Why agents can use two mobiles with the same account at the same time?

I discovered this looking the behavior of some agents, using two mobiles when they were playing, portals were neutralized like if two agents were using xmp... but I only had alerts of one.

For me, that play this game since 2014 this was imposible. Years ago, using the same account in different devices was an automatic softban. But one and another time I saw the same... and one day, I saw one of this agents with the same account in two mobiles throwing xpm ( the same account loging in both.... ). I was in a terrace and he did not see me. And another agent confirm this. He told that he liked to try if it worked 😒. And it worked.

Of course, I reported this to Niantic. And we asked a vanguard why to report this. But nothing to do.

My question is. Why Niantic allow this? Is very easy to avoid. Like years ago.

@NianticBrian @NianticAkshay @NianticKK ... Why this is posible? Can you do something? I think it is another way of cheating... but, you can not report it, and many agents in my community are doing this. I don’t, of course.

Tagged:

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

this should be considered cheating and against TOS. This shouldnt even be possible i dont know why this even works.

• Q45: Hi Andrew! Why Niantic does not pay attencion to agents reports? Can you confirm us if an only player with several phones, and one account per phone is not considered a cheater?

A45: You can have your account on multiple devices. But it is considered cheating to be playing on those devices simultaneously. It is considered cheating to be playing multiple accounts on multiple devices as well.

There was a good G+ post on this once, but this is the best 'verifiable-ish' statement on it.

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Statement is simply statement. Meaningless. Redacted softbans it but Prime does not.

I know several players who's been exploiting this "technique" since the launch of Prime..

plus a player doing Wayfarer Review all day long while playing Ingress at the same time..

Reporting to Niantic Support returns nothing. Hoping OP could get a valid response here.

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like a simple signoff command from all other active logins when opening ingress would fix this.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

If you suspect someone is cheating, just report them. https://ingress.com/support

It may seem that Niantic is ignoring it if you don't get an immediate response, or the person keeps being able to play, but keep in mind that Niantic can see a lot more of what's going on in the background than any of us can. Don't call them out, don't **** them in person, just report it and move on.

• GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭

UGH. That third party AMA archive needs to disappear. Niantic has changed their minds so many times about so many things, half the junk there is out dated, and used by yahoos to justify things that are no longer acceptable and/or claim that things that are totally fine now are bad. (mostly wrt portal criteria)

• It would be better if there were a clear statement from Niantic on these sort of "supposed loopholes" yes. But until then, we only have the text of those AMAs.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Then you wouldn't be able to use intel and play at the same time.

What does the "Terms of Service" have to say about it? If it says nothing about it, it should be allowed. If it's prohibited, it should be in the TOS as prohibited. There should be ZERO need to go dig up some 2 year old AMA (which is inaccurate now anyway).

• Yeah, it's this sort of mindset that straps phones on physical drones, and requires posts like this:

Simultaneous access should be stopped by the server, but while it's not, it provides 'cheating-like' behavior such as the new version of "burster stacking", and the 'air-drop deploy'.

These should not be permitted behaviors because games have inherent game-physics, and these methods violate that. And Niantic has said so before, but we lost all the hard statements in the G+ purge. Maybe this post will encourage them to make a new statement of clarity.

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

Game client logins and intel logins would be quite easy to be distinguished. I'm shocked I even have to specify this difference as the discussion is about the game client. 🥔

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I agree it feels waste of time only report someone and nothing happens, needs to be a better way dealing with such players. It should be easy for niantic to tell such accounts shared they have data we cant see. Harder report someone for irl harassment feels even more hopeless....

"Go to support and report there, not here" is a typical tactic to make you exausted and quit which we are quite familiar with.

No need to argue on that kind of "suggestion". They know that does not wash. See the original comment?

Don't call them out, don't **** them in person, just report it and move on.

