App takes FOREVER to start up

RedMagic 6 (NX669J), Android 11, Prime 2.69.1

Sometimes when starting scanner app, it takes an EXCRUCIATINGLY long time to start the app. Here's a 4 minute video demonstrating the problem. This is from a fresh power on. I start with the GPS app, to show that GPS lock on is not the problem here. Also note the lack of a "throbber" loading icon.

The subsequent login (after clicking retry and selecting account, not shown in this video) happens within seconds.

https://paste.c-net.org/SundaesMining

Tagged:
6 votes

New Report · Last Updated

Comments

• GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭

i cannot believe i am the only one who has this problem.

• I've hit the occasional black screen, but it loads quickly, like within 10-15s at most.

The video you've posted shows a network issue, not a location or startup issue, which is why it goes to the login screen. It's slow because either the server is down, or something is preventing your connection. I don't see any indicator for it, but do you use a VPN or some other network proxy?

no VPN, no proxy. This was sitting on a home wifi, which i use constantly, and notice no issues. i'm using it right now in fact.

note the video lead in shows wifi at full strength.

How can you say this is a "network issue" with absolutely zero feedback on the splash screen?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe its your phone the problem? what phone is it ? i dont know redmagic ??

Also, how can it be a "Network Issue" if the subsequent login happens within seconds?

• edited April 2021

How can you say this is a "network issue" with absolutely zero feedback on the splash screen?

Because when there are network issues, the system refuses to authenticate and throws you to the login screen. I'm not saying the issues are with your connection between the phone and the Niantic front nodes. It could be between the Niantic servers and the Google Authentication servers, or between different nodes in the Niantic network.

But when the system cannot connect your app to the game servers, it hangs like that, then throws you to the login screen.

That's why it says this:

From the 3:45 minute mark of your video, thus "Network issues".

yes, clearly an "authentication problem", not sure if i would characterize as a "network problem" without knowing more about how Niantic has set things up.

that said, it often takes me 3 or 4 tries to get a successful login. the struggle is real.

This is still an issue

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

still believe the problem is the phone, maybe bad software causes it to glitch up ? u have no other to try?

i have no problem browsing the web. i have no problem checking my email. i have no problem with any other app.

it's not the phone.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Well im not sure could be phone since u are the only one i dont see it as a big problem reported by others like broken comm. Its not normal at all so long startup. Perhaps issue with phone software

edited May 2021

@NianticBrian srsly, this is killing me. half the things i try to do... log in... check comms... look at activities... check my profile... take FOREVER to FAIL and TIME OUT.

i want to help, i really do. i buy CMU, i subscribe to CORE. i love this game. but this breakage is painful.

you changed something recently, and it ain't good. PLEASE fix it.

edited May 2021

ah yes, you're the one who didn't know my phone manufacturer and couldn't even be bothered to google it. CLEARLY, you are an EXPERT on my phone, and your opinion should be regarded HIGHLY.

Post edited by NianticVK on
  • mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

not niantics fault your phone software is bad ,again this problem is not widespread clearly.

plonk

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Your device is very modern and SHOULD work.

Judging by your video, things like the GPS reception and Cellular connectivity. are attenuated,

That GPS app you used, proves this, because the ception from the satellites should be green ie good reception.

This is looking like a device issue, whereby, someone forgot to plug the antennas in the device to the main board. It is under warranty, and you should take it back to get it fixed or replaced

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Web Browsing, checking email, text and calls will still work, intermittently, as these activities do not use much data, and can work even on a slightest of 2G connectivity. Which uses a lower wavelength of signal to achieve

Unfortunately, 2G is not enough for today's data intensive apps.

I still recommend taking your device to wherever you got it from and get them to repair or replace it.

house wifi, cell signal is not an issue. sitting literally line of sight to the wifi router. as in i can actually really literally see it from where i am sitting.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

There are several antennas in your device. WifI might not be a problem.

Just in case you might think i'm an idiot, I have been working as an electronic technician for over 20 years, and seen my fair share of damaged, broken, unplugged and crushed RF cables, FPCs etc. These things happen, which is why warranties exist.

edited May 2021

At least you are justifying claims from a point of knowledge. Previous guy didn't even know how to google about my phone.

And for reference, i have a degree in computer engineering, have my name on patents, and have worked variously for companies that do satellite tracking, build military grade robots, etc... i too have seen mucked up cables.

Here's the thing, in the GPS test app, i get "first fix time" below 30 seconds. many older phones that don't cache the almanac can have first fix times of up to a minute. the game should not hang for 4 minutes and require a restart... several times... because of bad GPS.

If the problem is bad GPS, this can/should be communicated to the user (in an easy to read and understandable manner).

Post edited by NianticVK on

AND... it DOES work eventually, after 3 or 4 app restarts, me still sitting in the same spot on the same wifi with the same phone.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

This is the issue.

You have a high Signal to Noise Ratio, ie low signal.

This is indicitive to me as a damaged, crushed or partially unplugged GPS antenna.

Your device is from Nubia, a well established and recognised brand in India and other places.

The company has had issues with poor manufacturing quality before.

So it adds up that there is likely a manufacturing defect, given the symptoms.

Without a reliable 3d fix from various GPS satellites, Google services reports no 3d position.

Without it, Ingress will report a connection error or hang, as it keeps asking Google services for a good 3D fix on your location

Post edited by Grogyan on

Assuming you are correct, i still assert this should be communicated to the user in an understandable fashion.

The GPS Test app DOES show a 3D fix at the 25min mark in that video. Claiming I "don't have a fix" based on a screen grab from the moment I switch off the GPS Test app is disingenuous on your part.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Above is mine in under 20 seconds.

As you can see, comparing your GPS to a working GPS, is a very clear difference

The screengrab from your own video, at 25 seconds has a an awful SNR, which is immediately apparent, from the red icons.

Where as on my device, the SNR of the various satellites is good to great.

The reason why that is important other than the rest of the video, is shows tangible real data. The rest is guesswork.

"Assuming you are correct, i still assert this should be communicated to the user in an understandable fashion."

In "normal" use, this data is useless to the average person.

Props to you to actually show your GPS SNR information, most people don't even bother with that.

Why it took a few restarts of your app, is because you had the bare minimum of satellites to get a 3D fix. Which in your video you had a 3D fix for 1-2 seconds.

I am trying to help you get back into the game as fast as possible, but Niantic cannot fix for a hardware issue.

And i'm providing you with information on the problem at the same time as I am fixing GPS issues on a product I am working on this very second.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI your video is only 5 minutes long

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Last suggestion before I quit this thread.

Do a Factory Reset of your device.

If it is a software issue, this method will fix it.

• Buenas, ¿es un móvil con opción a 5G? (aunque no uses el 5G). A mí me pasaba algo así y desde que le he quitado esa opción, me va, carga rápido y se inicia.

A ver si hay suerte contigo. Ya dirás.

Saludos.