Appeal by Ban by COMM

Today, May 21 at 23:16, 2021 (GMT-05), the following message arrived at my email, where it indicates that I violated the policies of INGRESS and for that reason the privileges of the COMM have been temporarily suspended , then attached the image of the mail.

My person is totally dissatisfied with this sanction, since when I wrote in the COMM it was not something offensive or insulting to any agent of my own faction or of the opposite faction, if not my comment was impotence since I witnessed the facts in the real world where two agents of different factions were fighting over the portals (in a few words they were mammulating each other) and when I realized that there was no one in the real world, I had the audacity to say BRONCA DE FLYS in the COMM, to that this type of illegal activity that goes against the policies of NIA, can stop between these two agents.

My person is totally dissatisfied by this 30-day suspension for telling the truth and witnessing it in the real world, my annoyance and my helplessness is that NIA does nothing to sanction these types of activities and less to this type of players than in truth violates NIA policies.

@NianticBrian @Azhreia

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Avoid comm never write its better so

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually you could have been reported for anything you said in COMM as "hara.ssment" if you are aimed at by some players with a lot of sub-accounts.

I understand that you are sad and angry but the only solution is to not using COMM at all. Yes I know it's unfair but that's the best constructive solution.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Niantic do the work! 👍🏻💙

@NianticBrian

• AzhreiaAzhreia ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtilectZed recommendation is the right way to go about it. If you suspect cheating, report it to Niantic. Don't call it out on comms.

Create a new report for each agent. List the portal link, the date and time AND timezone of the incident and provide a SHORT description of the incident.

If you need to create more than one report, it's best to use the browser and incognito mode. Else you'll need to wait for the first ticket to be resolved before you an open a new one.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

And keep in mind, if Niantic reviews the persons activity and does find that they were cheating, they may hold off on taking action to see if they can gather more data about the cheats being used, or to see if any other accounts get tangled up with it.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one warning for saying "welcome"...

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭

No, as far as I can see for most cases that are reported and discussed in public with solid, undeniable evidence of cheating, even if the suspicious main-account was banned as expected which is not the general case, its sub-accounts were not affected and vice versa.

If NIA OPS does wait to gather more information so that they could ban more accounts relevant then we should see multiple accounts obviously relevant banned together. However we can rarely see this happening. Not to mention that even a single account is hard to get banned of cheating.

The boilertemplate canned response of NIA OPS sent to reporters are "We have taken appropriate actions" which definitely means they are not monitoring and gathering information. The actions HAVE BEEN TAKEN and case is closed. Nobody will gather info for a closed case.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why I demand COMM chat to be disabled.

Wonder how many less tickets would be carefully reviewed...

• how would new agents ever find a community if COMM were disabled?

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

@GoblinGranate Disabling comm would be sad. While there are certainly occasional abusive comm messages most of what I see and participate in reads like, "Hey! I haven't seen you playing ages. Welcome back. I hope you've been well", "We're having dinner at (location.) Stop in and say hello", and other friendly social messages. Sometimes it's playful banter. I've occasionally used comm to warn someone about an unsafe situation, e.g. "Hey, I see you in (area). Be aware that there's a police action a couple of blocks away at 12th and Jackson."

And, very sadly, I learned via comms of someone's passing a few weeks ago. I'd lost touch with someone who used to play in the area, and because he had no other way to reach me he used comms to let me know of his wife's ****.

Faction chat still exists, I'm referring to COMM chat where both factions exist. So, not a problem.

I'm sorry, but it's way sadder to not being able to use it without risking a ban. The way I see it, COMM chats are nothing good and they are better gone. Less fights, less toxicity, less need to block people and WAY less problems for Niantic as the amount of tickets generated would significantly be reduced.

Friendly chats are more likely to happen outside COMM tab aswell.

Sad? Get out of the castle, my lady.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoblinGranate I'm talking about open comm. I routinely have friendly discussions with opponents in comms, and I can't remember the last time I encountered comm drama. I just scrolled a few weeks of open comms in my area and it's mostly friendly greetings and discussions, restaurant recommendations, invitations to coffee, discussions of banners, and one guy talking smack and not getting much traction. Maybe comm is toxic in your area but that's far from a universal truth.

Well, for the record, I'm happy to have COMM disabled in my area.

About universal truth... get out of the castle, my lady.

• Alfred42Alfred42 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

No. Abuse of COMM harassment report can be seen in many areas. It IS a universal truth. You just don't know it or have not yet become a victim, and actually many players won't be especially when they are not hard core players. However, asking people to ignore this serious problem lying in the process and thoughts of depending on players' moral standards to avoid exploiting it is meaningless.