You didn't even call them out and bla bla. It's not fair that you were criticized of or suggested of so firstly.

plus I always feel it funny, though I mean no offense, to see someone keep referring to the AMA archive more than 2 years ago. 2 years. A lot of things have changed.

Moreover, the person who organized the AMA has left. It's now @NianticBrian who is handling the team for product design. I am not familiar with the culture in the states but in our region, keeping referring to personal statement from ex would be seen as a disrespect and challenge upon the current.

If I were Brian I would also not be happy to see the historical AMA being mentioned again and again and players weaponizing that document to ask "Hey you Ingress have made statement then why no actions after 2 years". If Brian did not make any statement on a specific topic and there is nothing written in the ToS then I would see it as there is no statement and will not refer to the AMA from Andrew at all, not to mention endlessly.

edited May 2021

Nobody in current Ingress team said that the AMA you mention is still in coherence with their current route map or plan, did any?

I strongly advise that you refrain from referring the very old 2018 AMA in multiple posts repeatedly. This is not constructive at all.

Post edited by TheKingEngine on
  • HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

plus a player doing Wayfarer Review all day long while playing Ingress at the same time..

What's the problem here?

You've seen anyone attacking a portal, firing xmps at high frequency on the street in front of other players with his two hands holding one cellphone while at the same minute has his OPR Agreement counts increasing?

• These statements were made by a representative of the company, while employed by the company, for the purposes of conveying information from the company. They are not 'personal statements'.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope @NianticBrian soon work hard to resolve when agents use multi accounts. Now 1 agent can use more when we report Niantic do nothing to remove all accouts even the original account cheting agents do.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, look, another "Niantic being lazy" abuse.

Me and my mates share this exact experience.

edited May 2021

I hope so. But I don't think it would be resolved before the elimination of arrogant voice like "you are overreacting", "how could you say that they are sub-accounts", "Go to Niantic Support, not here", "Niantic Support sure has done appropriate actions so accept the reply email" on the forum.

• WikiBlueWikiBlue ✭✭✭

And why do you think 'increasing opr stats while doing another thing in-game' would be because of cheating?

If i'm home and i vote on 50 submissions, leave the house one hour later and start fielding... It's very very likely that my opr rating will go up while i'm out in the field. You earn a point everytime an agreement is reached, but you're not always the last voter that seals the deal. So it's pure logic that stats go up -a while after- voting.

OPR agreement counts increasing lags well behind actual reviewing.

e.g. i do a review on portal A, and several hours or days go by before enough votes come in, the portal gets accepted/rejected, and THEN my agreement gets credited to me. i may well be out playing when the agreement counter ticks up.

seem??? It's the matter of fact. Please explain this: https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/15010/hk-you-may-be-kidding-allowing-many-times-jogging-two-points-in-1-2-mins-and-100kmh-speed#latest

if you insist on your theory that "Niantic can see many things, they don't act not because they are ignoring you, they don't act because they have other plans such as waiting to gether more information and action logs from the suspicious players"

• @Tinkapr you owe me a t-shirt

• I've known people who use two devices with their one account, because the phone is easier to hold, but the tablet is easier to SEE. Once you're over 40 or 50, it is harder to focus on a small screen (or small type).

I've known people who would play on their phone, but switch to their tablet to nominate portals (or do whatever action they felt is easier on the tablet). Or if they got into a place with low cell coverage, one device or the other is more likely to get through. Or they have Ingress on the phone, and Intel on the tablet.

I don't think it's cheating. It's still one person, one account.

• I think that you did not understand me. I am not telling that to use one account in different devices is cheat. I think that I explain it. The cheat is to use the same account at the same time in different devices. For example, using xmp: is the same to use the same account in two (or three) devices than two or three agents using xmp. Don’t you think it is cheat? Then… can I do this? And every player can do that. Imagine… xmp from 10 accounts at the same time. Really?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe they are stacking xmps the exploit ? i hear this is still possible somehow... either way is cheating.