    edited June 2021

Yes, version I was talking was 2.72, but also now I noticed that everything went back to normal. I can see portals in the extended range, maybe it has been fixed (or broken again as it isn't clear if there is a bug or a feature) or maybe was bad luck not hitting the right sequence loading the keys

Post edited by PerroVerd on
  • BinaryPawnBinaryPawn ✭✭
    edited August 2021

I have the same issue. Jumps that I could do before are no longer possible.

It looks like they set a limit. Key jumps over 1km are no longer possible. Shorter key jumps remain possible. Not sure about the cut-off distance.

I don’t think they changed anything about the jump, they just introduced a bug that makes it tough to see portals beyond 1km, and impossible to tap on them if you can see them. The double overlay bug is supposed to get fixed (I think), but until that happens, longer jumps aren’t happening.

I just tested it and was able to see a portal 1.13km away, the bug wouldn’t allow me to tap for the move

• kittysukittysu ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

Similar to you - I was able to see a portal approx 1km away, but unable to select it for the move. This particular jump is usually easy to spot and make. I have tried looking for portals almost 1.25km away - a tough spot at my latitude - and could not see them at all. Shading and extra graphical features obscure too much of the screen. The longest jump I have successfully made since this problem started is approx 975m.

Sadly my drone was force recalled earlier and, while we have the double overlay bug preventing longer jumps, my drone travel is far more limited than I am used to.

And now the graphics are annoying in another way.... I keep tapping on the XM circle to look at my profile instead of leaving the drone screen first. Of course, it does nothing except irritate me.

Fingers crossed we get the fix for this soon.... it feels like a while since we got the 2.77.1 release notes, and they expected this to be fixed in 2.78.1