To make it funnier, somebody will tell you it's expected and there was nothing wrong https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/comment/145557/#Comment_145557

How could you instantly claim that it's because the author of this post "calling people out for cheating"? I can see very clearly that @Danaeguis did not mention so and insisted the original COMM messages to be "not something offensive or insulting".

Now I'd agree that some players are happy with saying "it's your problem, not Niantic's under all circumstances. Good community management. You must have a lot of forum medals.

• Alfred42Alfred42 ✭✭✭

Which means occasionally Ops will leave the spoofers and just watch them bullying normal players and destroying portals and fields that normal players strive to maintain? Much appreciated!

• TrerroTrerro ✭✭✭

Trolls will use false cheating claims to engage in character ****, and even if you present damning evidence in COMM chat, then what? It's not like Niantic is reading the chat logs in 1000s of cities. So, calling out someone accomplishes nothing, and may in fact in itself be an attack.

Conversely, if you -do- have clear evidence, or at least sufficient evidence that Niantic should look at the data on the backend, then you can submit it and get the cheater banned. This DOES accomplish something, and if it turns out you're wrong when they review the case, it avoids a whole lot of unnecessary drama.

So, it's not a case of "cheating is fine", it's a case of "submit the evidence to get the cheaters banned, and otherwise ignore them, they're be gone soon enough".

• Trolls will use false cheating claims to engage in character ****, and even if you present damning evidence in COMM chat, then what? It's not like Niantic is reading the chat logs in 1000s of cities. So, calling out someone accomplishes nothing, and may in fact in itself be an attack.

Exactly this. Anyone who feels like stirring up drama can go on all comm and say "oohhhh I saw you [insert cheating accusation here]" regardless of whether or not it happened. That's why Niantic doesn't want people calling out cheating in comms. It's just not the right place for it and doesn't prove anything.

• Alfred42Alfred42 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Correct. It's not appropriate to call out spoofers in COMM for whatever reasons because it does not help at all and it's polluting the environment. However, the author of this post actually never said that he got COMM banned temporarily because of calling out spoofers and that's just a MEME reply. I've seen people complaining about being banned for totally safe speech such as welcome or hello and consequently the author of this post might be completely innocent and didn't do any name calling and this post actually might be irrelevant to spoofing topics. Plus we could only expect Niantic to review our reports and do something but there is no guarantee. It's a common case that we do reports and they are indeed spoofers not because our feelings but because they did pretty many supernatural actions but they are still not banned. With that being said, if the spoofer was not banned after reports, it does not mean that the reporters are wrong and players being reported as spoofers are definitely not spoofers.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Comm drama is a thing, some of it quite toxic, and until that gets straightened out, there will be calls for modifications.

There's the one person's smack is another person's that crossed a line that taking down fields/farms can't fix. That's the limitations of the format in a nutshell.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

@Mirthmaker I don't disagree with your assertion that comms can be toxic in some locations and that people will continue to call for modification. I just think that allowing people to completely opt out of comm participation is a better solution. If you do that you'll never see comm messages, you can't be tagged, and you can't be reported if you're not participating.

I also think Niantic can do a better job of handling reports.

• "If you see cheating, report it and move on with your own gameplay, don't call them out on COMM" - Niantic Support.

Accusations of cheating are considered harassment, and Niantic takes harassment far more seriously than spoofer accusations in reports. Calling people out people you think are cheating is a guaranteed way to a comm ban.

• edited June 2021

However, the author of this post actually never said that he got COMM banned temporarily because of calling out spoofers 

Um...

when I realized that there was no one in the real world, I had the audacity to say BRONCA DE FLYS in the COMM, to that this type of illegal activity that goes against the policies of NIA, can stop between these two agents.

That's exactly what the OP did, and said so above. They accused other agents of being a spoofer.

Post edited by Perringaiden on
  • MuzzgoodMuzzgood ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

This rule was stated in the old Community Guidelines

but removed by Nia with the document?

Do You have a link to the document You are quoting, I can't find the game rule current location/document formulated as Your quote?

The closest I find is this

This rule says don't contact an agent in Comm that you are going to report. But what if you are not reporting then you can't break the rule by calling out in comm?

Thx for clarifying!

@NianticThia

Post edited by Muzzgood on
  • gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

On one hand I understand the logic but on the other, it's like the British parliament, you can lie and lie with impunity, but be called a liar and the person saying it is the bad guy. I'm not saying baseless accusations of spoofing is OK, but if someone did spoof how can calling them out for it be considered worse?