Turn off Scout Controller notifications?

ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2021 in General

Would love to turn these notifications off. Is there even a reason to be notified for this? There isn’t a “real” reason to be a scout controller, so once I am one, I have no reason to be a controller again. Regardless, getting 30-50 notifications in a row over the course of 20-30 minutes is just obnoxious.

To clarify, the notifications I’m getting when someone becomes the new scout controller are the ones I’d prefer to turn off. But, I’d be fine with turning them all off just the same (new scout controller and losing scout controller).

Please halp!

Post edited by ZeroHecksGiven on

Comments

• Normally, you only get the notifications after you upload portal scans, so that you can know if you uploaded enough portal scans to become scout controller for a portal, i.e. more scans than any other agent in the last 30 days. The notification is really useful because there is no way to know how many scans you need to make to become scout controller (again).

The yellow ring in the scout layer only shows whether you have been scout controller in the past, not if you are currently the scout controller.

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

I think @ZeroHecksGiven is complaining about the notifications you get when someone else takes Scout Controller from you, which are unneccesary because you have no need to reclaim it.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yes please, as i started scanning early i might still be controller on 5000+ portals and i receive hundreds of useless alert on those each day 😅😆

At this point it's just spam

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind the notifications, it's good to see other people scanning and knowing I got to many portals nobody will ever get to, it will be fun to see if anybody ever takes them lol

Also it's a good way to see who is performing legitimate actions in-game, as I have observed numerous times people uploading scans in impossible timeframes. For example they would have to be driving 100km/h+ (so using a phone and driving at reckless speeds even), but seem to oblivious to the fact that the portals they are scanning would require treks down trails and jumping over fences to get legitimately. Such actions are equivalent to spoofing and the notifications can be used as proof.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Actually not as a proof,because scans can be uploaded as a package from eg home wi-fi.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Combined with intel you can see the person is travelling, driving 100km/h+ and "scanning" while they are driving (without stopping) and uploading as they are travelling (you can't say that's not dangerous and reckless!). Noting the required trails that need to be walked to reach those portals legitimately and the actual time required to legitimately scan the portals, this would fall under Niantic's consideration for "Impossible travel times between Portal(s)". Unfortunately this happens so often, it's a joke.

Anyway, back to the topic. My notifications are off by default, so unless there is some pressing need to have it turned on (and get notifications late anyway), may as well switch them off and ignore it when somebody else claims scout controller.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Notification channels need a rework anyways, we have the app already separate the type of notification but on the OS level, it's pretty generic:

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

You can upload scans at your leisure. I uploaded some I scanned in Miami I forgot about that were in my queue almost a month after I visited.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I have portals I do try and defend or I’d turn them off completely. Granted, the comm/alert system is so wrecked I only get to portals about half the time anymore..

• It would also be nice to be notified in the phone when your drone is returned, so they can swap that in for removing Scout Controller.

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

True, I've been far less diligent at moving it since it went back to an hour. Sometimes the red light gets my attention, sometimes it doesn't even display. One thing that definitely gets my attention though is the notification for an attack alert. If I got one of those every time it was time to move the drone, I'd be moving it pretty much every hour guaranteed. I'd also recommend the ability to turn off these alerts in notification settings for those who don't care about the drone or just don't want the notification.

• 3car3car ✭✭✭

Not the solution but rather a workaround, try fiddling with email alerts.