Event map added to the Ingress Community Forum

We’re excited to share a new way to find events happening around the globe. Located under the Events section, you can now discover events happening in your community through the Event Map! Clicking on the city pin will display a link where you can find more information about the event and how you can register to participate. Currently you will only see First Saturday events on the Map. This Map will also be accessible on the Ingress website at https://www.ingress.com/events.

We'll continue to make improvements to the Events Map and look forward to sharing updates as they are made. We always welcome feedback and appreciate the suggestions you’ve shared and continue to share in the Ingress Community Forum.

— Ingress Events Team

Comments

• 😱

• Maps 😍

• Awesome feature. Thanks!

• Neato

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, it's much more user friendly than the previous list of events. Well done.

Perhaps add the name of the event to the pin? eg. "IFS - Honolulu, HI, United States" So that it can be differentiated once other physical events occur. Or add a filter separating the types of events? (IFS, Anomaly, Hexathlon, etc.)

• aaronviannoaaronvianno ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

I actually prefer the previous list of events. The map only looks better.

When I look for events I look for the "type" of event, not necessarily how close the event is to me.

This new map might be fine considering current travel restrictions but it needs to have a proper filter to actually be useful in the long term when events other than virtual First Saturdays will be held.

Edit:

Event types, dates & auto location detection would help bring it back on par with the previous listings.

• One issue with this. There's no easy time check. Virtual events (and even once we get back to normal) are often chosen based on event time.

Having the time of day and time zone on the tooltip would be helpful.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

At what stage does the event map get updated? At the moment it is still displaying all of November's FS events, when at this stage there are over 20 December events listed on FevGames. I assume it's just using Google MyMaps, so you could simply delete the current layer and import a CSV of the upcoming events.

And how do global events (such as the Eos Protocol) get reflected?

Also it's cute that the code for the map is taken from the HPWU site (Ingress and HPWU elements below for comparison) lol

<hpwu-community-map subforum="events" product="ING"
    <hpwu-community-map class="map__hpwu-com-map" product="HWU" 

• EOS protocol isn't an event any more, and even if it was, it's all of the world, not a location.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the event list has been updated. I bet Niantic was hoping nobody noticed it still listed November's FS events even though today's "November News Report" email said "Upcoming events" lol

Or should that have been "NOVEMBEREMBER"? Great typo in the email lol

• I just (May 2021) clicked three random events - all are from October 2020?

• In Russia and CIS countries, very few events were held earlier, this is very sad ... The idea of ​​making a map is super!

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

The embed map is odd on mobile - seems to take a lot of space compared to desktop.